Pain in the knees - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Pain in the knees

Hey, guys.

I did my first two track days this year, both at Putnam. The first was in June and the last was in September. I have ridden on the street for several years and finally was able to start with the track days.

I did all the drills and tried to soak up all the coaching, and I ejoyed every minute of it, but both times, I came away with extremely sore knees when working on my body positioning, pointing my foot and knee, moving my butt off the seat, and sticking the knee out. I'm not dragging my knees or anything, I think it's just the force of actually weighting the footpeg so much (or maybe trying to hard) when riding on the track. My right knee tends to be considerably worse than my left, which I attribute to the track having quite a bit more right turns.

My question is, can anyone tell me what could be causing this, and how to alleviate it?

For a little background info, I use my street bike, which is a 2009 Yamaha R6, entirely stock. It does not give me sore knees on the street. I work out about 3 times/ week. I'm not in perfect shape, but I'm not necessarily out of shape either if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I'll receive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: Pain in the knees

Post an on track pic of you riding.

My knees are shit, I'm old as dirt now, and my knees feel fine on the track. Probably one of the few parts of me that doesn't ache after a TD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:49 PM
The Decal Guy

Bike: 2006 R6 White Raven

I'm just taking a wild guess, but would getting adjustable rearsets help at all?

-NJG Designs- PM me for custom vinyl decal orders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJokester3 View Post

^ People love me...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Derp

Bike: 2007 R6

You may be too tense...relax a little. My first trackday I was SOOO sore afterwards. As the season went on the more I relaxed the less sore I was after trackdays.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STT SOUTHERN DIVISION STAFF

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 06:24 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2007 YZF-R6
I agree with relaxing, when I first started riding dirt bikes I got arm pump so bad and my buddy told me to loosen my grip and relax and that helped out a bunch so relaxing might do the same for your knees, and how is Putnam I've been wanting to do a track day there cause it's only a few hours away
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I don't have any pics of me riding on the track, but I'm sure it's safe to say that my form/body position needs help in all areas lol.

I was curious about adjustable rearsets, too, as I've never had the chance to ride a bike with them or anything. Maybe someone who has good experience with them will give some advice.

Relaxing is probably something I still need a lot of work on as well. You know how your first track day goes; you're excited, scared, nervous, and ecstatic all at the same time. I was probably feeling roughly the same on my 2nd track day as well.

Putnam is the only track I've ridden, besides the "parade" laps they let you do around the GP track at Indy during GP weekend, and I loved it. I met a lot of good guys there and just had an all around good time. One of the instructors made a comment it was one of the safest tracks for track days, too, due to the ample run off room for all but one of the turns. My only complaint is that there are 10 turns, and 8 of them are right handed. I just wish it was a little more even. But that's a pretty minor complaint. Hopefully next year I'll either be able to hit Autobahn in Chicago or MidOhio once.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Knee drags YOU!

Bike: '05 R6 + Vintage Yamahas

I feel you OP. Knee/leg pain is probably my biggest body issue at the track.

Hanging off the bike, I've got almost all my weight on that inside foot. Stock rearsets here aswell.
I've actually had to pit briefly before because my knees have gotten so sore.

I'm going to try some stompgrips next year, hopefully they'll allow me to hold onto the tank better with my outside leg.

Mods: Armor Bodies Superbike bodywork, Pirelli SBK Pro Slicks, Renthal 50mm Clipons, Bickle warmers, etc, etc...
Gear: ATGATT down to the mouthguard.

A few vintage Yamaha bikes

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmay View Post
I don't have any pics of me riding on the track, but I'm sure it's safe to say that my form/body position needs help in all areas lol.

I was curious about adjustable rearsets, too, as I've never had the chance to ride a bike with them or anything. Maybe someone who has good experience with them will give some advice.

Relaxing is probably something I still need a lot of work on as well. You know how your first track day goes; you're excited, scared, nervous, and ecstatic all at the same time. I was probably feeling roughly the same on my 2nd track day as well.

Putnam is the only track I've ridden, besides the "parade" laps they let you do around the GP track at Indy during GP weekend, and I loved it. I met a lot of good guys there and just had an all around good time. One of the instructors made a comment it was one of the safest tracks for track days, too, due to the ample run off room for all but one of the turns. My only complaint is that there are 10 turns, and 8 of them are right handed. I just wish it was a little more even. But that's a pretty minor complaint. Hopefully next year I'll either be able to hit Autobahn in Chicago or MidOhio once.
Dang, get a pic. I'm sure there was a track photographer there. Link us to a pic of you on his site or whatever.

Adjustable rearsets are the business. BUT, they are gonna be higher from the ground. You may be able to adjust em towards the back of the bike to let your legs extend a bit, but don't expect too much from that in regards to an increase in comfort. The main reason for the rearsets is to get the pegs further off the ground, and to have them be solid state pegs that don't fold. This offers better grip and stability on the pegs. Higher up position allows you to really lay on the bike more and get off it while keeping your outside knee planted into the tank.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Super Mod

Bike: 05 R6
Send a message via AIM to mx3TT

I tend to get some knee pain in my right knee since there are so many right turns on both NJMP tracks. Usually after the day is over I have trouble walking for a while....but my body sucks so that could be why

RED 2005 R6
Racefit Growler - Solo Exhaust Bracket - Lockhart Phillips No Cut Carbon Fiber Frame Sliders - Lockhart Phillips Carbon Fiber Swingarm Sliders - Puig Tinted Double Bubble Windscreen - Pirelli Diablo DRC - BMC Air Filter - Shift Shaft Support - Dyno Jet Power Commander 3 USB - Yamaha Factory Seat Cowl - Factory Pro +4 Ignition Advancer - Graves Slide Stops - 520 Conversion(-1,+2) AFAM/DIDERV3 - Graves Smog Block Off Plates - Speedo Healer - GPR Steering Damper - Dyno Jet Quick Shifter
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM
A work in progress...

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Sounds like you need to stop sucking dick on your knees. No but OP you said Putnam, as in Putnamville IN? Where are you located?

RIP Matt (Ghost R6). You will be greatly missed. Be smooth and the rubber turning till we meet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
"I refuse to tip toe through life to arrive safely at deaths door".
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
There is more to squidliness than just your gear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in