Track Day Prep List - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 09 R6, 07 R6S, 05 WR250F
Track Day Prep List

What's up guys. I finally booked my first Track Day (Jennings GP, Feb. 26) and I'm really psyched, but I have a lot of things to get together before I'm ready. I've got some tentative prep lists and would like to see what you all have to add or change.

Bike Prep:
Change spark plugs (due in a few miles)
Change oil (due in a few miles)
Check/bleed brakes
Clean/lube/tension chain
Check/clean air filter
Tape lights/remove fuses
Check/flush coolant - It is not required to run straight water, but recommended. Thoughts on this? I live in FL so it's not likely to get below freezing.

Stuff to bring:
Bike with key
Gas/gas can
Tools
Stands
Tire pump/gauge
2 Helmets with extra visor
Leathers
Gloves
Boots
Back Protector
Under Armor
Extra Clothes
Cooler with lots of water/food
Some $$$
Camping Chairs
Zip ties
Duct tape
Super Glue
Camera

Things to figure out:
Transportation for bike - I have an S10 which I can fit the bike in. Loading the bike is not much of a problem because I have a small ramp. I'm more concerned about the unloading part. It would just be my wife and I rolling it down the ramp. I'm considering the Uhaul trailer route, but really would like to save the extra $. On the other hand I don't want to be stressing unloading the bike in the morning. Anyone know if there is a loading ramp at Jennings?

Canyon dancers - I'm probably going to pick some of these up. I've heard they're the shit, just wanted to confirm. I've always gotten by with several sets of ratchet straps.

Hotel - Anyone know any good ones near the track? We're probably driving up Saturday night and leaving Sunday evening.

Suspension setup - Anyone know if they're is a suspension tech at the track and what they charge for a quick setup?

Sorry for the long post, I'm sure I'll still have plenty more questions before the 26th. Thanks in advance for all the help.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:57 PM
:sheep

Re: Track Day Prep List

Usually there is a suspension tech and it's around 25-40$ I think.

that was the only question i can answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpower View Post
You have been reported.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Big ol pile of them bones

Bike: listed in sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuengling910 View Post
What's up guys. I finally booked my first Track Day (Jennings GP, Feb. 26) and I'm really psyched, but I have a lot of things to get together before I'm ready. I've got some tentative prep lists and would like to see what you all have to add or change.

Bike Prep:
Change spark plugs (due in a few miles)
Change oil (due in a few miles)
Check/bleed brakes
Clean/lube/tension chain
Check/clean air filter
Tape lights/remove fuses
Check/flush coolant - It is not required to run straight water, but recommended. Thoughts on this? I live in FL so it's not likely to get below freezing.
Water Wetter or Engine Ice, this is allowed there and it will drop your temp 5-8 degrees in the summer when its like Africa hot.

Stuff to bring:
Bike with key I bring a spare key with me too, but I have some OCD issues
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gas/gas can
Tools
Stands
Tire pump/gauge
2 Helmets with extra visor
Leathers
Gloves
Boots
Back Protector
Under Armor
Extra Clothes
Cooler with lots of water/food
Some $$$
Camping Chairs
Zip ties
Duct tape
Super Glue
Camera

Things to figure out:
Transportation for bike - I have an S10 which I can fit the bike in. Loading the bike is not much of a problem because I have a small ramp. I'm more concerned about the unloading part. It would just be my wife and I rolling it down the ramp. I'm considering the Uhaul trailer route, but really would like to save the extra $. On the other hand I don't want to be stressing unloading the bike in the morning. Anyone know if there is a loading ramp at Jennings?
No loading ramp I know of there. I rented a uhaul enclosed trailer for $20 a day last month when I went.
Canyon dancers - I'm probably going to pick some of these up. I've heard they're the shit, just wanted to confirm. I've always gotten by with several sets of ratchet straps.

Canyon Dancer FTW! I got a wheel chock from Harbor frieght and bolted to some wood and threw it in the Uhaul (keeps the wheel from turning and bike falling over). They (uhaul) do rent a open bike trailer, if you went that route, wheel chock not necessary.

Hotel - Anyone know any good ones near the track? We're probably driving up Saturday night and leaving Sunday evening.

Suspension setup - Anyone know if they're is a suspension tech at the track and what they charge for a quick setup?

Sorry for the long post, I'm sure I'll still have plenty more questions before the 26th. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Make sure you have descent/newer tires, that place will put them to the test.
Where you from?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SFLMiniGP #31

Bikez (past):
01' Champions Limited R6 (retiring from racing) now traded for a truck :-( gonna miss the old girl))
88' GSXR 750
02' R1 (sold)
04' Zuma BEAST MODE ENGAGED! 70cc S6 BBK and pipe, 68mph on flat land!
(sold, was doing 75 before it sold)
01' XR70R (sold)
99' CR125R (sold)

Bikez Current:
07' R6r (Race/Street)
99 Aprilia Sr50 LC (over 80 mph on a 2t 70cc scooter is super sketchy)

17' Honda Grom (SFLMiniGP #31)
??' 50cc air cooled pocket bike (dangerous!)
90's Blata 40cc water cooled pocket bike (seriously dangerous! 50mph with my 170lb azz.)

Last edited by Shush319; 02-09-2012 at 04:12 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I hate you Turn 4!

Bike: 09 Orca

If you have one a canopy, though it is Feb so not sure how the weather is there, but it is alway nice to cool off in the shade on a hot day than sit in the sun.

Join the XBL Races on MotoGp 14 here

Join the XBL Races on SBKX here

Chat thread here

600 Superbike Series Novice # 277
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:43 PM
FastForward Performance

Bike: Honda Z50

Don't worry about the unloading part..I am sure someone will be more than willing to help, just ask.
I would recommend the waterwetter. The last thing you want is for everybody blame you for the long cleanup that antifreeze/EngineIce will take should you have a leak.
Couple of nice hotels just north back into Ga. Only 10=15 minutes away. Restaurants too.
Depending on the Org. and group you are riding in your oil drain and filter might have to be wired...even if it isn't, it is not a bad idea.
If you are a fast Intermidiate or Advanced rider, fresh rubber is a good idea. As stated before, Jennings can and will eat tires. many will flip if staying fr 2 days.
Make sire you have plenty of fluids in your cooler, no matter what the outside temp is.

Say What??
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '07R6 Track

Like its been said, don't worry about the uloading part. You'll be amazed how friendly and helpful everyone usually is at most track day events. Being a pump and gauge to check and adjust your tire pressures.

Welcome to the addiction!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM
candy red

Bike: 07 r6s
Send a message via MSN to lopez95632

I thought engine ice was ok?

must read for new members

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 PM
I eat my R6

yes, the unloading part was my concern too. but everyone there is able to help out. guy i pit next to helped me unload and even setup my ez-up tent.

they also helped me when my tent blew over my truck.

trust me, you'll be fine for the unloading. iv'e been to the track by myself, didn't even have a lady friend by my side.

2013 Sponsors:
, Geared Up Moto,

Build Thread:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j

plenty of people to help unload the bike
bring a pop up tent
usually they have a suspension guy. 20$ and you're set
check the jennings site for hotels, some offer discounts for jennings riders
canyon dancer are great, but i just use normal ratchet straps
bring snacks

here is my check list: print yours off and literally check it off as you load it up

The Bike:
• Tape:
o Head light
o Tail light
o Blinkers
o Speedo
o Wheel weights

• Safety wire:
o Rear axel
o Front axel
o Calipers
o Oil drain
o Coolant drain
o Oil filter
o Kick stand

• Check fluids:
o F. Brake
o R. Brake
o Oil
o coolant

• Torque:
o Axel
o Calipers
o Brake lever
o Clip ons
o Shifter
o Rear sets

• Replace coolant.
• Chain slack
• Tire pressure
• Set sag
• Brake pads

Gear:
• Helmet
• Suit
• Back protector
• Gloves
• Boots
• Rain gear
o Rain Liner
o Warm layers
• Hoodie
• Under armour
• Balaclava
• Socks
• Shirt
• Jeans
• shoes

Tools etc:
• stands
• sockets
• ratchets
• hammer
• screwdrivers
• allen keys
• funnel
• jumper cables
• manual
• air compressor
• air gauge
• zip ties
• safety wire
• rags
• fluids
• duct tape
• painter tape
• torque wrench
• gas can
• tie downs
• fuses
• track map
• note pad
• table

Other:
• Key
• Key
• Key
• Cash
• License
• Cooler
• Tent
• Pillow
• Heater
• Phone
• Phone charger
• Computer
• Comp charger
• Foods
• water
• Go pro
• Radio
• Pop up tent
• Fan
• T.p.
• table

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 PM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330

after all these years of bringing some much stuff to the track I had to shrink my list, Bike, Fuel, Food, water, shade, chair, genny, warmers, tools, tires, gear.

and the most of all, Have fun!

Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in