A few vids from weekend at Jennings - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 09 R6, 07 R6S, 05 WR250F
A few vids from weekend at Jennings

TL;DR: Went to forum track weekend. Started a little rusty. Worked with CR. Improved a lot. Hooked on track. Watch vids. Comment.

I went to the R1/R6 forum Memorial Jennings Track Weekend this past weekend and had a great time. Thanks again to everyone who orgainized this, and to all the CR's and all the people posting up pics!

This was my 2nd and 3rd time on the track (Jennings all 3) and I'm hooked even worse than I was after the 1st time.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm trying to scrounge the funds to get back up there in the next month.

Here are two videos from the end of the second day (Sunday). These were from the last two sessions of the day. I really never got very comfortable on Saturday, I played around with the suspension (thanks Steve) and changed the rear tire, but just couldn't get really relaxed and in my groove. I couldn't figure out what was going on, but figured some beer/sleep might help.

I felt better on Sunday morning. I was still in novice, which I couldn't understand because I was faster than everybody that was left in the class (some left Sat. and some got bumped). I kept riding novice until lunch and felt looser and more focused than I had on Sat. I decided to talk to one of the CR's at lunch and see if he could shadow me to see if I was ready to be bumped to Intermediate.

To all newer track riders: Talk to your CR's. I wish I had started working with the CR's on Saturday because it would've made the weekend even better.

I talked to "Doc" after he shadowed me for a session and he told me my lines weren't great and my BP sucked.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
He told me that I was barely off the bike at all and told me to follow him for a few laps and use his line. I told him I felt like I was way off the bike, and he assured me I was wrong. He did say that I was running well enough to try Intermediate though.

We went back out in I group and I worked on my BP some more and really concentrated on the lines he showed me. It felt much better. He said that I still wasn't off the bike enough so try to hang off even more next session.

The next session (last of the weekend, unfortunately) was awesome. I really exaggerated my BP and I felt much more solid, smoother and safer. I'm waiting on pics which should arrive this weekend to compare my BP from sat to sun.

On the end of Sunday I was running consistent 1.32's to 1.34's. Personal best was a 1.32.0. I'm pretty happy with my times but even happier with my improvement on my lines and BP. I can't fcking wait to get back. My goal next time is to get into the 1.30.xx range. It should be doable by sacking up and taking turns 3-5 hotter, and carrying more speed on turn in to 13. I also was amazed after watching the videos, how much more track I could be using.

Here are the vids, first is when I still wasn't off the bike enough. Second is with camera facing backwards (wish I had kept it the other way). I'll post pics once I get the ones from Sunday.

Let me know all the things I'm doing wrong. I'm determined to get consistently into the 1.30.xx's before I do anything else to the bike (go fast parts, gears, stickier tires, etc).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 R6 Race
Re: A few vids from weekend at Jennings

Very nice video! That track looks like so much fun, especially the chicane where you ended up downshifting 3 times.

Don't be afraid of those rumble strips man, you can hang your knee off of them!

-Jes CRA #426E
Bell Helmets, AXO, Leatt, Dunlop
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 08 R6

Nice vids. Tried to upload mine on youtube before I left, on my dad's laptop, but they ended up being too long and removed from youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuengling910 View Post
Here are the vids, first is when I still wasn't off the bike enough. Second is with camera facing backwards (wish I had kept it the other way). I'll post pics once I get the ones from Sunday.
That was my fault, sorry I made you change the view as I didn't even get to really follow you from the start of the session.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

looks good for your 3rd time out. You go into 2 with good speed... just continue to carry it to the outside of the track instead of cutting it short. That sets you up for 3 out wide by the brake markers. Tip in around the 1... downshift to 2nd by the time you get to 5 and get back on the gas for 6. Apex 11 the same but more gas all through 12 til the brake markers. Also set up for 1 much closer to the brake markers.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by drago010 View Post
Nice vids. Tried to upload mine on youtube before I left, on my dad's laptop, but they ended up being too long and removed from youtube.

That was my fault, sorry I made you change the view as I didn't even get to really follow you from the start of the session.
Hey man. Not your fault the camera was turned around. I still haven't taken that extra mount of the tail

I had to download a video editing program to shorten the vids total youtube length. I got it for free from download.com. Did your videos come out ok?

Have you seen any of the pics netjester put up on the r1 forum? Some pretty good shots in there. Hopefully fotogurl will have the rest up this weekend.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com App
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwizard View Post
Very nice video! That track looks like so much fun, especially the chicane where you ended up downshifting 3 times.

Don't be afraid of those rumble strips man, you can hang your knee off of them!
Jennings is the only track I've been to but I love it. Eventually I'll head elsewhere but for now I think it's a great place to improve my riding.

Yea I realized how much track I had left after watching the videos. Will definitely try to let myself run a little wider in some turns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
looks good for your 3rd time out. You go into 2 with good speed... just continue to carry it to the outside of the track instead of cutting it short. That sets you up for 3 out wide by the brake markers. Tip in around the 1... downshift to 2nd by the time you get to 5 and get back on the gas for 6. Apex 11 the same but more gas all through 12 til the brake markers. Also set up for 1 much closer to the brake markers.
Thanks for the advice. I've started writing things down in a notebook to take with me next time. I'll add these to the list. I feel that 3-6 is definitely an area I really need to improve a lot.

Turn seems like you can run it so much faster than you think. You just have to commit to a good turn in point and hit the first apex right so you don't run wide. Ill try moving further over and see what happens.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

When you go into 3... you should be way north of 120mph. Simply chopping the throttle at the "3" brakemarker will scrub 20mph pretty quick. Fast guys are simultaneously downshifting and headed for the meatball in 5 in almost a straight line. Turn 4 is a non issue.
You'll know you are on the gas soon enough when you exit 6 on the right side of the track. If youre on the left side... youre going too slow.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:40 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuengling910 View Post
I had to download a video editing program to shorten the vids total youtube length. I got it for free from download.com. Did your videos come out ok?

Have you seen any of the pics netjester put up on the r1 forum? Some pretty good shots in there. Hopefully fotogurl will have the rest up this weekend.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com App
Haven't even seen my videos. My dads old laptop doesn't even recognize the file type so I couldn't open the videos. Tried to get them uploaded to youtube before my flight, but that didn't work out either.

I saw some pics from Netjester which were nice. Need to check back to see if he added any more.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 05:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Nice vids...thanks for sharing
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Sherman Connoisseur

Bike: Two dirty dirty bikes

Nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I <3 PASSION MOTORSPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Ive taken bigger shits than Ricky, but he has personality, so that should count for something......right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
I see my balls are in high demand in terms of cupping
RIP Jason (Snocompton). We will miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in