2nd Trackday Lowside @ Fontana Video and advice ? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

2nd Trackday Lowside @ Fontana Video and advice ?

Hey guys, not sure if anyone else was out at Fontana this past sunday. I was the guy that went down in the first session in Level 1 = (

It was my second trackday, I was feeling pretty comfortable. Bike was setup very similar to the last time I was there. I went to Catalyst Suspension 3 weeks before to have my bike setup for my weight. Which was the only change to the bike. As far as my riding, the only thing I was trying to work on my first session out was to bring my head down toward my mirrors.

I bought photos from my first trackday and my instructor noted that i was getting off the bike correctly and getting my knee out good, but I wasn't dropping my head low enough and off the bike.

So the first session about 5 laps in after passing a couple other Level 1 riders I lowsided into turn #13. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong or right ?

I'm leaning toward the fact that I was way too far leaned over for the amount of throttle input I was giving the bike ? It was 105 degrees that day with track temps being around 140 degrees. I'm on Michelin Power Ones.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for the input !

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:18 AM
I <3 Orange Chicken

Bike: 2010 YZF-R6 - Blue
Am sorry to hear about your accident... Are u ok? Hope its not too bad...

I'm no expert, but from the video it looks as tho your rear tire lost traction going into the turn.

Hmmm... Were your tires warm & did u notice any gravel at the apex of the turn? Did you happen to step on the rear brake at all in the slightest? Any of those will kick out your rear in a fast turn like that I think...

Your lines looked fine to me. I did also notice that you chopped the throttle just a little bit going into that left turn (8krpm 50+mph).

From what I've heard, u never want to chop the throttle entering or going thru the apex of the turn. And, i think what you want to do is smoothly & quickly transition from "maintenance throttle" to "exiting throttle"- meaning that you want to apply & hold enough throttle to maintain the stability & control of the turn and transition into quickly applying "as much throttle as possible" to quickly & smoothly exit the turn & stand the bike up...

The basic idea is that the more throttle exiting the turn the more the bike will stand itself upright. But it has to be done smoothly along with the right amount of lean and speed.

I've never done track yet, but I've gone to a few riding seminars and that's what they taught us and had us practice.

It looks like you're doing ok and just need more practice. The track looks like fun & really addicting.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

2010 Yamaha YZF-R6 - Blue [4.09.2011] - GYTR CF Heel Trim, ProGrip CF Tank Pad, Shogun NC Crash Kit, Yamaha White Seat Cowl, GPR v4 Steering Damper
2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 - Blue [3.30.2013] - GYTR CF Heel Trim, ProGrip CF Tank Pad, Shogun NC Crash Kit, Yamaha White Seat Cowl
2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Blue [1.23.2010 - 3.10.2012 Sold]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 06:21 AM
Track Only!

Bike: R6 Track Beast
Re: 2nd Trackday Lowside @ Fontana Video and advice ?

I agree that it looks like your rear stepped out. So that eliminates a front brake lowside. What pressures were you running?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 R6 #91 -

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. ” -Mario Andretti

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 06:27 AM
track is legal heroin

Bike: 03 R6

well first off it was definatly a front tire slide out. your line was good, the chopped throttle was fine, not recomended but definatly not what caused your wreck. from the video id say cold tires, but with the track temps you put up id def say the exact opposite. your tires were way to hot, so my bet is being the fact they were power ones they started to get greasy. they are a street tire and while i have not run a power one i have run quite a few different types of tires. in fact when i jumped to race spec michelins it was the exact conditions you were mentioning. it was about 105 out, ridiculous track temp, and i was on pirreli diablo slicks, and sliding around like crazy (the diablo slicks are basically a street compound with no tread cut into them) without seeing your body positioning it would be hard to tell if you unloaded the front or anything like that. but your tires would be my guess, that mixed with a little dust on the track and possibly wrong tire pressures or since it was so hot not dropping your tire pressure enough to acount for hot tire pressure= front end failure imo

Last edited by motoguy; 08-30-2011 at 06:30 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

what pressures were you running? i'm betting your rear was about 8 pounds high for those temps.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 06:40 AM
Derp

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg2001 View Post
what pressures were you running? i'm betting your rear was about 8 pounds high for those temps.
Yep, P1's were ran at 26 front and rear this summer, it was about 95 degrees out. I'm leaning on too high of pressure as well.

STT SOUTHERN DIVISION STAFF

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM
track whore

Bike: 07 r6

I'm glad your ok, I was there I saw you go down, i think your tires werent hot enought, for what i saw i think you got on the gas a little to fast on that turn. you were riding a white R6 right?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Yea, I was riding the white r6.

I asked the michlelin tire vendor that morning what he recommended to run as far as tire pressures and if I remember correctly he said 31 front 28 rear. (I don't remember if I have the front and rear pressures correctly right now, but I know I had them correct @ the track. Changed them the minute he told me)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Derp

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevin View Post
Yea, I was riding the white r6.

I asked the michlelin tire vendor that morning what he recommended to run as far as tire pressures and if I remember correctly he said 31 front 28 rear. (I don't remember if I have the front and rear pressures correctly right now, but I know I had them correct @ the track. Changed them the minute he told me)
That's high for a 105 air temp. IMO. Just based on seeing what other guys do with their P1's. Was the pressures he gave you hot or cold?

STT SOUTHERN DIVISION STAFF

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it was the cold psi he gave me, he told the same thing to someone else just ahead of me with the same tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in