? about suspension and ecu - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

? about suspension and ecu

Ok so I'm at the track yesterday and this dude walks over to check out my bike. He to is riding and r6 wrapped in track plastics and showing some signs of being a dedicated track rig. So this guy starts looking at my bike and asking a few questions, year ,upgrades, future plans, etc etc.
He tells me that the first upgrade I should do is to adjust my front forks by loosening the the top section and sliding the forks down until they are level with the front clamps. I've never heard of such but he then tells me that the ecu limits power in gears 1-3 to only 68%, gear 4 to 80% and 5,6 are the only gears I will get 100% from the engine. He claimed yammi did this to protect the average street rider.
The guy claimed to be a racer and from his talk, he seemed to be pretty competitive. He said he had most of his work done at graves which gave him some creditability as to what he was saying, but it all sounded very strange to me. Is this guy full of ish? He said he tried the Bazzaz uint and it was junk. He told me to pull my ecu and take it to graves to get the fueling limits pulled so that I get 100% power in all gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed
Re: ? about suspension and ecu

His facts are a little off.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 AM
:sheep

something along the lines of the ecu controlling the throttle bodies until like 9000 rpm where the intake finally opens up and lets air into the engine. could that be it?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpower View Post
You have been reported.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsoda View Post
something along the lines of the ecu controlling the throttle bodies until like 9000 rpm where the intake finally opens up and lets air into the engine. could that be it?
Not sure. He was trying to tell me that with the fueling limits in place, it could/would cause choppy throttle through corners. I personally don't let my rmp's drop below 10 grand at any point on the track so I told him I've never had a problem with throttle surge or choppy back and forth action. He said I would get considerable more power from the first three gears from said ecu flashing.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM
:sheep

i'm no expert but it sounds like what he was getting at was the engine braking that could affect you if your ecu was still controlling the throttle, mess up your chassis and stuff entering a corner.. ecu flashing or whatever is supposed to help with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpower View Post
You have been reported.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Ok, so on one of my local forums a couple of r6 guys are saying they were told to do said suspension up grade. The gsxr guys are saying they have done this for years. I haven't heard back from anyone that has actually done it yet so any of you racers on here, have you done this to your bike and what was the result?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
iRun

Lots of guys on 2008 R6 slide their forks down the triples so that the tops are flush with the upper triples.. The 2006 and 2007 have 10mm shorter forks, so there isn't any wiggle-room with them though. Some people hate it, most people like it.

...and I'm not sure what year bike you have, because you never told us.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

An 11 r6. Bone stock except rear-sets and tires.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM
iRun

I think the 2012 went back to shorter forks, so you're still in the same as the 2008 style-- slide the forks down if you want and give it a shot. Like I said, some people LOVE it, some people hate it.

Also, the stock ECU is only limited below a certain RPM-- it's not on a by-gear basis. If that was the case, the only gear dyno-tuners would use is 5th or 6th, and that's not the case.

...and lots of people have Bazzaz units (myself included) and I've never seen anybody that DIDN'T like it.

The dude sounds like a tool, IMO. Knows a little bit, but tries to use that graves "credibility" to make people think he knows everything there is to know.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Eh, can't comment on the dudes knowledge as I'm on newb status. This is my first bike ever and power wise, it's much more than I can handle. The suspension stuff is interesting me though as I'm finally getting enough speed on track that I can feel the loading and unloading. Especially on a bumpy track like willow springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in