Squared off tires at the track? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Squared off tires at the track?

My track bike also happens to be my commuter. With 5 days a week of 30+ mile round trip to work, vs ~1 track day a month I've ended up with some pretty square tires.

The track days are pretty new to me, so I'm still on my first set of tires (regular Pilot Powers) that have been subjugated to track duty. I've noticed they've really lost their shape lately - the bike barely leans when turning 90 degree corners around town, but there's still plenty of tread left. Is this going to be bad news the next time I get out to the track? It seems silly to ditch a set of tires when they've still got 50% tread left. I'm running a fast beginner / slow intermediate group pace.

My next set is definitely going to be a multi compound tire, so that should help. My R1 has been off the road for awhile too, but should be rolling again to help soak up some of the commuting miles. I think long-term I'm going to ditch the R1 for something more reasonable as a daily driver and let the R6 be for track/canyons only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Moderator Narcissist

Bike: 2009 White R1
Re: Squared off tires at the track?

Hard to say without pics, but I'd say you'd probably have a hard time passing tech at the track with some cupped tires like that.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 02:18 PM
My R6 eats you.

Bike: 2010 Yamaha M1

Get new tires. Put the PP's back on when you go back to street.

NESBA A | CCS #686
///If you ride like lightning, you’re gonna crash like thunder.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJoe007 View Post
Hard to say without pics, but I'd say you'd probably have a hard time passing tech at the track with some cupped tires like that.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
There's no cupping yet, the profile is just flattened out.

Also, paying to have tires mounted twice every time I go to the track doesn't sound too appealing either. I might have to price out a second set of wheels...
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Moderator Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
There's no cupping yet, the profile is just flattened out.

Also, paying to have tires mounted twice every time I go to the track doesn't sound too appealing either. I might have to price out a second set of wheels...
I've considered this several times...

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM
www.1seven1.com

I'd say switch the order of your tire use ... use the new ones for the track (you'll wear the far edges quickly), then take those to the street where you can square them up.

I sell race tire takeoffs all the time. They're like new in the middle of the tread.

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM
My R6 eats you.

Bike: 2010 Yamaha M1

Build a bead breaker and buy a couple of tire spoons. You can't go fast on shit tires...

NESBA A | CCS #686
///If you ride like lightning, you’re gonna crash like thunder.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Moderator Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaatscootdotnet View Post
I'd say switch the order of your tire use ... use the new ones for the track (you'll wear the far edges quickly), then take those to the street where you can square them up.

I sell race tire takeoffs all the time. They're like new in the middle of the tread.
This is good advice...but the take offs you're mentioning. These DOT race, race, street?

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaatscootdotnet View Post

Not quite sure what you mean... it's not like I have a choice. If it were up to me, I'd be ought on the track every day of the week. I go as often as I can, which is about once a month, but the bike gets ridden on the street pretty much every day in between.

Anyway! I've got a longer term solution to my tire woes planned out. In the short term, I'm really looking for feedback on if a squared off tire is actually going to cause any issues on the track - ie, am I going to get a smaller contact patch or less grip when leaned over? Or is it just going to transistion to lean a little funny cause the profile is different?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Knee drags YOU!

Bike: '05 R6 + Vintage Yamahas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
am I going to get a smaller contact patch or less grip when leaned over? Or is it just going to transistion to lean a little funny cause the profile is different?
At the point where the squared off meets the rest of the tire, you are going to get a funny lean transition, and you'll have a reduced contact patch only at that point.

Not sure if you'd pass tech. Call them and ask.

Mods: Armor Bodies Superbike bodywork, Pirelli SBK Pro Slicks, Renthal 50mm Clipons, Bickle warmers, etc, etc...
Gear: ATGATT down to the mouthguard.

A few vintage Yamaha bikes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in