Power pures at track - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
GET OVER IT

Bike: '08 R6
Power pures at track

Any suggestions as to what pressure hot and cold I should be running power pures at? At the track with no tire warmers.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Motorcycle.com App

~ R6BLONDIE ~
That Yamaha...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: Power pures at track

They are ma favorite tires. 29/26 cold. Maybe 28/26 if you're fast and it gets hot out, like around 2 pm tomorrow it will be 70+.

We can start you at 29/26 or maybe 30/27 and work from there based on your feedback. But 28/26 is my ideal setup, but until the front gets hot, it's a little heavy on the steering input, but it's also a sweet indicator of when the front tire is heating up because steering gets much quicker.

You want the lowest pressure possible with still having good control initially. The lower the pressure, the faster the tires warm up and the hotter they get overall.

I have a real good tire pressure gauge and we can sort this out by setting it initally and then checking em RIGHT when you get off the track and adjusting based on feedback from you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-

Last edited by ChiefSmokeDawg; 04-13-2012 at 06:39 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 AM
candy red

Bike: 07 r6s
Send a message via MSN to lopez95632

R6blondie huh..... Wait for it....

must read for new members

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
They are ma favorite tires. 29/26 cold. Maybe 28/26 if you're fast and it gets hot out, like around 2 pm tomorrow it will be 70+.

We can start you at 29/26 or maybe 30/27 and work from there based on your feedback. But 28/26 is my ideal setup, but until the front gets hot, it's a little heavy on the steering input, but it's also a sweet indicator of when the front tire is heating up because steering gets much quicker.

You want the lowest pressure possible with still having good control initially. The lower the pressure, the faster the tires warm up and the hotter they get overall.

I have a real good tire pressure gauge and we can sort this out by setting it initally and then checking em RIGHT when you get off the track and adjusting based on feedback from you.
Don't you want to run higher pressures if it's hot, so you don't overheat the tire? Tires continue to make my head hurt.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

in mine remember we started the day at 29\30 then went the 29\26 then last session i went out 28\26 and those bicthes felt perfect

sig by milko

my build thread-

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Don't you want to run higher pressures if it's hot, so you don't overheat the tire? Tires continue to make my head hurt.
That will effect the rate it heats at, but of she goes out and Runs at say 10 AM, it's gonna 55 out. That tire will go from 26 to 28.5 psi or so. Then the next thing u kno, it's 2 pm an the track surface is about 30 degrees hotter. She's gonna come in and say the tire spun on her or that the bumps in the chicane are tossing the rear around. I'll check the psi and it'll be at almost 31 and we will have to let a pound or two out.

Check each time u get off the track for the pressure and you will have been letting a little out here and there all day as you get faster or the track gets hotter.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Derp

Bike: 2007 R6

Making the switch to these this year...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for later viewing.

STT SOUTHERN DIVISION STAFF

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Is this a segment?

Bike: Vengesicle

I definitely agree that the Pures like to run lower pressure - the tires are as light as they are because they're thin (3 plies opposed to typical 5-6)- as a result they can expand quite a bit with higher temps. I started running like 30/29 with them and as soon as we got some warmth I was sliding all over with the rear. I ended up finding ~28/26 to work very well... and we're talking 100+ degrees outside.

Rest in Peace - Jason "Snocompton" Jones 2/23/87 - 11/4/11
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Parts Pimp

The tires are gonna get hot no matter what. They are a street tire. The main objective is to find the right tire pressure that performs the best and maintain it.

If the tires overheat and get greasy on you, you need Different tires. Cause when you run into that scenario, adding more pressure is gonna further degrade the traction of the tire and it'll have less contact patch and just float on u

-
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaking20 View Post
I definitely agree that the Pures like to run lower pressure - the tires are as light as they are because they're thin (3 plies opposed to typical 5-6)- as a result they can expand quite a bit with higher temps. I started running like 30/29 with them and as soon as we got some warmth I was sliding all over with the rear. I ended up finding ~28/26 to work very well... and we're talking 100+ degrees outside.
Exactly.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in