Looking for my first track day!!! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2009 r6
Looking for my first track day!!!

I finally have all my gear and some good experience on the street. And ready for my first track day, should I invest in some track plastic just for track days? Where is my closest soonest track day? I live an hour south of st.louis. I have been researching just can't really find anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI
Re: Looking for my first track day!!!

I think you'll be fine without track plastics. Just ride safe and enjoy your first track day. If there is a suspension vendor at your track day, I definitely definitely recommend getting your suspension tuned. One of the best mods you can do to your bike for stupid cheap
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

For trackdays, I would suggest finding a local forum and getting more info there from club racers etc.

As for track fairings, I say get a few trackdays under your belt first (riding at your pace and not over your head), then spending on suspension, then when you get faster, the track fairings.

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

I use to race motocross and so suspension is the first thing I have noticed, adjustments and situations are completely different and it's something I'm trying to learn now, I want to pick up racing soon, Its something I've always wanted to do, I'm a motorcycle mechanic, motocross tuning is almost natural to me but sportbikes is something I have yet to learn and experience. I'm just trying to pick up some pointers.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM
My R6 eats you.

Bike: 2010 Yamaha M1

Google/youtube Dave Moss, you'll learn a lot about suspension.

NESBA A | CCS #686
///If you ride like lightning, you’re gonna crash like thunder.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm new to sportbike suspension, how good is the stock valving? Does anybody change it?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6sps283 View Post
I'm new to sportbike suspension, how good is the stock valving? Does anybody change it?
you would not notice the difference between a well tunes stock suspension and an aftermarket one till you get to atleast high intermediate to advanced levels speeds in a trackday. Depending on your weight, stock suspension would serve okay (170-200lbs rider weight w/o gear).

what i meant to say was, the difference is more noticeable with hgher loads on the suspension...faster speeds = higher braking force, more load on the front; fast corner exits = more load on the rear shock

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

What tracks are closest to stl? I have been looking but can't really find any solid dates, I want a track day soon willing to drive
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

My bike handles well with aggressive street riding on new roads, any imperfections and its all over the place.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2010 r6
Quote:
Originally Posted by R6sps283 View Post
What tracks are closest to stl? I have been looking but can't really find any solid dates, I want a track day soon willing to drive
Alot of guys around me go to hallet alot they seem to love it.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

fender eliminater
Double bubble dark smoke windscreen
woodcraft Frame sliders
krypton bulbs 10k hids
hot bodies flush mounts tinted blue
headlights tinted blue
Motodynamics taillight tinted blue
M4 slip on
Custom painted wheels to match bike
Pcv
05 header mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in