How fast/long should you ride in 1st gear? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
1st Gens Unite!

Bike: 2002 R6
How fast/long should you ride in 1st gear?

So I'm pretty new to riding sportbikes so dont give me too much of a hard time. I was curious since our bikes are happy in that 10-12 thousand rpm range, how fast or how long should you ride in first gear, second gear, and so on?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 R6
Re: How fast/long should you ride in 1st gear?

It's very different for every situation. In yours, being that you are new to sportbikes.. I'd safe as far as you are comfortable...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gens Unite!

Bike: 2002 R6
I usually keep mine around 8-10 thousand rpm. The reason I asked is because A guy at the dealership told me that the newer bikes can get to 80-100 mph in first and i kinda dont believe him.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 AM
TKB
I eat my R6

Bike: 2007 R6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by @R6ixx View Post
I usually keep mine around 8-10 thousand rpm. The reason I asked is because A guy at the dealership told me that the newer bikes can get to 80-100 mph in first and i kinda dont believe him.

All depends on how your bike is geared. Twist the throttle in first until you hit redline, that's how fast you can go in first. But be careful, it will pick up the front wheel at wide open throttle in first.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 AM
www.1seven1.com

As long as you can stand the sound of you flogging your motor.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For max speed, what TKB said. Redline in first gear is your max speed in first. Not much reason to *hold* a constant speed at high RPM. 6-8k rpm is great for holding a constant speed, then downshift if you need to pass or pick up the pace.

In most cases the higher the RPM the harder it is to hold a smooth, constant throttle.

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 AM
her name is Megan Fox

Bike: 05 track

my 03 with stock gearing would do just around 60 at redline going into second.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:

with stock gearing the newer R6 does like 85 or something stoopid like that in 1st at 16.5K.. On the 1st gen, if you rev up past 8k under normal everyday riding, you're gonna have a rough ride. Plus, if you rev 1st high, 2nd gear shift on that bike isn't too smooth. Shift around 6k or so in 1st to 2nd in town. If you're opening that shit up to take off, wind it up as high as you'd like.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 AM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
So I'm pretty new to riding sportbikes so dont give me too much of a hard time. I was curious since our bikes are happy in that 10-12 thousand rpm range, how fast or how long should you ride in first gear, second gear, and so on?
time to step off the bike and walk away...

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 R6 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
time to step off the bike and walk away...
Touché

Take it slow... No use winding out first gear if you don't have to, especially if your a noob. Have you considered underwater basket weaving as a substitution?

-Jes CRA #426E
Bell Helmets, AXO, Leatt, Dunlop
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bike: 2007 R6 & 2008 R6

I'd stay under 8k until you're a more experienced rider. There is no way for us to tell you how to shift because we aren't there with you. Use YOUR own judgment, the faster you are trying to accelerate, the higher you let you RPM go. If you're puttering around town, you should probably just keep it between 4 and 7k.

2007 R6
Currently in a coma
I Need Parts!!!!
Everything from the trees forward:
Clipons, forks, lower triple and gauges
race plastics accepted also
PM me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in