Lowside question, front end feel? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Lowside question, front end feel?

So this past weekend I ran chuckwalla ccw and at t-14 I kept getting some weird feedback from my bike. Instead of being able to relax after turn in and let the bike cruise it's course I had to fight the bars to make the turn. The front end felt twitchy, as if it were sliding out a bit, and I would have to physically turn the bars to keep on line. Since I haven't been down yet I can only assume this was a sign that I was about to lowside. Any ideas as to what could be the issue. The rest of the track was fine and I had zero issues.
Basically I'm wondering if the description fits the feel of a bike about to let go? I would like to know in case it does let go I can relax and go with it instead of getting tense and fighting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: Lowside question, front end feel?

Tire pressure? Suspension setup?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Q2's 30/29. I'm still on factory settings suspension wise. I plan on getting the suspension dialed in over the winter break but if it were the suspension I would think I would have problems with the rest of the track as well.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny View Post
Q2's 30/29. I'm still on factory settings suspension wise. I plan on getting the suspension dialed in over the winter break but if it were the suspension I would think I would have problems with the rest of the track as well.
Maybe you are just really good on that turn and feel it there. I'll let others chime in. I have little faith in those tires. A few people I ride with complained of a similar sensation and in fact did lowside shortly afterwards in that spot.

So it could just be the front end getting ready to let go, but I can't be sure or make an accurate assumption. It's safe to say that not having the suspension setup ever isn't helping any.

Having to continuously provide input to the bars to hold a line is a sign of shitty suspension setup.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-

Last edited by ChiefSmokeDawg; 12-06-2011 at 09:32 AM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:11 AM
billdozer

Bike: 2011 R6

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
get your suspension setup and tires made for the track. Being prepared makes a huge difference at the track and it can keep you riding all day! the stock suspension setup isn't bad but its not intended for track use and is a bit soft and jumpy. After my first setup it was a noticeable difference in handling and feel.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Yeah I need to get the suspension setup but the guy I want to go to basically works out of his personal garage and as such I need to get stands before we can get started. Strange to hear this input about the Q2's as pretty much every review I have read has been positive. They held really well at Willow Springs. Chuck is strange though, instead of beading up rubber on the tires it seemed like I was cleaning my tires up. They almost look like there brand new as the tearing and bald up rubber from my last track day was cleaned off.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Yeah I need to get the suspension setup but the guy I want to go to basically works out of his personal garage and as such I need to get stands before we can get started. Strange to hear this input about the Q2's as pretty much every review I have read has been positive. They held really well at Willow Springs. Chuck is strange though, instead of beading up rubber on the tires it seemed like I was cleaning my tires up. They almost look like there brand new as the tearing and bald up rubber from my last track day was cleaned off.
That's a GREAT sign!! It means you're smooth getting on the throttle, and your suspension is probably not all that far off in regards to rebound settings

I rode em a couple times and didn't take to them well. I am partial to a softer carcass tire in general.

-
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
The surface at Chuck is only 2 years old, and much different compared to the way old pavement at Willow. That may be a factor in the tires cleaning up. I remember having similar wear the one time I was out there.

I rode Chuck clock-wise, so I don't know what T-14 is CCW, but it may be something as simple as the line your taking. I kept struggling with turn 5 at Big Willow. I kept randomly missing apexes and felt like I was fighting the bike to get it turned. After talking to a control rider I realized I was trying to turn in where the track was off-camber, and hence it took waaay more effort than expected to get the bike turned.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Is this a segment?

Bike: Vengesicle

Some great feedback. I think the OP has done a pretty good job of narrowing down the situation to help find a resolution. And like has already been mentioned, tire pressure and suspension can have A LOT to do with weird sensations - even isolated ones due to the nature of a particular turn.
Also as Fallis mentioned, it could simply be your approach considering the incident seems isolated to that corner.

I'm a huge fan of the Q2 and have had great luck with it. I had similar front end issues on Pures (the tires weren't a factor, just clarifying) on a turn that crests a hill at the apex - I was pushing a little wide. I adjusted my front ride height a few mm and it made all the difference in the world. My front end was sitting too high in relation to my rear - causing the front to essentially just "lay over" which made it push.

Good luck OP

Rest in Peace - Jason "Snocompton" Jones 2/23/87 - 11/4/11
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

The Q2s r plenty good for regular TDs, some of us wont find the limit of those tires. Wat was the temp at the track that day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in