How do you know when your ready? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 03 Yamaha R6
How do you know when your ready?

So I've only been riding for a couple of months but the main reason i started is because I've always wanted to track.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(I do have a couple years of dirt experience so I'm not only months new to bikes in general)

How do I know when I'm ready to try my hand in a track without getting in the way?

How can i practice things to get good enough to actually try my hand at a track if I'm not ready now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI
Re: How do you know when your ready?

My first track day (and yours, imo) should be really just to have fun and get used to the track scene. You don't need to worry about dragging knee or anything, just enjoy your time there. As for experience, I had zero experience with twisty roads before I went to my first track day. I was only a commuter and on my first track day, I was fine. As long as you're a responsible rider, you should be good. I think some people would say at least 6 months street experience or so.

Just my $.02.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

thanks i dont plan on dropping my knee for a little bit i just didnt want to get into other peoples ways if im trying to get comfortable still

i still got to buy my one piece and some track plastics because i dont want to mess up the ones i just freshly painted on my bike haha

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zable View Post
thanks i dont plan on dropping my knee for a little bit i just didnt want to get into other peoples ways if im trying to get comfortable still

i still got to buy my one piece and some track plastics because i dont want to mess up the ones i just freshly painted on my bike haha
Hahah yeah, just be careful out there. See if you can rent or borrow a suit for your first time. Even though I highly doubt it, you might not like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 AM
n00b

Bike: 2007 R6 Charcoal

I did my first track just over a month after I bought my bike. The sooner the better. You learn more about yourself and your bike in one day at the track than you do months on the street.

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

i wont get in the way of others or anything though?
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 AM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zable View Post
i wont get in the way of others or anything though?
Never worry about that at the track. The riders behind you are responsible for making safe passes and avoiding you. The Beginner group is made for just people that are BEGINNERS!!! You will be surrounded with people of equal skill lever and experience. I had about 1000 miles on the street before I went to the track. You have nothing to worry about. As long as you know the basics of riding you are fine. I have been riding less than 9 months and have learned so much from going to the track.

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Sticky-side-down.

Best practice is to follow the organizers on the track and get them to critique your riding. You will learn a ton just by osmosis from being around all the riders and watching what others are doing.
Worried about getting in the way? Bah! Just keep a tight line and let everyone else take you on the outside.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Joe View Post
Never worry about that at the track. The riders behind you are responsible for making safe passes and avoiding you. The Beginner group is made for just people that are BEGINNERS!!! You will be surrounded with people of equal skill lever and experience. I had about 1000 miles on the street before I went to the track. You have nothing to worry about. As long as you know the basics of riding you are fine. I have been riding less than 9 months and have learned so much from going to the track.
This, plus let an instructor know it's your first time and he should be able to work with you first.

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:34 AM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
This, plus let an instructor know it's your first time and he should be able to work with you first.
x2

The first few sessions you will be going super slow anyways. All the organizations around here make the beginner group ride uber slow the first couple sessions just so they learn the race line. You will be bored and hate it to tell you the truth. But as you begin to pick up speed you will thank the coaches for doing it because it will all make sense. By the end of the first day you will begin to get in your groove and really enjoy the track.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in