Move your a$$ - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Move your a$$

Hey guys so I cant really figure out where my butt needs to go on the seat as far as forward or back. I am a pretty small small guy 5-8 5-9 on a good day roughly 145 with gear. Perfect for racing
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...... jk. But seriously I come from dirt bike riding being used to riding up on the tank. Is it the same on the street or should I move back a little?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 PM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330
Re: Move your a$$

I ride on the tank, Others will tell you to move back some, Just do what you fell works for you
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Forum Moderator

Bike: '03 Sliver R1'06 Raven R6

Work on your front part first. Keep low in the turns, don't stare at your front tire. Look into the turn and for the apex. You should put your face right at the mirror. Keep your right shoulder over the gas fill cap for your left turns and left shoulder over the gas cap for right turns. This is for very aggressive riding. Work on this and your ass will find the right spot. I tend to keep mine up towards the front.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Pause..Clarify..Dominate

Bike: 03 R6

Keep your ass where it's comfortable....as long as you're hugging the gas tank. The idea is to get as close to the bikes center of gravity as possible.

"RIDICULOUSLY LARGE IMAGES"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
You need to sit off the tank a few inches. It makes worlds of difference. You can lean off farther, get you're knee out better, hold the tank better, and you can hold your self better all around

Edit: go sit on the bike. Guarantee you will like it better. I'm from a mx background also, and rode with my dick shoved in the tank lol. Sitting off gives me more control
sent from my Nokia...wait wat?

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2003 r6 se

depends. came from dirt too so in town i usually ride the tank, when i get on the highway and goin fast enough to tuck a little i slide back and rest my elbows on my knees. when i get a little agressive i sit about mid seat all my weight on legs. no track days under my belt yet.

Last edited by joekool4; 02-20-2012 at 08:05 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 PM
track is legal heroin

Bike: 03 R6

you need to have about a fist size space between your nuts and the gas tank, you shouldnt be allowing your wieght to be held to the bike by your crotch but rather by your thighs on the tank for more control. you dont want to be right up on the tank, on top of that it will limit range of motion,i found that out at the yamaha riding school at miller and its one of the most difficult habits i have had to break going from street to track. i hang about a cheek off the bike but your butt isnt where you need to worry, its where your thigh meets the tank that you should be gripping, no wieght on the bars, or your crotch but all on your thigh, heres a vid i made last season and you can see alot of what im talking about in the camera looking back, also look up california superbike school on yourutbe and watch the vids. its the ones with the brittish guys, lots to learn from the videos.

THANKS TO

TRACKSTAR1
OGIO
NO FEAR
AND VORTEX FOR MAKING THIS YEAR POSSIBLE
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Thanks for the help guys. motoguy, I think I am going to try that spacing technique you mentioned. It does make sense that you would have a little more range of motion. I have been having trouble getting my chest lower in turns, maybe this will help me.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j

it will def help get your chest lower, because you're not so cramed up on the tank. Im pretty tall and trouble tucking cause i thought i was suposed to ride far up on the tank. I learned about the fist size gap technique ^ he was talking about, and now i tuck like dani pedrosa lol. Just street riding i can tell i have a lot more control. If i had known this my last trackday i def would have drug knee lol.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

How do you guys maintain the fist-space? Over the course of a lap I always find myself with my nuts against the tank eventually. I'm about 6'2" and feel like my knees end up in a place on the tank where it's hard to create enough pressure to keep me from sliding forward a big under braking. I've got traction pads, but I still inevitably end up with the boys on the gas tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in