What greaing are you running at the track? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
I hate you Turn 4!

Bike: 09 Orca
What greaing are you running at the track?

So I figured I'd ask as I am now looking at changing mine for the track. As of right now I'm on a completely stock setup. I know the -1/+2 is always a favorite but wanted to see what some of the track junkies have. Be it: Stock, -1/0, -1/+1, -1/+2 Ect......

So what do you run and why?

Last edited by aaronk277; 10-24-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: title: Yes I know I spelled gearing incorreclty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: What greaing are you running at the track?

It's going to depend on the track. Ideally I think you'd want gearing so that you're just hitting redline in your top gear at the end of the longest straight... which is also going to depend on how fast you are in the turns leading up to said straight.

I'm still kind of a track n00b though, so maybe some more experienced people will be able to chime in with more concrete advice. For what it's worth, my mechanic (an extremely experienced road racer) recommended I go -1/+2 when I told him I was going to start hitting the track.

Last edited by Fallis; 10-24-2011 at 12:23 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
I hate you Turn 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
It's going to depend on the track. Ideally I think you'd want gearing so that you're just hitting redline in your top gear at the end of the longest straight... which is also going to depend on how fast you are in the turns leading up to said straight.

I'm still kind of a track n00b though, so maybe some more experienced people will be able to chime in with more concrete advice. For what it's worth, my mechanic (an extremely experienced road racer) recommended I go -1/+2 when I told him I was going to start hitting the track.
Yeah I know that the type of track is going to make a difference on what gearing I should go with. As of the two that I run they are both completely different. One is a very fast course with more sweeping turns and one is a bit more on the technical side. So I'm looking for a good middle ground because I cann't afford to change it every month for the different tracks.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
I hate you Turn 4!

bump for some more info
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot

Bike: 2006 R6

I am -1/0, but I would probably go -1/+2 if I wasn't still riding it on the street, the tracks I go to don't have very long straights but with -1/0 i can't quite redline in 5th. The one doesn't really have a real slow area either so I pretty much just use 3rd, 4th and 5th.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 R6, 2001 FZ1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 PM
www.1seven1.com

I run 16/45 or 16/46 in a Renthal 520 setup for Miller depending on the track configuration. I didn't think much of the 15/47 for track use.

As a test, last year I spent a weekend dropping rear sprockets a tooth a session to trick me into increasing corner speed. It was kind of fun.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradd View Post
I am -1/0, but I would probably go -1/+2 if I wasn't still riding it on the street, the tracks I go to don't have very long straights but with -1/0 i can't quite redline in 5th. The one doesn't really have a real slow area either so I pretty much just use 3rd, 4th and 5th.
this... my "double duty" bike was -1/+2 and was NICE. then i bought this track-only 07 and it's only -1/0. and VERY noticable on corner exit. like i need to be down a whole gear.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 03:20 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 yzfr6
I went -1 +3, bike tops out at about 148, wich is way plenty, and the amount of accel in the bottom end made a huge difference. my old r6 was -1 +2 and I liked it so went one more and I think its great

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
I hate you Turn 4!

Well I went with a -1 front and grabbed a +2 and 0 for the rear. I'm going to try them both out at each track and see what pro's and con's I get. The one track the -1/0 might be better as there are only two slow turns and the rest are long sweepers that you can really carry some speed through. T1 alone I enter the turn at around 75-85(depends on traffic and conditions) and just tap the front brakes to settle the front end and then on the gas, as a said a fast turn track (2 mile course and best lap is 1:07s) . The -1/+2 we’ll see how it goes and it might work better for the other tracks. Also the track selection looks like its going to grow a little too 4-5 tracks instead of the 2 so this will give me some more options. Thanks for the advice guys
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:21 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post

peak hp is not at redline. you want setup your gearing so that for the longest straightway you begin braking just after you pass your peak hp mark. requires you get dyno'd to see your own bike's numbers.

i have -1/0 up front and 0/+1/+2/+3 gearing in back.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in