Sprocket questions - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Sprocket questions

So i have a 2006 R6 thats a dedicated track bike. I'm not really looking to dump tons of money into it in terms of horespower upgrades and such, so I was thinking about tweeking the sprockets a little. I know some guys say that a huge boost in acceleration can be gotten from doing the 520 conversion and a -1/+2. I heard it gets a bit punchy with that much of a change however. So heres my question..... Theres some inexpensive oem sprockets ( oem 525 pitch ) out there that i can expreiment with without going the full route of a 520 conversion. Would i get a little more pep out of the corners without changing it too much if I go with.....

1) Just a +1 on the rear ?

2) Just a +2 on the rear ?

3) Just a -1 up front?

Thoughts???

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM
I named my dog Rossi.

Bike: 05 R6
Re: Sprocket questions

I did 520 -1 Front and I think it's a great compromise. You don't lose much on the freeway, but the acceleration gain is noticeable.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 R6

Just ran my first day on -1/+1. It makes a big difference in punch.

I was getting a fair amount of rear slides until I adjusted how I was cracking on the throttle. With the stock gearing I could be hamfisted in a lot of spots and not have trouble.

Before around 135 the bike really struggled to keep pulling and felt soggy, now it punches up to 140 and will pull in 6th, which I never needed in the past.

I'd say -1 on the front. That puts the top end about 160 which is closer to reality than the 170 it is geared for stock.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Pause..Clarify..Dominate

Bike: 03 R6

the problem with going up in the rear is that you add rotational mass (weight) the problem with going too small in the front is increased chain drag as well as chain is more likely to bind around a smaller sprocket. I've heard several stunter buddies run -2 in the front on 2nd gens with a 532 chain so I would imagine you could run the same set up on a 520 chain as long as it's a quality, well lubed chain. The idea is getting the lower gearing without adding the weight of the rear sprocket. However if you go aluminum in the rear weight is going to be minimal. I personally run -1/+1 & -1/+2 depending on the situation and I find the -1/+1 combo more street friendly but the -1/+2 is more fun on the back roads, especially when the other guys running 600cc bikes are wondering why they can't keep up.

"RIDICULOUSLY LARGE IMAGES"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

-1/+1 is what's on my track bike. not a bad compromise.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2003 Track SV650, 05 R6

I've got just a +2 on the rear (previous owner did it) but I do like the gain in acceleration compared to the stock gear I test drove one time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Voices Its these voices..

Bike: 08 R6 / 09 R6

For playing around on the cheap, -1 in the front might allow you to keep the same chain. If you went bigger in the rear, depending on the chain length and slack, it might be too tight. Also front sprockets are cheap.

Really changing sprockets for the track is so you have the right gearing to stay in the right power band. So for a small tight track, I might have 15f/46r. Or a long track I might use close to the stock setup. If I'm hitting the rev limiter in 3rd on a short straight, but grabbing a quick 4th then and back down is actually going to cost me time.... I might try 1 tooth down in the back. Then again, that might throw off my drive somewhere else on the track. You just have to find what makes you faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in