Experience my first crash at the track - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Track Whore

Bike: 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6 Raven
Experience my first crash at the track

Well this is my second track day.

Experience my first crash at the track.

Just a small bruise on my left palm near my thumb.

I was doing really good on my 2nd session within the 4 lap, but I came in a bit too hot on 4-5 turn and rear wheel skid a bit on the crack and tar.

They say someone crash on the 1st session in Group B with an oil spill on the track. I think they said it spilled on the 4-5 turn. Slightly off the race line. I felt my rear wheel wobble once or twice during my lean. Some of the people I've met say that also. Big Willow just got a new pavement on the track , but not all the areas are covered. You can clearly see 4-5 turn have cracks and tar.

Everyone says Big Willow isn't that excited and I do agree on them. There isn't many turns, just long curves. I'm not much of a speed person, but I would like to work a lot on my leaning and body positioning. It'll be the last time I'll be doing at Big Willow track. It's good for 1000cc bikes, but not 600cc. No wonder it's "The Fastest Track in the West."

Here's the video from today's track day.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here's my precious. Don't mind the chucks of rock inside and outside the lower fairing.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1. Crack the rear subframe with a small bent (By the tail light). Not noticeable, but I'll probably fix that by the end of the year.
2. Windscreen is crack, so I need to order a new one.
3. Race bodywork needs minor repair.
4. Possibly a bent frame slider plastic/bar.
5. Scrap brake lever, exhaust, rear pegs, and coolant cover.
6. Lost some clips and screws.
7. No damage on the fuel tank nor crack or bent frame. Thank god!!

I'm officially making my motorcycle into a full race bike next year.

Feel free to comment or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 07:22 PM
=]

Bike: 2007 Candy Red R6
Send a message via AIM to derffred
Re: Experience my first crash at the track

Damn, glad you're okay! Bike isn't too bad, rollovers normally end a lot worse

Looks like were off the line a bit, better turn in point and I think you would've been okay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades List
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<- Add me

RIP BallistiK
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 R6

Bike doesn't look to bad.. Honestly it seems like you were heading out.. Maybe target fixation? It seems like a weird fall

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Bummer dude! I thought that may have been you. I saw your bike across the pits and wanted to get over there and say hi eventually, then I came in from a session and saw the bike all packed up.

The oil spill was in turn 1. You could see the big white line of whatever they use to soak it up running from the apex to the outside of the track.

Also, don't be so quick to hate on Big Willow on a 600. When you get to know your way around and get going flat out from the exit of 5 all the way to 8 (or if you're real good, all the way to 9) it gets to be A LOT of fun. Hurling the bike over the crest at the blind apex on 6 and having it shake it's head and wiggle around coming down the hill is some fantastic adrenalin-pumping fun.

Get her fixed up and get back out on the tarmac ASAP!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by derffred View Post

Looks like were off the line a bit, better turn in point and I think you would've been okay.
This is sort of correct.

Just watched the video. The problem was you stayed inside all around 4. T4 is really two turns 4a, and 4b, and you need to drive to the outside in between them, and then cut it back in for the 2nd apex to get you pointed down the hill.

If you stay inside the whole way, you end up pointed towards the outside of the track and you're going to have to slow waaaaaaaaaaay down to get turned down the hill.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 PM
DOC_G on R1-*****

Bike: 2007 YZF-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Bummer dude! I thought that may have been you. I saw your bike across the pits and wanted to get over there and say hi eventually, then I came in from a session and saw the bike all packed up.

The oil spill was in turn 1. You could see the big white line of whatever they use to soak it up running from the apex to the outside of the track.

Also, don't be so quick to hate on Big Willow on a 600. When you get to know your way around and get going flat out from the exit of 5 all the way to 8 (or if you're real good, all the way to 9) it gets to be A LOT of fun. Hurling the bike over the crest at the blind apex on 6 and having it shake it's head and wiggle around coming down the hill is some fantastic adrenalin-pumping fun.

I love the big track because it is fast.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Track Whore

Bike: 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6 Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by derffred View Post

Thanks! Yeah, the damage on the bike is minimum. Just few scrapes here and there. Estimate cost is probably worth $300-400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
Bike doesn't look to bad.. Honestly it seems like you were heading out.. Maybe target fixation? It seems like a weird fall
I doubt it's a target fixation. Like derffred said, I was off the line a bit and didn't turn quickly onto the second apex. Had no choice to went straight.

Quote:

Quote:
This is sort of correct.

Just watched the video. The problem was you stayed inside all around 4. T4 is really two turns 4a, and 4b, and you need to drive to the outside in between them, and then cut it back in for the 2nd apex to get you pointed down the hill.

If you stay inside the whole way, you end up pointed towards the outside of the track and you're going to have to slow waaaaaaaaaaay down to get turned down the hill.
I was searching for you because I arrived there at 5:30-5:40am, but I didn't know where you were.

Appreciate your advice Scott. I'm willingly to give Big Willow another chance. Seems like that T4/T5 is the part I struggle a bit with my line. I won't be do another track event till Winter or Spring, but I want to experience Chuckwalla soon. I'll hit you with a PM if I'm planning a track event.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:29 PM
click, click, vroom!

Bike: 2003 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa
+1

this looks like target fixation, where you thought you were going to run wide and looked at where you figured you'd run off ... and then went there. i'm glad you're okay, and the bike came out way better than i'd have guessed after watching the vid.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NguyenJR6 View Post
I was searching for you because I arrived there at 5:30-5:40am, but I didn't know where you were.
Yeah, the vendor area was all blocked off. There was one truck posted up in there, but I have no idea how they got in. I was setup way down towards the Turn 9 end of the pits. I'll catch ya at the next one though!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 AM
I named my dog Rossi.

Bike: 05 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by klone View Post
+1

this looks like target fixation
The reason everyone is saying target fixation is you had the bike leaned over and then coming out of the turn you picked it up, but realized you were off-line and started to target fixate. When you realized "oh shit" you tried to lean the bike over again, but ran out of room and hit the dirt. No problem, get at it next time. Sweet Dainese btw, I wish I could afford that one.

edit - .. and you can see you panicked and grabbed your brake right at the end.

Last edited by GoTime; 07-25-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in