1st track day prep - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
My R6 ate me
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
Posts: 79
Bike: 2000 R6 TRACK ONLY
1st track day prep

so im going down to barber in march for my second track day. last time i was on the street bike put a new set of rubber in and went. now i have sold that and have a track only bike. im new to all of this and not really sure what needs to be done. tire choice im only gonna be on the track 3 or 4 times a year do i need to buy take offs and trash them after or will a good set last and be ok sitting in the garage tire size what are all the advantages and disadvantages in the 180/55 180/50 and the 190s tire pressure what do i need to run and how does it effect riding? oil oil filter the list goes on not looking to break the bank just looking to have fun. tips and hints anything and everything is appreciated. thanks in advance


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MUDGRUNTZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Parts Pimp
 
ChiefSmokeDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: JerZ
Posts: 26,451
Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: 1st track day prep

sick bro. Post pics of the track bike.

Just get some good street/track tires and go bro. 2cts, pirelli supercorsa SP's, Dunlop Q2's, etc..

Unless you're a fast rider, they are good up to and thru intermediate pace for most people.

If I bought a track bike, I would bring it to the shop I goto and have them go over the bike completely. You have no clue the amount of bullshit rubber banded and half-assed fixes we all have found on the track bikes in our group of riders!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM
I hate you Turn 4!
 
aaronk277's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: A house with windows
Posts: 1,890
Bike: 09 Orca
Re: 1st track day prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
sick bro. Post pics of the track bike.

Just get some good street/track tires and go bro. 2cts, pirelli supercorsa SP's, Dunlop Q2's, etc..

Unless you're a fast rider, they are good up to and thru intermediate pace for most people.

If I bought a track bike, I would bring it to the shop I goto and have them go over the bike completely. You have no clue the amount of bullshit rubber banded and half-assed fixes we all have found on the track bikes in our group of riders!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


And welcome to the family of being broke
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Join the XBL Races on MotoGp 14 here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Join the XBL Races on SBKX here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chat thread here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
600 Superbike Series Novice # 277
aaronk277 is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Meh
 
Fallis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,250
Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: 1st track day prep

If the first gen uses a 60 profile front, you may want to switch to a 70 and lower the front end accordingly. The rounder profile improves turn-in. 30 psi works well for most street tires. I've heard Power Pures work better a little lower. You may need to adjust a few psi up or down depending on the ambient temperature. You can always check with the track side tire vendor for recommendations.

Like Chief says, a good track day oriented street tire should be fine for you until you get faster.

At minimum, go over everything they're going to check at tech inspection. Go over the brakes, make sure all the controls work correctly, return springs work right. Check all fasteners that hold back fluid. Oil filler, drain plug, coolant drains, etc. Make sure the chain and sprockets are in good condition. Brake pads & fluid.

If you're only doing 3-4 track days a season, you should be able to get away with doing an oil change once a season. Fork oil changes every couple of seasons. If you don't know when the suspension has last been refreshed, you should do that. Visit the suspension guy your first time out and get the bike setup for you.

That should give you a good start!
Fallis is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Black & Yellow
 
bigballin228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 473
Re: 1st track day prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDGRUNTZ View Post
so im going down to barber in march for my second track day. last time i was on the street bike put a new set of rubber in and went. now i have sold that and have a track only bike. im new to all of this and not really sure what needs to be done. tire choice im only gonna be on the track 3 or 4 times a year do i need to buy take offs and trash them after or will a good set last and be ok sitting in the garage tire size what are all the advantages and disadvantages in the 180/55 180/50 and the 190s tire pressure what do i need to run and how does it effect riding? oil oil filter the list goes on not looking to break the bank just looking to have fun. tips and hints anything and everything is appreciated. thanks in advance
I may see you up there. I don't have my track schedule in front of me tho. Which dates/organization you rolling with?
bigballin228 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
My R6 ate me
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
Posts: 79
Bike: 2000 R6 TRACK ONLY
Re: 1st track day prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballin228 View Post
I may see you up there. I don't have my track schedule in front of me tho. Which dates/organization you rolling with?
STT March 12th i think it is.

the bike was bought brand new by a css racer he put an 01 motor in and totally striped it down. race wire harness. cut the sub frame back. he put light weight hose pipe to repace some tubing. Im not sure what the hell is going on with it but he obviosly new what he was doing i got a 2 inch binder full of receipts and notes. he ran for 1 season and then sold it to the guy i bought it from who ran one wera season and a hand full of track days so the bike is still young and looks like it has been very well maintained he estimated it to be around 3k to 5k on the odo but becasue the wire harness it does not work. front end has been lowered a little and the back raised a little.


what kind of price am i looking at to get the suspension freshend up?


what kind of oil should i put in and oil filter?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MUDGRUNTZ is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
My R6 ate me
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
Posts: 79
Bike: 2000 R6 TRACK ONLY
Re: 1st track day prep


To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MUDGRUNTZ is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 AM
www.1seven1.com
 
danaatscootdotnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 2,064
Re: 1st track day prep

Nice! You'll have a blast. I raced a couple seasons on a Gen1. Great bike.

Find out what trackside tire vendors will be there and choose your tires accordingly. It helps a ton to have support with tire pressures, wear, etc. Or even show up the night before and camp, then get your tires then.

Looks like your bike is prepped, but double-check the calipers, wheel bolts, etc are tight, the chain is adjusted, there's oil in it, and there's a non-glycol coolant in the radiator and you should be ready to go.

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danaatscootdotnet is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Derp
 
ramm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,308
Bike: 2007 R6
Re: 1st track day prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDGRUNTZ View Post
STT March 12th i think it is.

the bike was bought brand new by a css racer he put an 01 motor in and totally striped it down. race wire harness. cut the sub frame back. he put light weight hose pipe to repace some tubing. Im not sure what the hell is going on with it but he obviosly new what he was doing i got a 2 inch binder full of receipts and notes. he ran for 1 season and then sold it to the guy i bought it from who ran one wera season and a hand full of track days so the bike is still young and looks like it has been very well maintained he estimated it to be around 3k to 5k on the odo but becasue the wire harness it does not work. front end has been lowered a little and the back raised a little.


what kind of price am i looking at to get the suspension freshend up?


what kind of oil should i put in and oil filter?

Sweet!! I will be there that weekend! It is the 10th-11th of March btw.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I got my suspension setup, forks rebuilt (new fluid and seals) for $350 I believe. I paid a little more than normal but I had to get it done in a rush, day before a trackday.

K&N Filter BTW, you can order them online, they come predrilled for safety wiring.

STT SOUTHERN DIVISION STAFF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ramm is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Meh
 
Fallis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,250
Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: 1st track day prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramm View Post
I got my suspension setup, forks rebuilt (new fluid and seals) for $350 I believe. I paid a little more than normal but I had to get it done in a rush, day before a trackday.
Yeah, I had my forks refreshed, and shock refreshed & revalved for exactly that much. If you just need the refresh it should be a bit less than that.
Fallis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track Prep Question CWellman Track Tech & Riding Techniques 4 12-09-2009 04:56 PM
Track Prep CWellman Track Tech & Riding Techniques 16 09-20-2009 08:34 PM
track prep help on youtube mcor6 Track Tech & Riding Techniques 4 08-10-2009 08:22 PM
Track Prep dang387 General Discussions 28 04-08-2009 12:26 AM
2001 R6 prep for the track jonathanryoung Track Tech & Riding Techniques 0 03-20-2008 07:47 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome