the noob any advice? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
My R6 ate me

Bike: 2000 R6 TRACK ONLY
the noob any advice?

Just sold the street bike for track only 2000 r6. Can not wait to get on it and ride. I have a few questions. Iv only been to the track once with sportbike track time only because they hosted at a local track. Im from nashville tennesse so id like to keep fairly local to south east for now. First question is what is your oppinion on them and others that offer track days. Pros and cons of each. Second is what is the first thing i need to do with the bike it has been sitting for a year or so but very well taken care of and maintained through its life started right up and took off on the test ride. Next question is tires. Unfortunately im not going to be able to do more than 3 to 5 track days a year. Being new im not going to destroy tires after 1 outing. If i was to buy a set off tires would i be ok letting them sit for 2 or 3 months? Or should i go for a cheaper tire and sell them after? Thanks for all the help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:27 AM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma
Re: the noob any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDGRUNTZ View Post
Just sold the street bike for track only 2000 r6. Can not wait to get on it and ride. I have a few questions. Iv only been to the track once with sportbike track time only because they hosted at a local track. Im from nashville tennesse so id like to keep fairly local to south east for now. First question is what is your oppinion on them and others that offer track days. Pros and cons of each. Second is what is the first thing i need to do with the bike it has been sitting for a year or so but very well taken care of and maintained through its life started right up and took off on the test ride. Next question is tires. Unfortunately im not going to be able to do more than 3 to 5 track days a year. Being new im not going to destroy tires after 1 outing. If i was to buy a set off tires would i be ok letting them sit for 2 or 3 months? Or should i go for a cheaper tire and sell them after? Thanks for all the help!!!
STT isn't around me but, change the oil and check the coolant at the least. Check the tires THOROUGHLY for any signs of aging or dry rot, check the DOT number on the tire to see how old it is usually marked inside a box on the sidewall (newer ones will have DOT marked in the box as well) 4 numbers xxXX xx is the week the tire was made XX is the year. Starting out depending on your progress, your tires should last you at least two track days. For starting out, I'd recommend either Pilot Power 2ct's or Power Pures, I'm sure some Bridgestone lovers will be in soon enough to recommend a set of those.

Letting street tires sit for 2-3 months you will probably be fine, especially with limited track time. If you were going for softer compound tires for mostly track use I would say buy some good stands to put it up on to prevent flat spots.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
My R6 ate me

Bike: 2000 R6 TRACK ONLY

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PICS OF THE NEW BIKE FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT WANT TO SEE IT

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 AM
HONKEY KONG

Bike: 2010 R6

Congrats. I would do a search here on trackbike maintenance. NESBA is a good forum for info too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in