Close call yesterday - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R1
Close call yesterday

Ive been riding for about 10 months now. I currently go out to the country where they have pretty smooth turnpike like turns and very little cars. I've noticed in the passed few months I have began to feel more confortable leaning the bike. While in a midturn lean I manage to go over a bump. I can only guess as I try to decribe the rear wheel getting air, the bike going upright, and I am going towards the shoulder. I managed to not panic and save it at last minute. Is there any reccomeondations someone would make in terms of identifying bumps on roads? or how to handle situations like this better? I was not using excessive speed but still would like to understand situations such as this and try to better learn from them.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2003 R6
Re: Close call yesterday

you did the best thing you could do in that situation as it came up yesterday and didn't panic.

as for the recognizing it the best thing you can do is just learn the road if you are on it frequently and memorize. Sometimes a bump will look the same as a flat spot and sneak up on you.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 AM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

Make sure your suspension is setup properly for you. The best thing that can be done is to have it tuned so your tires maintain good contact.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
Make sure your suspension is setup properly for you. The best thing that can be done is to have it tuned so your tires maintain good contact.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What happened OP? Did the bike kick up on you? check into how rebound should be checked and set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What happened OP? Did the bike kick up on you? check into how rebound should be checked and set.
Yea Anthony, it kicked up and scared the piss out of me. Ruined my entire country ride- I didnt want to lean on the turns after that. Mental concentration disrupted

I am going to bring the bike in to have the rebound checked and suspension adjusted. The bike was lowered by a friend of mine about 1 1/2 inch.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by image0r View Post
Yea Anthony, it kicked up and scared the piss out of me. Ruined my entire country ride- I didnt want to lean on the turns after that. Mental concentration disrupted

I am going to bring the bike in to have the rebound checked and suspension adjusted. The bike was lowered by a friend of mine about 1 1/2 inch.
Big problemo..
Raise it back up.

This thread should be an example of why people shouldn't lower. Or od they do lower that it needs to be done properly
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Custom User Title

Bike: 2001 Triumph Tiger 955i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief916 View Post
you did the best thing you could do in that situation as it came up yesterday and didn't panic.

as for the recognizing it the best thing you can do is just learn the road if you are on it frequently and memorize. Sometimes a bump will look the same as a flat spot and sneak up on you.

If you havn't read it yet, read Twist of the Wrist II

Besides that, the best thing to do like said above, familiarize yourself with the roads you're riding and don't panic if you find yourself in a "situation"

My suggestions to keep in mind if you wind up in a "situation" is always keep a steady throttle if you hit a bump or think you are about to hit one. And look where you want to go. And sometimes it's good to accelerate and lean more to get around corners you're going wide on. But take all that with a grain of salt, no "situation" is the same. Being prepared for situations and not panicking are the 2 biggest reasons for not ending up on your backside in a bad situations.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Pause..Clarify..Dominate

Bike: 03 R6

lowering your bike (unless someone F'ed it up) isn't going to dangerously effect your suspension ESPECIALLY street riding. Anyone that argues is admitting to letting Tebow pee in their butt

the only thing you can do when a bump surprises you is
1.) realize whats happening
2.) hold on
3.) don't over correct

"RIDICULOUSLY LARGE IMAGES"
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Custom User Title

Bike: 2001 Triumph Tiger 955i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhugger View Post
lowering your bike (unless someone F'ed it up) isn't going to dangerously effect your suspension ESPECIALLY street riding. Anyone that argues is admitting to letting Tebow pee in their butt

But seriously though, a lowered bike does NOT handle as well. Cornering is greatly affected. I had a lowered R6 and when I raised it back up to stock height it was night and day difference. Turning was lazy but at stock height it was razor sharp. Like tip in and it went down and didn't have to fight it to get it laid over and stay there.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM
To Infinity.. and BEYOND!

Bike: 2010 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katalystxxl18 View Post

But seriously though, a lowered bike does NOT handle as well. Cornering is greatly affected. I had a lowered R6 and when I raised it back up to stock height it was night and day difference. Turning was lazy but at stock height it was razor sharp. Like tip in and it went down and didn't have to fight it to get it laid over and stay there.
Agreed... I had mine lowered an inch and just had it raised back up to stock a couple weeks ago, the bike just wanted to go straight.. After I got it raised & suspension adjusted, it was a completely diff. bike.. Handles beautifully now, even though I'm having tad bit trouble reaching cuz Im short, but its not bad where I lose balance. Def. Listen to these guys, they know what theyre talking about. But good job handling the situation!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in