maintenance - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2014 R6
maintenance

Now that I'm track only, I'm curious how the maintenance schedule goes....currently I'm at 4000 miles ish. Only thing I done is air filter change and oil changes.

I plan on doing the spark plugs at the one year mark of my bike then do the fork oil at the end of the season next year.

So far I currently have three trackday under the r6. I change my oil after every two trackday with rotella.

Curious what everyone else is doing for the maintenance schedule since a track only bike is a lil different when it come to maintenance intervals with mileage.

CVMA #143

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

instagram shawn3210
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 PM
I eat my R6

Re: maintenance

-- full suspension service at start/end of season and halfway through season
-- oil change before every weekend on track, filter every other
-- plugs and pivot points (swingarm, steering head) lube every off season, air filter inspection (one of the things i need to upkeep better)
-- steering damper refresh every other season
-- chain clean and lube morning of every day on track
-- clean/lube axles every race/track weekend
-- wash after every event
-- valve clearance check every off season
-- brake fluid every other event

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source

Last edited by natedogg624; 12-28-2011 at 08:32 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

I don't race, I'm just a track junkie.. Middle of the pack intermediate group, and I do this:

Lube chain at the end of every track day.
new oil/filter every 4-5 dry days
Suspension refresh at the end of every season.
Plugs.... maybe every other season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Brake fluid flushes every few days too.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 PM
iRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

Oh yeah.. I'll probably do brake fluid every other season or so.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM
My bike is my therapist

Bike: 2006 R6
It really wears out brake fluid that quickly when you ride on the track? Currently change it about once a year street riding..

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 PM
iRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB630 View Post
It really wears out brake fluid that quickly when you ride on the track? Currently change it about once a year street riding..

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

No... But it's the same with people changing synthetic oil after every track weekend. Some people just wanna throw money at a thing, so you've just gotta let 'em.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:34 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
ah yes forgot about that. i do it, just didn't write it down.

lever feel is no longer consistent and gets mushy after a few rounds at the track.

i do it as a pre race maintenance ritual, that way i know when i unload my bike at the track my brakes are going to be solid every time.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source

Last edited by natedogg624; 12-28-2011 at 08:37 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post
ah yes forgot about that. i do it, just didn't write it down.

lever feel is no longer consistent and gets mushy after a few rounds at the track.

i do it as a pre race maintenance ritual, that way i know when i unload my bike at the track my brakes are going to be solid every time.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I luv me a fresh bleed and flush

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

If your just a track day person you should be fine with a more relaxed regimen.

Oil change every 4 track days, or 4 months, which ever comes first.

Change the brake fluid once a year.

New chain once a year. Be sure to do a cleaning and lube job before every track day.

You can do the suspension refurbish once a year, or every two years even. It is best to do it once a year.

The swing arm & steering head bearing should be done once a year, but can honestly go for two, or more without issue. Again it is best to do it once a year though.

Coolant flush and change once a year. This is a must do.

Clean the air filter with every oil change.

Change the plugs once a year, or as needed. They are truly good for 8,000 miles. You won't get that many in a year on the track only.

I go through a check list before every track day that goes over all the little things:

Check important bolts before every track day if they are not safety wired. I check the throttle cable to be sure it's not fraying or starting to split.

I check wheel bearings for play and and do a quick once over on any thing that has been changed!

I always start the bike to be sure that my temp warning light comes on ( I don't use fans and placed an LED light in their place ) , or the fans work when they are supposed to.

I listen closely to the engine while it's getting up to temp for any possible issues.

While I have the tank up I do a check of all the rubber hoses for cracks.

I always check the oil, brakes, water level, clutch play, steering damper function, clip on bolts and bars, as well as fuel level.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in