Turns and associated questions - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
In Her Dreams

Bike: 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6
Send a message via Yahoo to JayDeuce23
Turns and associated questions

I have a question about taking turns on the street, ie back country road you can get the bike leaning a little turns. I look through the turn try not to target fixate, make an effort to countersteer, but sometimes the bike still seems to run wide. Any idea what could cause this? My BP is descent not perfect but I shift my weight to the inside peg and even slide my outside leg against the tank which moves my butt from the center of the seat as well. I brought my bike (2006 R6 not the S) with a 190/55 rear. And it also seems to ride a bit low, could the suspension be an issue? Steering seems kind of heavy at times also.

Thanks for any advice or tips?

Part Out Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Additonal Fairings:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 R6
MODS:PCIII; 05 Header with Leo Vince Slip On; Fren Tubo Type 3; DB Smoke Screen, Woodcraft Sliders

Love, Live, Life

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: Turns and associated questions

What kind of tire is it? The bigger rear could potentially make it turn slower depending on how the suspension is setup.

Have you had the suspension setup for your weight? If not, start with that. It will make a huge difference.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Harley Hatin'

Bike: 2014 ducati monster 696

Measure the seat height for us and someone can tell u if its lowered

ill think of something later

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
In Her Dreams

I have not had that done, and it will be first on my list. Any bike shop will do for that? I'm new to the sport bike world kind of lol. It's some type of tomahawk tire or something like that.

Part Out Thread:

Additonal Fairings:

06 R6
MODS:PCIII; 05 Header with Leo Vince Slip On; Fren Tubo Type 3; DB Smoke Screen, Woodcraft Sliders

Love, Live, Life

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 R6
How are you on the throttle? Do you chop it real hard right before you enter the turn? Are you off and on with it during the turn? That will also upset the suspension. But like others have suggested, dial in your suspension for your height and weight first. Good luck man, ride safe!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Harley Hatin'

Bike: 2014 ducati monster 696

Well welcome home lol....I would go find a reputable shop that u can half way trust (i don't trust any of them) and figure out what all ur settings are .....some of the track guys around here can tell u where to go from there....what to adjust and stuff...ride height....all that kind of thing

ill think of something later
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
In Her Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk'06 View Post
How are you on the throttle? Do you chop it real hard right before you enter the turn? Are you off and on with it during the turn? That will also upset the suspension. But like others have suggested, dial in your suspension for your height and weight first. Good luck man, ride safe!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
No I actually roll the throttle closed in a smooth motion so as not to upset the suspension. In the turn I roll it open slightly, and increase beyond the apex, and drive off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus1138 View Post
Well welcome home lol....I would go find a reputable shop that u can half way trust (i don't trust any of them) and figure out what all ur settings are .....some of the track guys around here can tell u where to go from there....what to adjust and stuff...ride height....all that kind of thing
Ok cause I'm 6'4 230 lbs.....hopefully some others chime in as well, thanks guys.

Part Out Thread:

Additonal Fairings:

06 R6

Love, Live, Life

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeuce23 View Post
No I actually roll the throttle closed in a smooth motion so as not to upset the suspension. In the turn I roll it open slightly, and increase beyond the apex, and drive off.

Ok cause I'm 6'4 230 lbs.....hopefully some others chime in as well, thanks guys.
If the settings are stock, it's going to be way off for you. You'll likely need new springs to get it really right, but dialing in the stock stuff to the best of it's ability will make a big difference.

If you want to play with it yourself, there's a thorough write-up in the Suspension Settings section about how to measure everything and set it up yourself.

Otherwise, find a local shop that sets up race bikes and have them do it for $20-40.

Or go to a track day, where they'll have suspension service on site.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
In Her Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
If the settings are stock, it's going to be way off for you. You'll likely need new springs to get it really right, but dialing in the stock stuff to the best of it's ability will make a big difference.

If you want to play with it yourself, there's a thorough write-up in the Suspension Settings section about how to measure everything and set it up yourself.

Otherwise, find a local shop that sets up race bikes and have them do it for $20-40.

Or go to a track day, where they'll have suspension service on site.
Thanks for the advice, any recommend springs if it does come down to that?

Part Out Thread:

Additonal Fairings:

06 R6

Love, Live, Life

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 R6

Watch "twist of the wrist 2". That helped me out a lot. The story line dialog is lame but the instructional portion is good.... Next up is a track day for me to learn more, but i enjoyed what i got from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in