Going through the motions - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Bike: Pos
Going through the motions

Lets talk about how to's for practical track/riding situations... as if you're running through the game plan in your head before the race.

Coming off the straight into the first turn.

Watching the breaking markers (later the braking=the harder the tip in and faster on the gas)
knees gripping the tank to support your weight
braking and pulling the clutch in and blipping while dropping down 2-3 gears, easing of the clutch lever slowly
easing the hold on the brakes before tipping in
looking through the turn
hard on the gas at the apex.

When im tipping in whats going through my mind regarding BP is - Am i on the balls of feet? am i off the seat? Is my knee driving into the gas tank? Is my other knee out as a feeler? Is my forearm follwing the gas tank and is elbow pit area tucked around the tank? are my wrists relaxed and light on the bars? Am i ONLY looking through the turn?

Whats peoples thoughts on being off the seat when braking for say sharp turns so you're allready setup? Eliminate a movement of braking then sliding off seat...

Where is everyone shifting?

Im wrapping my head around the use of the quickshifter now...

lets get this thing going!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:58 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Re: Going through the motions

i like to be in line while braking hard, or atleast have my upper body in line with the bike. Im ok with having my knee out and ass off the seat while braking tho.

I use the clutch up shifting and down. Pretty decent at blipping, I blip once per gear. I dont do 2-3 at a time

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Team STG Racing

Bike: 06 R1,08 R6,09 675,10 R6

I don't brake hard like I used too. I brake lighter...for longer. In other words, i might brake at the same place as other people, but i brake lighter (which opens up passing opportunities) and i stay on the brakes till apex.

Then i get off the brakes and on the gas while dipping my head/upper body to take away lean angle as i straighten the bike up and increase throttle.

Chris Broome
Sportbike Track Time Southern Division/Speed Academy Instructor
WERA Expert #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j

that makes a lot of sense, ill have to give that a try

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Team STG Racing

Be careful with that. It is something you have to work up to. When i say i am still on the brakes at apex, i mean like 1-2%...because im using 95-96% of my available traction for lean angle.

...and leaving myself 2-3% safety zone.

I don't have to tell you what happens when you go over 100%.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #2

Sponsors:
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Bike: Pos
I lowsided in a turn once cause i was trying to brake late and I think I wasn't off the brake enough when tipping in(I tip in hard naturally and combined with running out of real estate I tipped in even harder) and I tucked the front end.

How does ur method work exactly? Can ya walk me through it?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Team STG Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotthefeelin View Post
I lowsided in a turn once cause i was trying to brake late and I think I wasn't off the brake enough when tipping in(I tip in hard naturally and combined with running out of real estate I tipped in even harder) and I tucked the front end.

How does ur method work exactly? Can ya walk me through it?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
To be honest, I had never trail braked before August of last year. I learned how to trail brake at the Speed Academy. They did drills that teach you exactly how much "1% braking" is and then we did trail braking drills. Had it not been for that instruction, I probably still wouldn't be doing it right.

But to answer your question, I arrive at my braking marker and i already have my butt scooted off the inside of the seat and my leg out and im on the brakes, bracing myself with my outside leg on tank (this isnt a situation where im braking HARD, in those situations, i leave both legs against the tank while im braking HARD, then stick my inside knee out right before i tip in).

As i tip in and start adding lean angle, i start reducing brake pressure in an amount relative to the amount of lean angle im adding so i dont use up all my available traction.

90% braking + 10% available lean angle
80% braking + 20% available lean angle

So on and so forth. Eventually i will arrive at apex with something like 95% lean angle and 1-2% braking. That little bit of braking is enough to alter the geometry and help the bike finish off the turn. Then from there, I start applying throttle.

Let me know if that doesnt answer your question and I will try to explain it better.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #2

Sponsors:
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 06:22 AM
=]

Bike: 2007 Candy Red R6
Send a message via AIM to derffred

Great thread

Upgrades List

<- Add me

RIP BallistiK
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 AM
candy red

Bike: 07 r6s
Send a message via MSN to lopez95632

Awesome responce chaotic! So how I picture you doing it is something like this

Breaks going in:
Your here
(-)-----------------------------------------------------------------------(+)

Lean:
Your here

Than as your in the corner it gets to this point

Braking:
Now your here

Lean angle:
Now your here

Than when your coming out of the corner its like this

Breaking:
Your here

Lean angle
Your here

With give or take a little incase you need it.

must read for new members

Last edited by lopez95632; 02-04-2012 at 07:49 AM.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 AM
candy red

Bike: 07 r6s
Send a message via MSN to lopez95632

Now why the **** doesn't my post look like how I made it!?!??!

The first line should be all the way to the right.

2 and 3 lines should BOTH be in the middle

And line six should be all the way to the right.

I hope it helps.

must read for new members

Last edited by lopez95632; 02-04-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in