Jason DiSalvo Speed Academy 2012 Schedule Released - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Team STG Racing

Bike: 06 R1,08 R6,09 675,10 R6
Thumbs up Jason DiSalvo Speed Academy 2012 Schedule Released

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(However the event listed on Nov. 24th has been removed from the schedule).

Facebook page:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Main Website:

(Main website is in progress of being updated).

Chris Broome
Sportbike Track Time Southern Division/Speed Academy Instructor
WERA Expert #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Team STG Racing

Re: Jason DiSalvo Speed Academy 2012 Schedule Released

Main website has been updated with dates and prices (co-STT dates are listed also).

Rumor is there is a new website being developed, so stay tuned

I am already signed up for the first event at Talladega the last weekend in March, hope to see some of you there.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #2

Sponsors:
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: R6, 600RR

I hope to do his school this year too!!

STT Staff
Midwest Instructor

CCS #56 - WSB, Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Vortex, Sharkskinz, FMCRacing,

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Team STG Racing

All kidding aside, and this is no "sponsor plug", it made an immediate, drastic difference in my riding.

Talladega is a short track (I think it is 1.6 miles) and I had done at least 10 full weekends there and never went faster than a 1:02.9. After doing the DiSalvo Speed Academy, I was running low 1:01's.

At a short track like that, knocking 2-3 tenths off of an already Expert pace is hard to do. They knocked 2 full seconds off my lap times. But the thing was, it didnt feel like i was going any faster. The drills they taught actually increased my room for error and reduced my lean angle, so i went faster, while riding easier...if that makes any sense.

I have taken 3 different schools (one of which costs twice as much as the Speed Academy) and the JDSA is the only one that i can HONESTLY say made a drastic, immediate impact in my riding.

No long drawn out explainations that require a physics degree, no arguing about what actually happens when a motorcycle turns, no discussing or trying to disprove various theories. Just real-world drills and working on real-world skills that are immediately applicable to your riding.

I am already signed up for the school at the end of March at Talladega and can't wait!

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #2

Sponsors:
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 AM

He'll be at some northern tracks this year, but i'm gonna wait till it warms up here. Nothing like doing a school in 38 degree weather ;-) but you guys in the south don't get that

so, yeah, i plan on doing it, probably at grattan, probably when summer comes around.

has written a few articles about the school, so i'm quite familiar with the approach. i loved STAR school. Hopefully i'll love JDSA!

STT Staff
Midwest Instructor

CCS #56 - WSB, Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Vortex, Sharkskinz, FMCRacing,
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Team STG Racing

I plan on being at Grattan also, so I will see you there.
You will have to show me the good line, I have never been there and I SUCK at learning new tracks.

Actually, we do get some cold days down here because the season starts so early. I have raced when it was 35-40deg..............and it sucked.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #2

Sponsors:
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM

No, problem!
Grattan is by far the most technical track i've ever been to. It's got 13 turns (i think it's 13) and 11 of them are blind. It's been recently repaved (still some issues) but it's scary. I've seen people cry at Grattan. I swear!!

Just as a reference, i've been to Gingerman, Road America, Blackhawk Farms, Putnam park, Jennings, Barber, Autobahn north, south, and full, Topeka, Mid Ohio and probably some others that i can't think of.

STT Staff
Midwest Instructor

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Team STG Racing

Oh wow...you arent making me feel any better nor more confident about the whole situation.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #2

Sponsors:
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 AM
FedEx Man

I was hoping Jason would bring it closer to his hometown. I live about 10 mins away from his house, (side note: you should see his dad's christmas light display lol) like mid ohio or NJMP. But the more I'm reading it looks like his academy is geared towards making racers faster, and not so much for beginners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Around here you gotta be like a midget at a urinal, always on your fcukin toes
"Never trust a man in a wheel chair with dirty shoes."

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Team STG Racing

Jason moved and lives close to Birmingham now.

Actually, the school isn't geared towards making racers faster. When I took it last year, there were only 2 racers in the class.

I wouldnt just start out riding and take it. In other words, I wouldnt buy a bike, take the MSF, get your M-endorsement and sign up for the Speed Academy

But if you have a few track days/weekends under your belt, you can take it and would benefit greatly from it.

When i was there, i would say that 80% of the riders in the class rode in the Intermediate track day group.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #2

Sponsors:
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in