T.D. @ Jennings - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 09 R6, 07 R6S, 05 WR250F
T.D. @ Jennings

Well, I'm screwed.

I had my first Track Day at Jennings, and I'm absolutely hooked. I've read all the threads, and talked to people, all warning of the adiction. I knew I would like it but thought I had pretty good will power against adiction. I'm already trying to figure the next date out and really contimplated driving back up there (3.5 hours) this morning to go again. If the wife didn't have shcool/work today, we would've stayed up there last night.

We woke up at the hotel yesterday morning to light rain. By the time we got to the track and unloaded everything, it was raining a bit heavier. I've always thought that a wet track day would be a great learning experience, but really didn't want it on my first one.

By the time we had our novice meeting and got saddled up, it had stopped raining. Our first 4 laps with the control riders were great, got to learn the track. First round was still wet. The track started to dry on the second session and was completely dry in the race line by the 3rd session.

I was a little sketchy at first but got behind a control rider and really started learning the line, gaining confidence and picking up some speed.

By the 4th session I started getting my (left) knee down, and really felt a lot more comfortable on the bike, and the track. Getting the knee down was cool and it really clicked for me when it touched that it is a tool for measuring your lean angle.

I had a few "Oh Shit" moments when I got lazy with my B.P. and started scraping my foot peg feeler in turn 6. It was a valuable learning experience, and switching up my posistioning and hanging off a little more fixed the problem. It's amazing how far you feel like you're off the bike until you actually see pictures.

I was running the fastest in my group (novice) so I'll probably jump to Intermediate next time. Wife clocked me (unofficially) in the mid to low 1.30's on my faster laps.

I learned a lot from this Track Day, and realized how much I still have to learn. Watching the fast Intermediate and the Expert class riders is awesome. It was cool seeing some of the turn in points they were using. I learned a lot about turns 11-13 from standing there watching them fly through.

I look forward to learning a ton more at the track in the future. I'm trying to justify spending the loot to get out there again within the next month and a half. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions about set ups and parts in the near future, so thanks in advance.

Here's a few pics: (first one is by track photog)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC4711.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	73995   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Track Day 040.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	73996   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Track Day 041.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	514.9 KB
ID:	73997   Click image for larger version

Name:	WILL TRACK DAY 103.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	520.8 KB
ID:	73998  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: T.D. @ Jennings

SO SICK!!!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

I went down there in January from all the way up here!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It was SO worth it. I think I would be jonesin way too much otherwise.

Mid to low 30's is hauling ass!

Post some video if you have any. I did 3 days down there, and it was a hell of a time. That's a REAL challenging and ballsy track.
We have a thread from that weekend we have been posting video from. I posted a video at the end of the week of a few good laps I got in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Parts Pimp

If you bend that inside elbow, it will pull you down and into the more aggressive position you are looking for. Dragging knee and hittin low 30's is unreal for a first timer there!!

Same turn, but look at my elbow. That's the secret bro. This way it's only ONE thing to remember and work on vs. OMG my BP needs help, etc.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-

Last edited by ChiefSmokeDawg; 02-27-2012 at 12:13 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Damn man, sounds like you did AMAZING on your first time out. Welcome to the addiction!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
If you bend that inside elbow, it will pull you down and into the more aggressive position you are looking for. Dragging knee and hittin low 30's is unreal for a first timer there!!

Same turn, but look at my elbow. That's the secret bro. This way it's only ONE thing to remember and work on vs. OMG my BP needs help, etc.

Thanks man!

I'll have to see if I have any good videos. Most were pretty blurry (taken with point and shoot camera). A go pro is definitely on my wish list. You have a link to that Jennings thread?

I think that elbow is exactly what I'm looking for. I noticed how low some of the faster riders looked on the bike and was wondering what I was doing differently. Seeing the pics definitely helps out working on B.P.

In adition to getting that elbow down, I definitely need work on my outside leg and foot. I'm staying light on the bars, but I'm not as anchored to the bike as I would like to be. I've found some good videos to help with that.

Last edited by yuengling910; 02-27-2012 at 01:43 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Damn man, sounds like you did AMAZING on your first time out. Welcome to the addiction!
Thanks! It was definitely an amazing time. Now I can't stop thinking about getting out there again.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuengling910 View Post
Thanks man!

I think that elbow is exactly what I'm looking for. I noticed how low some of the faster riders looked on the bike and was wondering what I was doing differently. Seeing the pics definitely helps out working on B.P.

In adition to getting that elbow down, I definitely need work on my outside leg foot. I'm staying light on the bars, but I'm not as anchored to the bike as I would like to be. I've found some good videos to help with that.
I find it really really helps me to poiunt my outside toe down. This forces the outside leg into the tank. This can be the difference from getting kicked off the bike and not getting your salad tossed when the rear grabs after a slide.

I've had my feet knocked off the pegs a few times.

In that very turn your pic is from, I had a near highside as Bryan J was entering the complex. He saw it from his truck.
But my leg didn't get knocked off this time around!

Seriously tho, the riding position on that bike isn't as aggressive. You'll work harder than I will to get this BP sorted 100%. Bend the elbow for sure. Get your wife to take pics and compare each session. Get some video up if you have it. It will help work on lines and shift point, etc.

Here's the thread from when we went. I posted that video and I need help on my lines still, but I managed to get going pretty good by the last day there. After being there you can really see in the video what is going on. Having never been there, the videos were of little help until I rode there. LOL

Keep up the solid work bro. You're gonna be SLAYIN it this season!!
: And keep that super positive attitude. Coaches recognize that and you will get much more help when you're very willing to learn like that. AWESOME first track day man. Seriously

-
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Forum Moderator

Bike: '03 Sliver R1'06 Raven R6

Looks like you had a great time. Yes, it's very addictive for sure. The R1 and R6 Forum will have the track rented out the first weekend in April. Your welcome to come join us.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:10 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

glad ya liked riding at JGP, it is an addiction for sure. One thing most street riders have issues with (myself included long ago) is what to do what your feet on the pegs. Riding on the balls of your feet all day is NOT the best way in my opinion. Ya need to move the inside foot back to not drag your toes, but the outside peg should be in the middle of your foot with toes out a tad. Otherwise, unless you have a double jointed knee, it's gonna be tough to scoot your butt to the side, AND you won't be using the larger thigh muscles to weight the outside peg .. trying to stay on the balls of your feet all day is difficult with calf muscles and ya can't use your rear brake (not that you have to right now) but you need to have feet forward to shift right? so get in the habbit on your street rides of moving your feet forward and back as you get ready to dip into a corner. THis way it's natural when your on track.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
I find it really really helps me to poiunt my outside toe down. This forces the outside leg into the tank. This can be the difference from getting kicked off the bike and not getting your salad tossed when the rear grabs after a slide.

I've had my feet knocked off the pegs a few times.

In that very turn your pic is from, I had a near highside as Bryan J was entering the complex. He saw it from his truck.
But my leg didn't get knocked off this time around!

Seriously tho, the riding position on that bike isn't as aggressive. You'll work harder than I will to get this BP sorted 100%. Bend the elbow for sure. Get your wife to take pics and compare each session. Get some video up if you have it. It will help work on lines and shift point, etc.

Here's the thread from when we went. I posted that video and I need help on my lines still, but I managed to get going pretty good by the last day there. After being there you can really see in the video what is going on. Having never been there, the videos were of little help until I rode there. LOL

Keep up the solid work bro. You're gonna be SLAYIN it this season!!
: And keep that super positive attitude. Coaches recognize that and you will get much more help when you're very willing to learn like that. AWESOME first track day man. Seriously
Damn man, glad to hear you held on to it through turn 11.

It looks like you guys had a great time at Jennings in Jan. You were laying down some killer laps!

About the bike. I know the R6S isn't as aggressive as the R6, so I'll definitely need to work on my BP more. I've been thinking (for a while) about adjustable rearsets, to get my feet up more, and knees into the tank more. You think these might help at all? I really started thinking about them when I kept hitting that peg feeler in turns 6 and 8. I know that I was being lazy with my BP when it happened, but the pegs are pretty low as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
Looks like you had a great time. Yes, it's very addictive for sure. The R1 and R6 Forum will have the track rented out the first weekend in April. Your welcome to come join us.
I'll let you know asap. I have to get the ok from the wife, and get time off work (working weekends blows). I really want to get out there with some of you more experienced riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
glad ya liked riding at JGP, it is an addiction for sure. One thing most street riders have issues with (myself included long ago) is what to do what your feet on the pegs. Riding on the balls of your feet all day is NOT the best way in my opinion. Ya need to move the inside foot back to not drag your toes, but the outside peg should be in the middle of your foot with toes out a tad. Otherwise, unless you have a double jointed knee, it's gonna be tough to scoot your butt to the side, AND you won't be using the larger thigh muscles to weight the outside peg .. trying to stay on the balls of your feet all day is difficult with calf muscles and ya can't use your rear brake (not that you have to right now) but you need to have feet forward to shift right? so get in the habbit on your street rides of moving your feet forward and back as you get ready to dip into a corner. THis way it's natural when your on track.
I hear ya about the feet. I've always tried to stay on the balls of my feet, but realized that to hang off, you have to alter that a little. I try to hook the area in front of the heel on my outside leg, to get a little more stability. I'm having trouble getting really good foot position though, because I've got so much to think about. I'm going to try riding a bit, really concentrating on getting that elbow down and thinking about foot position so it becomes more natural.

Thanks for all the advice fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in