Suspension set up for TRACK DAYS - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: Blue 09' R6, 03' R6 track
Suspension set up for TRACK DAYS

Hey all,

Just a question about setting up suspension for track days, so im going to set up my suspension on my 09' R6 for street riding as its still set from the stealership. Will i be alright to run track days on street set up, i ask this because this is also what i use as my transportation when its riding season and home from work, I dont really want to change my suspension every time i get on and off the track. I stress that this is just for track days only and will not be a race bike.

Any info on this would be great.

Ride until the thrill of speed outweighs the fear of death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
My R6 eats you.

Bike: 2010 Yamaha M1
Re: Suspension set up for TRACK DAYS

Yes

NESBA A | CCS #686
///If you ride like lightning, you’re gonna crash like thunder.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Alright i figured if i set it up good for the street that going to a few track days won't cause problems with handling.

I should also be fine on my stock Dunflops as i have only had them on for a few months, i will probably need new tires at the end of this up coming season though.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:56 AM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

That depends on your definition of "OK".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
I never adjust for the street. I ride the same setup as I do on the track. It's too much rebound and compression, but it reminds me where the bike belongs.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And I'll let Steve explain how he got his avatar pic for u...

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-

Last edited by ChiefSmokeDawg; 02-28-2012 at 10:04 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
That depends on your definition of "OK".
I never asked if it was "OK" however i did ask if it was "ALRIGHT".

That being said, will i be "OK" as i have never been on the track.

I dont think ill be knee dragging on the track just yet and will have to run with the "new" group as i have yet to run track.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
I never adjust for the street. I ride the same setup as I do on the track. It's too much rebound and compression, but it reminds me where the bike belongs.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And I'll let Steve explain how he got his avatar pic for u...
As i only have 1 track within any reasonable driving distance my time on the track will be limited, so this is the reason i want to know if it will work. i understand that its better to set up for track, and if i was to get into track i would build a track bike so it can be tuned to run track and street stay street.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 09 R6, 07 R6S, 05 WR250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftInRed View Post
As i only have 1 track within any reasonable driving distance my time on the track will be limited, so this is the reason i want to know if it will work. i understand that its better to set up for track, and if i was to get into track i would build a track bike so it can be tuned to run track and street stay street.
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the suspension as much as the tires. Those stock dunlops are junk. I lowsided when I still had them on, and while they are not the only reason I crashed, they were definitely a pretty big factor. They may work fine for your first track day, but if it were me, I'd drop the loot on new tires for peace of mind.

P.S. You can get a set of Q2's shipped to your door for a little over $200.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

I got my suspension setup for the track and ride it just fine on the street (in fact it feels better now even on the streets). Setting up the suspension during a trackday to your liking will give you supreme confidence in the bike, and that'll carry over to the street as well.

Stock dunlops are just fine imho, you just need to give them time to warm up. I got ~7 trackdays, beginner and mid intermediate levels with 4.5k street miles to go along with that on my stock Dunlop sportmax tires
(no crashes on them). Warm them up before trying to go fast.

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:00 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6rammy View Post
I got my suspension setup for the track and ride it just fine on the street (in fact it feels better now even on the streets). Setting up the suspension during a trackday to your liking will give you supreme confidence in the bike, and that'll carry over to the street as well.

Stock dunlops are just fine imho, you just need to give them time to warm up. I got ~7 trackdays, beginner and mid intermediate levels with 4.5k street miles to go along with that on my stock Dunlop sportmax tires
(no crashes on them). Warm them up before trying to go fast.
^this

I run a track tuned suspension on both of my bikes and like it much better than a non tuned suspension.

I also ran the stock Qualifiers when I went to the Pridmore Star School last August and had no problems (it was 106 degrees on the track, that helps some). Check your pressures, I'd run somewhere around 30 psi then just give them a lap or two of hard acceleration and deceleration on the straights to get them nice and warm. Stay smooth and you shouldn't have any problems with them.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in