Stock engine 2009 r6
What fuel are you guys running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Team STG Racing

Bike: 06 R1,08 R6,09 675,10 R6
Re: Fuel question for racers

The most common answer is, how fast are you? Not trying to be sarcastic, but most people will say that unless you are running in the top 10 or better of the 600cc/1000cc Expert classes, then race fuel is a waste of money.

With that being said, you can pour U4.4 in a stock bike and pick up some power. Obviously it would be better if the bike were tuned for it. But that is the beauty of U4.4, you can pour it in an otherwise stock bike and pick up a lil juice.

But at $70 per 5gal can, you have to ask yourself "am I not on the podium because I am short 5hp to the other guys?".

Chris Broome
Sportbike Track Time Southern Division/Speed Academy Instructor
WERA Expert #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:04 AM
I eat my R6

Shell 93

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

93 pump gas. my bike is one of - if not the - fastest 600's around. the pilot, on the other hand...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 06:25 AM
www.1seven1.com

Miller has the AMA spec fuel on pump, so that's what my bike is tuned for. Sunoco GTX 98 octane unleaded. Fairly good stuff and about $7 a gallon. Also, I don't have to drain the gas like expensive U4.4 (but daaaamn does u4 smell good!)

Honestly, buy what's easiest. You can make up for 3 hp in one turn alone by getting on the gas earlier on corner exit.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
The most common answer is, how fast are you? Not trying to be sarcastic, but most people will say that unless you are running in the top 10 or better of the 600cc/1000cc Expert classes, then race fuel is a waste of money.

With that being said, you can pour U4.4 in a stock bike and pick up some power. Obviously it would be better if the bike were tuned for it. But that is the beauty of U4.4, you can pour it in an otherwise stock bike and pick up a lil juice.

But at $70 per 5gal can, you have to ask yourself "am I not on the podium because I am short 5hp to the other guys?".

VP MR12 is also good for a 3-4 ponies on a stock motor. Any oxygenated race fuel is gonna make more power due to the large increase in air in the motor. Ideally you wanna have a fuel controller to run a richer AFR with the oxygenated fuel.

The 100 octane from the sunoco race pumps is only gonna be beneficial on a high compression motor, or one running a lot of additional timing advance. It's not oxygenated.

I'd like to run race gas just to smell it all day.
It's real rough on O2 sensors and fuel pumps tho. So if you do decide to run it OP, be sure to syphon out the extra fuel after you race. Don't leave it sitting in the tank for the fuel pumps sake. And if you can, eliminate your O2 or get ready to replace it every 50 hours or so. LOL

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 AM
n00b

Bike: 2007 R6 Charcoal
Stock bike would you run anything above 93? Unless you are having detonation issues their is no reason to run higher octane fuel. You won't get an increase in power unless you tune for it like chief said. It's a waste of money to run race fuel unless you need it.

On another note I can get Cam2 110octane at a local pump for $7/gallon and it's fun to run just for the smell lol.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 07:53 AM
www.1seven1.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
I'd like to run race gas just to smell it all day.
So true! My bike blows wicked blue flames on downshift with u4.4, as well.

With stock motor internals and tuned fuel and ignition, I get maybe 3-4 hp running the spec fuel. I do like the unleaded so the O2 sensors last longer.

I'll be buying MR12 for the RS125, but that's a whole different animal.

-D

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Team STG Racing

It was previously mentioned, but just to clarify, octane simply refers to how resistant a fuel is to combustion. So running a higher octane, for the simple reason of doing so, is not going to result in more power.

If your motor isn't modded, have higher compression etc and is tuned to need higher octane, you aren't doing anything but lightening your wallet. Ideally, you want to run the lowest octane possible that you can get away with without pre-detonation.

There are race fuels out there that are only 87 octane.

Labeling 93 Octane "Premium" is one of the biggest marketing schemes ever because it leads uneducated peoople into thinking "only the best for my shit". 93 Octane isnt better, it is just different. If your bike is tuned for 87, then putting 93 in it accomplishes nothing.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #2

Sponsors:
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX

Last edited by Chaotic; 02-15-2012 at 01:05 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Team STG Racing

My motors are built to where they can't run on pump gas, at all. I have a selectable map switch and I run U4.4 for practice and track days, then MR12 for races.

Then yes, at the end of the weekend, i siphon it out, put some pump gas i there and let it run till the exhaust doesnt smell like race fuel anymore.

But that is only if it is going to be more than a week or so. If im doing back to back weekends, i wont even bother. The U4.4 is much better than the U4.2 in that aspect...which was much better than the U4. They say you can leave the U4.4 in there and it wont hurt anything, but i still siphon it out just for peace of mind.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #2

Sponsors:
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in