Socal Track Questions - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2012 Yamaha Blue R6
Socal Track Questions

I know these are questions that I could just call the local track for but im going to ask them anyways just so I can be prepaired for when I do go.

I live in Oceanside Ca and have always wanted to go to the track. I have been riding for four years now and really want the experience of a track where I can use my bike for what it was made for.

What kind of riding gear do I need?

What do I need to do to my bike to prep for the track?

What kind of costs are involved i.e. insurance entry fee's, and track time.

Thank you in advance. Gotta be able to justify it with the wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI
Re: Socal Track Questions

For the most part, most track day schools "SHOULD" be the same.

Down here in Texas, you need helmet, suit (1pc or 2pc), boots, and over the wrist gloves.

For the bike, you need to tape up your head lights, brake lights, turn signals and basically any piece of glass on your bike. You can tape up your mirror or remove them, removing them is easier, imo.

Costs are usually just a one time fee for that day but I know some track day schools charge a membership fee of some sort. Not to mention you have to account for extra costs such as drinks, snacks, gas, track day supplies, etc.

Hope this helps
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

^ Pretty much nailed it.

Track day fees can range from $125 - $250 depending on the track and the organization. They're usually around $150 though. Some tracks (Willow, Chuckwalla) will also have an additional entrance fee of around $10.

SoCal Trackdays requires you to safety wire your drain plug - but they run open days (no groups) and are not suitable for doing your first track day.

Beyond what babymilo36 said, you'll need to make sure your tires and brake pads are in good shape and you're not leaking any fluids.

Back protector is highly recommended, but not required.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
^ Pretty much nailed it.

Track day fees can range from $125 - $250 depending on the track and the organization. They're usually around $150 though. Some tracks (Willow, Chuckwalla) will also have an additional entrance fee of around $10.

SoCal Trackdays requires you to safety wire your drain plug - but they run open days (no groups) and are not suitable for doing your first track day.

Beyond what babymilo36 said, you'll need to make sure your tires and brake pads are in good shape and you're not leaking any fluids.

Back protector is highly recommended, but not required.
Yep, thanks for the add-on. Good point on the back protector as well. I run one but forgot to mention it.

Before the track day starts, your bike will be inspected so that's the reason why Fallis said to check your tires, brakes, oil leaks. Also check your chain and if your throttle snaps back right away or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Its a brand new bike so im pretty sure leaks are not an issue. As for riding gear is that full leathers i was just looking around and riding suits are expensive. The costs seem fairly reasonable deffinately feel like it will be worth the money and time. Kinda nervous about going up there and being the only new guy. I know this maybe a dumb question is there any kind of track etiquett. Im a horrible speller.

Thanks for the quick responses.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Meh

Yup - you need full leathers. Either a 1 piece or 2 piece suit. If it's 2 piece, the zipper between the pants and jacket needs to go all the way around. If you're on a budget, deals can be found. You don't need to spend $1500 on a suit. If you happen to be size 42, I've got a 2-piece I need to get rid of that I keep forgetting to put in the for-sale section.

You won't be the only new guy there. There's always a bunch of first-timers at any track day. Just about every track day organization has some form of a new rider school, where they'll walk you through all the procedural stuff and help get you comfortable on the track. There's rules for how you get on and off the track, what to do if someone crashes, how to pass safely, etc. It's all pretty simple though, and there's really not much to learn / remember. There's really nothing to be nervous about - once you show up you'll realize everyone will be more than happy to help you out in whatever way possible.

We've got plenty of SoCal track addicts on here, so it ought to be pretty easy to find someone to pit with that can help you out - myself included.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post up when you get signed up for your first day.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Yup - you need full leathers. Either a 1 piece or 2 piece suit. If it's 2 piece, the zipper between the pants and jacket needs to go all the way around. If you're on a budget, deals can be found. You don't need to spend $1500 on a suit. If you happen to be size 42, I've got a 2-piece I need to get rid of that I keep forgetting to put in the for-sale section.

You won't be the only new guy there. There's always a bunch of first-timers at any track day. Just about every track day organization has some form of a new rider school, where they'll walk you through all the procedural stuff and help get you comfortable on the track. There's rules for how you get on and off the track, what to do if someone crashes, how to pass safely, etc. It's all pretty simple though, and there's really not much to learn / remember. There's really nothing to be nervous about - once you show up you'll realize everyone will be more than happy to help you out in whatever way possible.

We've got plenty of SoCal track addicts on here, so it ought to be pretty easy to find someone to pit with that can help you out - myself included.
Post up when you get signed up for your first day.
Right, contact our site sponsors for deals on suits. Down here, first time riders get free suit rental so you can look into it if they have a similar deal.

Don't worry about being the "new guy". Just ride humble and safe and you'll be just fine. You're out there to have fun, especially on your first track day, so don't worry about being a hazard to others. It's only when you try to drag knee and break track records that you tend to be a hazard to others.

When you finalize your first track day, let us know and I'm sure a bunch of us (excluding me since I'm far away
) will be happy to meet you, just as Fallis said.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Wow awsome I will deff post as soon as I can. Im in Yuma for 3 to 4 more weeks then it will probably be July or Aug before I can go but my goal is to get at least one or two track days in this summer. Just depends on the new job im moving to in june.

I think my first time I will rent a suit.

Do yall have any good links to register track days. I found Track Daz website and read everything I could but they are broken into classes which I was kind of confused about. Is A the begginers class.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller'sR6 View Post
Wow awsome I will deff post as soon as I can. Im in Yuma for 3 to 4 more weeks then it will probably be July or Aug before I can go but my goal is to get at least one or two track days in this summer. Just depends on the new job im moving to in june.

Do yall have any good links to register track days. I found Track Daz website and read everything I could but they are broken into classes which I was kind of confused about. Is A the begginers class.
Fallis or any other Cali riders will have to chime in for which school to ride with. I'll ask DTcrew4 to chime in too since he goes to a lot of track days.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller'sR6 View Post

(They focus on beginners, and do events all over the place, so there's very few SoCal dates for them)

(Only do open days, no groups, not recommended for your first outing)

I think that's all the SoCal track day orgs.

I think everyone except Fastrack does A/B/C groups, where A is expert, B is intermediate, and C is beginner. Fastrack does 1 / 2 / 3, where 1 is beginner. Fastrack has a really extensive beginner school, but they're a lot more expensive because it's at Fontana. Which ever group you sign up with, you should do the new rider school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in