How Was Your Track Season? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Track Only!

Bike: R6 Track Beast
How Was Your Track Season?

I saw this on another board and thought it was a good topic. I know that many guys are still riding and haven't completed their season yet. I, myself, still have 2 more trackdays to do and I'm seriously comtemplating trying to also make it down to Jennings. But so far, how has your season gone? What were your highs / lows?

For me, I have just about completed my first full season of Track Only. I purchased my trackbike right after my last season of street riding in November and after I sold my street bike and then I worked on getting it set up for this year. My low was the first trackday out on the new bike and 2nd to last session. I had gotten a feel for it and kept pushing harder and harder till I made a mistake and came into a corner too hot for comfort and stayed on the brakes too long and lost the front. That was a mistake I learned from and won't do again!

My high was going to a new track (Road Atlanta) for the first time and by myself and learning the lines around it. Man, that's one crazy fast track with a loooooong back straight!

Due to my 5 year anniversary with the wifey, I wasn't able to do as many TD's as I wanted. These next 2 will make it a total of 8. But after my first full season of riding, I've progressed from a B-grouper (or group 1 in other orgs) to Intermediate and running a slow advanced pace at Barber. But what can I say, it's my home track! I've learned a ton this year and I'm already making plans for next year to be even MORE EPIC! I think the hardest and costliest part of trackday riding is acquiring everything to get started. Now that I've got most of the necessities, I can focus on seat and track time. Next year, I want to hopefully make it to Advanced. Not just at Barber, but applying what I learn at different tracks around the SE Region and hopefully get up North to NJMP and run with you Yankees!

So what about you? How was your track season?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 R6 #91 -

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. ” -Mario Andretti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI
Re: How Was Your Track Season?

So far I've had a GREAT season. Beginning of the year, I switched from an 07 GSXR 600 to an 08 R6 and it was amazing. I went from level 1 to somewhat almost top of level 2. Hoping to keep improving and start off at level 3 next season
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Crew for Life

Bike: 2007 HighSided R6

Started great, ended bad.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Next season will be better.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 11:42 AM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

Started out riding street, but bought a track bike and totally changed directions.. Going track only now, and I did 7 days this season before school forced me to stop (
).. Low point: I crashed twice in 7 track days

High point: I've definitely become more confident and capable. I know what I need to work on and I know how to get better... I just need.... More.... track time. Started out at glacier pace, ended mid-pack of Intermediate.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Derp

Bike: 2007 R6

This was my first track season, did my very first track day in March of this year. I had been a mountain carver for a year or so, and I figured I could use the track time. Turns out...I fell in love with it and gave up on the mountains.

First track day ever.

So began my addiction...I then attended a few more after that, went back to Tally 3 times, Road Atlanta twice and Barber once. All of my finances now revolve around tires, bike maintenance, and track days.

My low point would have to be crashing a brand new R1 at Road Atlanta (Demo bike) I honestly have no clue what happened. Bars twisted when I counter steered then I was sliding through turn three.

My high point would have to be my progression and all of the stuff I have learned and looking forward to learning more. I think that's why I really love doing what we do, it's a never ending learning experience!

Most recent track day at Barber.

I think next season I am looking forward to GETTING MY ****ING HEAD DOWN more! I just got to do it, I am very inconsistent when it comes to doing it. That's my main goal next track season. Although, I'm not 100% sure I am done yet. I want to do Jennings in December if possible. Hopefully it'll all work out and I can go down to Florida and ride a new track.

So yeah, a very good first season and crash free, sorta
Can't ask for much better!

STT SOUTHERN DIVISION STAFF

post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 11:51 AM
My R6 eats you.

Bike: 2010 Yamaha M1

First season of racing for me. Had a blast and hit the times I set for myself in the beginning of the year. Finished 7th out of 52 overall in Middleweight GP, hope to do better next year.

Also had my first on track highside, walked away with minimal damage so, all in all it wasn't too bad. Can't wit till next year.

NESBA A | CCS #686
///If you ride like lightning, you’re gonna crash like thunder.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 12:00 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramm View Post
This was my first track season, did my very first track day in March of this year. I had been a mountain carver for a year or so, and I figured I could use the track time. Turns out...I fell in love with it and gave up on the mountains.

First track day ever.

So began my addiction...I then attended a few more after that, went back to Tally 3 times, Road Atlanta twice and Barber once. All of my finances now revolve around tires, bike maintenance, and track days.

My low point would have to be crashing a brand new R1 at Road Atlanta (Demo bike)
I honestly have no clue what happened. Bars twisted when I counter steered then I was sliding through turn three.

My high point would have to be my progression and all of the stuff I have learned and looking forward to learning more. I think that's why I really love doing what we do, it's a never ending learning experience!

Most recent track day at Barber.

I think next season I am looking forward to GETTING MY ****ING HEAD DOWN more! I just got to do it, I am very inconsistent when it comes to doing it. That's my main goal next track season. Although, I'm not 100% sure I am done yet. I want to do Jennings in December if possible. Hopefully it'll all work out and I can go down to Florida and ride a new track.

So yeah, a very good first season and crash free, sorta
Can't ask for much better!
What did they do? I know at the Ducati demo days at the local track, you sign a big waiver before you ride that basically says "you break it, you pay to fix it/bought it".

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Hard Parked

Bike: 05 R6
Send a message via AIM to Cj 98

Crashed the bike last year in October at Mid America and finally got it fixed in June and then July went down again and got it fixed but started having electrical issues. Went back to school and haven't had the time to fix it since. Taking it into a shop tomorrow to get fixed since I do not have the time. Looking forward to getting back on it though I have been a bit timid since crashing.

Last edited by Cj 98; 10-14-2011 at 12:52 PM.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 01:00 PM
www.1seven1.com

Mine was fantastic! Was quicker and more consistent. Had one get-off that slowed me down a lot the next race weekend, but got back on pace. Funny how that can get into your head. My physical conditioning (or lack there of) was about my biggest hinderance to going quicker. I found out I'm getting some serious side effects from a drug I'm on, which hasn't helped. Next year will be even better.

Overall, I ended up with a second, a third and two fifth places in expert classed on the season. Not bad for an old guy.

Got a cool photo in my new custom leathers the last round, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	340954_10150301284108370_764468369_8088795_870833160_o.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	68565  

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 01:17 PM
:sheep

my season was nonexistant (never been).. hopeful to get out on the track in about two years..

i'd like to have a track bike and a street bike but i need to put my college degree to use and make monaaay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in