Anyone use sport touring tires for their first track day? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition
Anyone use sport touring tires for their first track day?

I want to do a track day sometime this year, but my bike has Pilot Road 2's so I'm not sure how well they will hold up on the track. Anyone run these for trackdays? I regret not getting Power Pures, or Q2's instead of the Road 2's.

Chris
06 GSXR 750
08 Track R6 RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Then you need worse brakes, not better ones. I suggest adding some air to your lines and spraying your pads with wd-40 before you go out. You'll find all kinds of corner speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Team STG Racing

Bike: 06 R1,08 R6,09 675,10 R6
Re: Anyone use sport touring tires for their first track day?

I havent personally, but a fellow coach used to use them for coaching in the Novice and Intermediate group all the time...and he would go as fast as anybody in the Intermediate group. And his tires werent even as good as the Pilot Roads, they were like some BT-021's.

I have gotten my knee down in Deals Gap on my 600+lb Triumph Sprint ST with the saddlebags installed and loaded down.

While most people won't agree with it or want to hear it, tires like the Pilot Roads or BT-023's are MORE than capable for anybody riding in the Novice track day group or through the mountains/canyons etc.

For your first track day, you will be fine. They will get up to temperature quickly and wont be affected by heat cycles. Most Novice groups are led out by an instructor (so you are "forced" to take it easy) for 1-2 laps every session to let your tires get up to temp.

Chris Broome
Sportbike Track Time Southern Division/Speed Academy Instructor
WERA Expert #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition

ah ok good to know. Thanks

Chris
06 GSXR 750
08 Track R6 RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Then you need worse brakes, not better ones. I suggest adding some air to your lines and spraying your pads with wd-40 before you go out. You'll find all kinds of corner speed.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 PM
billdozer

Bike: 2011 R6

my first trackday i did was on my fz6 with stock tires that had 6000 miles on them. I wasn't dragging knee or anything but for the novice group they worked fine and I wasn't the slowest out there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Team STG Racing

Bike: 06 R1,08 R6,09 675,10 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutsup View Post
ah ok good to know. Thanks
No problem. Good luck
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris Broome
Sportbike Track Time Southern Division/Speed Academy Instructor
WERA Expert #2

Sponsors:
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in