Track Bike Purchasing Tips? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
MITICO

Bike: 07 R6 & 08 RSV-R Factory
Track Bike Purchasing Tips?

Officially in the market for a track only bike and am going to check out an '01 R6 later on next week. Anything particular you guys think I should be keeping an eye out for, work that should have been specifically done? I'm prepared (and expecting) that the bike has been down, but any damage that can be casually repaired? Just want to make sure I don't spend more keeping it running than I do buying it. Thanks one & all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:23 PM
I eat my R6

Re: Track Bike Purchasing Tips?

Depending on your buget I would buy something newer with fuel injection 04 on up. Much easier and less to work on and more time riding!!.Look on cycle trader lots of good deals now is a great time purchase.Example I just picked 08 with a clean title for short $$ that I'm converting to a track/ race bike.Good Luck hope this helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 07 gsxr 600, 06 r6, 3 f2s

I ditto the carb bike comment above. I own 3 cbr 600's and they do eat up time cleaning out the carbs, replacing parts ect, but i will say that it helped me learn my bike by having to take parts on and off frequently. If your that type of guy you may enjoy it. here are my tips:

If you have no budget: 5000+ ish

Go for something newer like 05+ r6 fully prepped. I would get the bells and whistles, ttx, bodywork, cartridge kit ect. just because you can.

If you have a moderate budget: 3000-5k

I would buy someones used 04-07 gsxr or r6 depending on title or not, and buy rearsets, and a bodykit (pending the old fairings arent already rashed, if they are save your money and use the stock bodywork until it explodes. I would also invest in a decent set of tires, like pures, powers corsa ect.

If your budget it limited:

Buy a carb bike, something that has millions of cheap parts lying on fleabay or wera. When you go down, you wont be out a season trying to find a new frame or forks. My cbr's in all cost about 3k for all of them and i have a 10X10 room filled with extras enough to almost build another 2 bikes if i had the wiring. I also built them from ground up so that saved me some serious money. I will add though, after 2 seasons the carbed f2's it didnt make me competitive enough to fully enjoy myself and also put me at risk of injury because i was pushing the bike way beyond its stock abilites (trailbreaking) I also was pegging the speedo with 500m left in the front straight as people with FI bikes walked past me. So i bought a 07 gsxr 600 no title for 3k.

Once you move up in skill be prepared for your budget to have to increase, with aftermarket suspension ranging from 500 used to - sometime 2k. tires from 300-600 ect.

I would advise you to buy a non titled bike (unless you want to race) as long as it does have a vin, because you can get great deals. When im looking for a bike, dealbreakers are uneven wheel alignment significant to be caused by fork frame or swingarm damage, and a blown engine. Unless the price was really good, i wouldnt touch them. So bring your string along and measure that girl up, have fun and i hope this helps
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 50thkarl; 12-21-2011 at 06:51 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
With the 01, u wanna ride it and get it wide open in 2nd all the way to redline to make sure it doesn't pop out of gear or slip. That's the big deal.

The steering stem head on the frame is weak. So are the forks. I've seen 3-4 inches sawed off the front tip of the belly pan to let the tire spin freely an the bike was rideable. In 2 cases like that, the stem was determined To be bent after the forks were replaced and one rider rode into the woods off the road!

I'm a firm believer in knowin where a bike has been. I'm gonna have a tough time when it comes time to get another bike.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And with the carbs once u tune em right and run the bike often it's no headache. At least not for me in the 8500 miles and handful of track days I've run my 02 thru.

The 1st gen is a sweet bike. I have a used $800 suspension setup on mine, basic bolt ons and it's fast. Within a few seconds of my much newer bike with way more work into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-

Last edited by ChiefSmokeDawg; 12-21-2011 at 07:11 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:42 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

if you are at least at all used to the newer generations of machines you will likely never be happy with an older machine. It's not that there is anything wrong with them, but when it comes to maintenance and parts replacement, it becomes a task. There are other things that make a newer machine more valuable for it's intended purpose. The technology for one, makes the bike easier to ride, or at least tune. The parts on the the newer machines are of better design and quality. The power of the newer machines makes them have added value as well, if all other things are equal.

The newer machines are simply easier to get results with and still have fun. The information pool is higher too. There is not a whole lot of shared information on the older machines anymore. The people that used to ride them and were able to take advantage of the technology at that time have either moved on, or are not into the same forums they used to. Not to mention you level of mechanics skill? If your not a mechanic, the newer machines are the only way to go.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 AM
Odwit

Bike: 2007 R1, 2008 R6

go check out the NESBA or WERA classifieds, there's always tons of track ready bikes for sale on there at good prices, and they're usually packed with lots of goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in