Getting Off Your Hands - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2006 R6
Question Getting Off Your Hands

Hey everyone,

I traded in my 250 yesterday and kind of getting use to the new riding position. I can tell I'm putting a lot of weight on the bars when I'm in traffic or stopped at a light/coming to a stop, really any maneuver below 15 mph. I never had any problem with this on my old 250 and its causing a little bit of pain in my wrists after riding for a while in traffic or lots of red lights, however, no problem when I'm cruising. Any advice on techniques to get off your hands at slow speeds would be greatly appreciated, also if there is no way to avoid this, is this problematic with the bikes handling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 Charcoal R6
Re: Getting Off Your Hands

You need to use your knees to hold onto the tank and support yourself with your legs and torso. Some stomp grip pads can help prevent your legs from sliding on the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahson View Post
You need to use your knees to hold onto the tank and support yourself with your legs and torso. Some stomp grip pads can help prevent your legs from sliding on the tank.
This, grip the tank to relieve pressure off your arms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Dirt track racing!

Bike: 2008 YZF R6 LE

I will have to remember this, useful info.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM

Something I will never forget from Twist of the Wrist - chicken wings!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Occasionally "flap" your elbows and it will take the weight off your wrist. Doing this for a while helped me always remember to keep the weight off the bars.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Awesome bout to try it out on my way to work! Can already tell I'm gonna like this forum. I see lots of pretty cool people with good advice.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Update: Tried grippiping with my legs and knees, definately helped a thousand times over. The "chicken wing" worked great too, really helped to just make sure there was no weight what so ever on my arms. I know pretty soon I will be doing that automatically, haha, never seen Twist Of The Wrist, you are referring to the DVD's correct? If so is it a good watch worth the investment? My riding position isn't horrible but not that great? I feel if I made my body position any more aggressive it would be unsafe and taking turns on the street too fast/hard. However, dont feel like my position is good enough for the track, yet to do my first track day.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 AM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI

Twist of the Wrist is a book too so if you prefer reading over watching, you can pick up the book online for cheap. I got mine off Amazon

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

The real cure is to rest your chest on the gas tank and ride the bike like it's made to be ridden.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
Twist of the Wrist is a book too so if you prefer reading over watching, you can pick up the book online for cheap. I got mine off Amazon

I was referring to the book. I think I actually have Twist of the Wrist 2. Worth a read.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in