Track plastics fender rubbing on something... - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Track plastics fender rubbing on something...

Getting my new-to-me track bike prepped for my first day of the season on March 5th. Had the wheels off to get new rubber mounted. When I roll the bike backwards the damn fender sounds like it's going to explode, but I think it was doing the same thing before I had the wheels off.

The fender doesn't sit anything resembling straight when mounted, but appears to have plenty of clearance around the wheel. There's not any sort of bushings at the mounting points, and the rear mounting holes were zip-tied when I got it.

Anybody got any ideas on how to get this bitch to shut her ****ing mouth when I'm rolling her around the paddock? The whole bike makes a lot of fiberglassy noises - dunno if that's standard fare for track plastics, or if the set the previous owner put on it is just garbage, but the noise from the fender is ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 AM
FNG

Bike: 2003 R6 race bike
Re: Track plastics fender rubbing on something...

No, it shouldn't sound like that. Can you post a picture or something?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Team STG Racing

Bike: 06 R1,08 R6,09 675,10 R6

Did you change tire sizes?

Chris Broome
Sportbike Track Time Southern Division/Speed Academy Instructor
WERA Expert #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
- Bell Helmets - KNOX

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:05 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 R6S, RIP-YZF-600r

If it's the 03 listed in your info, it sounds like you put a 120/70 tire on instead of a 120/60. There are ways to slightly raise the fender, but rocks will still make their way in between there.

You also might want to raise your fork approximately 7-8mm to compensate for the higher profile tire if it's not been done already.

Last edited by LextacySC; 02-22-2012 at 09:02 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Meh

Nah, the track bike is a 2005. Previous owner had a GPA on it and I put Superbike Pro slicks on. All tires were 120/70. It was making noise with the GPA too. Here's some pictures. I can post up some video tonight if that's more useful. It only really makes noise when rolling backwards.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4982.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	73735   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4983.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	73736   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4984.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	73737   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4985.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	73738  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 AM
I hate you Turn 4!

Bike: 09 Orca

looks like the right side (looking at the pic) could be rubbing the disk

Join the XBL Races on MotoGp 14 here

Join the XBL Races on SBKX here

Chat thread here

600 Superbike Series Novice # 277
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk277 View Post
looks like the right side (looking at the pic) could be rubbing the disk
You sir, may be on to something. It looks like the mounting bolts for the disc may be rubbing.

edit: The terrible noise is also cyclical, I'll roll a few feet and it'll pop, roll another few feet, pop, so that makes quite a bit of sense.

Last edited by Fallis; 02-22-2012 at 08:53 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Is the tire hitting the front of the belly pan?

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 AM
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Bike: 2007 R6, 2009 DRZ400SM
Send a message via AIM to JTolles

Gotta look for tire marks. Look on the underside of the fender, front corner of the belly pan.

Sig by Joe

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Is the tire hitting the front of the belly pan?
Nah, I don't think that's the issue. There's like an inch and a half of clearance between the tire and belly pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTolles View Post
Gotta look for tire marks. Look on the underside of the fender, front corner of the belly pan.
No marks on the underside of the fender at all. There's a white spot where all the paint has rubbed off that lines up with the rotor mounting bolts though. On the opposite side, the fender has the corner cut off - I assume due to the same issue. Gonna give the right side the same treatment tonight.

Is it normal for track plastics to fit this shittily or do I just have a crappy brand? In the top-down pic you can see how crooked the fender is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in