New tires Cornering and speed - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
I wanna go fast

Bike: 05 YZF R6
Question New tires Cornering and speed

This is more a question for the experienced guys out there. When breaking in a new set of street tires I noticed they didnt want to hug as tight on a 45 degree angle (intersection) as they do on a normal curve, and even experience some fork wobble if I hit the corner hard enough. So the question is is there any special technique for prepping new street tires for use (scrubbed them already kinda wondering if I should do a light sand to remove some factory finish right at the outside edge to make them stick better) or should I just leave the low cornering for more gradual bends at higher speeds?
BTW tires are warmed up well before trying the 45's and road is flat, warm, dry and clear of gravel. Rear tire still has under 100 miles on it front only about 200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:11 AM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330
Re: New tires Cornering and speed

What kind of tire?

Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
I wanna go fast

Dunlop Q2 in the front Bridgestone battleaxe in the rear both a little new for anything to wild, but dont want to sell them short on a good break in either.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Derp

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6stealth View Post
Dunlop Q2 in the front Bridgestone battleaxe in the rear both a little new for anything to wild, but dont want to sell them short on a good break in either.
Tires are already broke in, it could be anything from body positioning to tire pressure to suspension to throttle control.

Tires break-in at about 10 miles now. IF THAT. They stopped putting the chemicals on them about 2-3 years ago that required the longer break in period.

STT SOUTHERN DIVISION STAFF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Bluer Than You!

Bike: 09 R6R Street,09 R6R Race
Send a message via AIM to SIKBLU
You shouldn't mis-match front and rear. Just saying. Tires are made to work together. But as said, it could be body position, tire pressure, suspension, or throttle contol

Oh and take some of that to the track. I see to many get offs from someone trying to be Rossi on the backroads
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

2009 Yamaha Blue R6 - Race Bike

Last edited by SIKBLU; 09-27-2011 at 07:17 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
BTW tires are warmed up well before trying the 45's and road is flat, warm, dry and clear of gravel. Rear tire still has under 100 miles on it front only about 200.
What's your gauge for having the tires properly warmed up and what tire pressures are you running? Are they tacky to the touch and is the rubber balling up and peeling off at the treads? If not, they're not all the way warmed up. If you're not running the right tire pressures, they're never going to warm up all the way.

You've got to be working pretty damn hard to get a tire properly warmed up, and it's REALLY hard to actually ride hard enough out on the streets to get the proper amount of heat into a tire.

I'm mostly just making a long-winded point that if you're not aware of all this stuff, listen to SIKBlU's advice and get a few track days under your belt where you'll learn about all this stuff and learn how to listen to what your bike is telling you and what you need to do to fix it, before you end up binning it up on the street.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:00 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 09 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallis View Post
what's your gauge for having the tires properly warmed up and what tire pressures are you running? Are they tacky to the touch and is the rubber balling up and peeling off at the treads? If not, they're not all the way warmed up. If you're not running the right tire pressures, they're never going to warm up all the way.

You've got to be working pretty damn hard to get a tire properly warmed up, and it's really hard to actually ride hard enough out on the streets to get the proper amount of heat into a tire.

I'm mostly just making a long-winded point that if you're not aware of all this stuff, listen to sikblu's advice and get a few track days under your belt where you'll learn about all this stuff and learn how to listen to what your bike is telling you and what you need to do to fix it, before you end up binning it up on the street.

qft

R.I.P. Mulciber 4/29/11
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
I wanna go fast

I dont live where there is a track available (Hawaii) as to earlier comments I guage the warm up time by a fast ride down the highway (about 20 miles before any twists and turns, and tire is warm and tacky to the touch) could use a few pointers on weight distribution and anything dealing with lean angles I have ridden and built choppers here just kinda new to the sport bike scene (not new to motorcycles just new tires) track days being impossible at the moment any constructive advice?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Bluer Than You!

Bike: 09 R6R Street,09 R6R Race
Send a message via AIM to SIKBLU
Quote:
I dont live where there is a track available (Hawaii) as to earlier comments I guage the warm up time by a fast ride down the highway (about 20 miles before any twists and turns, and tire is warm and tacky to the touch) could use a few pointers on weight distribution and anything dealing with lean angles I have ridden and built choppers here just kinda new to the sport bike scene (not new to motorcycles just new tires) track days being impossible at the moment any constructive advice?
Wear your gear. Helmet, gloves, padded jacket, and motorcycle boots. There are a couple books you can read. "Twist of The Wrist" and "Twist of The Wrist II"

2009 Yamaha Blue R6 - Race Bike

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Support your body with your legs and core. You shouldn't have any weight on your hands / wrists. You want to be able to let of the clip-ons at any point, and the rest of your body shouldn't care.

Carrying greater corner speed (and more lean angle) is going to come from being smooth and keep your vision up as far ahead as possible. Twist of the Wrist should be good for teaching you about that stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in