Keeping a constant line.. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Question Keeping a constant line..

Guys i'm having trouble keeping my line while taking a long corner. for some reason i always tend to "over-steer".

I'm not sure if its my Body Positioning, throttle control or maybe i'm griping the bars too tight. Anyone got advice on how to keep my line constant throughout the turn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 PM
It'll make Ya' blind!

Bike: 98 YZ125--00 YZ250--05 R6
Re: Keeping a constant line..

Draw a line with chalk on the road
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Its probably your positioning / Grip and throttle control. Work on Rolling the throttle out of the turn, that way your gradually getting faster. Relax with the death grip and acutely ride, instead of hanging on for dear life!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous_R6 View Post
Guys i'm having trouble keeping my line while taking a long corner. for some reason i always tend to "over-steer".

I'm not sure if its my Body Positioning, throttle control or maybe i'm griping the bars too tight. Anyone got advice on how to keep my line constant throughout the turn?
You're probably holding the bars too tight. The bumps in the road move the forks up and down. They change length, and that requires the bars to wiggle and move. When you hold then too tightly, you send the bike off course. Loosen your grip and see if it helps any. You should be holding the bars as gently as possible. Like holding a baby's hand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330

Look through the turn more

Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs32 View Post
Look through the turn more
+1

Or you're just off the gas the whole time too Victor. When you are off the gas, the bike turns harder. So you turn in, leaning the bike, and you let off the gas, the bike will begin to turn in more than expected. MAybe that's what's going on?

You say oversteer. So you turn into the inside of the turn too much? I read you weren't getting a constant line, like it was a shaky line or something. Not steady and stable?

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

I think "over-steer" wasen't a good example.

Its actually a combination of both things you mentioned. The bike falls into the inside of the curve rather than keep a constant line throughout it. Since this happens i find myself having to pick the bike up/lean again a few times throughout it which makes my line look horrible and shaky/unstable.

I think you may be right regarding the throttle. I don't know why im scared to stay on the throttle. i find myself getting on and off quite often. i'm also sure i should be hanging off alot more.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 PM
formerly usmc08r6

Bike: 08 r6

the other issue may be that you are entering the turn too soon. if you do this you will be riding the edge of your lane, whether inside or out, alot sooner than expected. to fix that i would practice on a turn that you are VERY familiar and pick a later entry point. once you've picked that entry point you want to look ALL THE WAY THROUGH the turn about 15-20 feet before you actually get to the entry point you've chosen. that should help if i understand that you are having a multiple lean point turns

this image should help you understand

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 cadmium yellow/black flame
full m4
pcIII usb
bmc race filter
driven -1/+2 520 ek chain
speedohealer
hotbodies undertail

Last edited by StealthChain; 08-02-2011 at 09:54 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Yes exactly, my line looks like the red one but abit worse lol.

I want it to look like the green one but i'm having trouble getting a line like that.

Last edited by Infamous_R6; 08-02-2011 at 10:11 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Bike: 2007 R6, 2009 DRZ400SM
Send a message via AIM to JTolles

OP- you need a track day.

Sig by Joe

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 PM
formerly usmc08r6

Bike: 08 r6

like i said just pick a turn you are comfortable with that you go through on a normal basis then pick a later entry than you usually do. it may feel awkward going in so late but when you "flop" over into the turn you will realize you have more room to lean in and it will get you all the way through the turn

08 cadmium yellow/black flame
full m4
pcIII usb
bmc race filter
driven -1/+2 520 ek chain
speedohealer
hotbodies undertail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in