Heat Shield Race Fairings? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Mario J's Apple Juice

Bike: White Raven R6
Heat Shield Race Fairings?

Prepping my friend's bike for his first track day and was wondering if it's required? Exhaust is pretty close to the fiberglass. I've heard you don't need it unless you want to protect the paint since it bubbles up.

Special Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for this sig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Pause..Clarify..Dominate

Bike: 03 R6
Re: Heat Shield Race Fairings?

its never a bad idea. It's better than having your plastics melting all over the track...or worse, your bike catching fire.

"RIDICULOUSLY LARGE IMAGES"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 R6

I didn't and my 05 headers are pretty close and it's fine.

The exhaust did burn my lower a little bit but I'm not sure if that was during the lowside..

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I have a stock exhaust and, althouhg the bodywork will fit, I was told by Armour Bodies to put
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
because it's tight around the cat.
Race fairings are easier to put on and off, he (and myself, if have to) could remove the belly pan between sessions or at least during the lunch break.

MOTORCYCLING. If a Harley is catching up, you're doing it wrong.
09 Yamaha R6 - track only
06 Honda 599

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 AM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550

Well, first of all, fiberglass won't melt. The paint might distort or bubble and over time that area of the fiberglass might get slightly brittle from the heat. A package of the heat shield will run about $20 at an auto storeand it would be enough to do two pans. You wouldn't need to cover it as thoroughly as you would street plastic

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

I would or the fiberglass can bubble, deform, and even separate.... Especially if you plan to do some decent paint.

When you want to win, when there is no substitute for the best, when you don't want to feel the sting of second place, you really only have one place to turn.

EDR Performance, because their fast is faster than everyone else's

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

my leo touches... but my bike is already ugly to look at.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swagger likes this.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

My belly has been fine all season with no heat tape or anything. I will consider putting some on there, but it's one more thing to worry about. It gets wet, then dries and shrinks and peels back over time, then you have glue getting on the pipes and smoke, etc..

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Bike: Pos
My 05 header swap bubbled on me at the front of the lower pan.

Heat shield helped after the fact no problems since but lol still havent fixed the bubbles yet.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

Bike: 06 R6, 1098

Agg,

You said your Leo touches? I had seen in other threads that this at least used to be a problem burning through with the full Leos w/ Armour Bodies (I even saw some cut a spot where the upper header touches and then make a fiberglass bubble to seal the pan). I called AB who said that was an issue with early designs and has been resolved. I want the Leo/AB combination but if the Leo has problems I guess I'll go Akra... Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in