what group for next track day??? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
My R6 ate me

Bike: 2000 R6 TRACK ONLY
what group for next track day???

Iv been on the track 2 times now and im considering intermidate the next time out but im not sure if its the right thing to do...both times i was one of the faster riders this last time a barber i found my self waiting on slower trapffic 75 percent of the time. How do i know when its time to move up. Do i need more time learning with slower people. Or do i step it up with fast riders and learn there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 11:31 PM
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Bike: 2007 R6, 2009 DRZ400SM
Send a message via AIM to JTolles
Re: what group for next track day???

Sign up for beginner, ask an instructor/CR to follow you and see if you're ready. Moving up isn't all about speed. Level 1 (beginner/novice) is for people who don't know the lines and are unpredictable. Moving up to a more advanced group means you have to be more predictable than those in the group below you. Same applies for advanced/expert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sig by Joe

Last edited by JTolles; 04-16-2012 at 11:33 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 AM
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 09 R6, 07 R6S, 05 WR250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTolles View Post
Sign up for beginner, ask an instructor/CR to follow you and see if you're ready. Moving up isn't all about speed. Level 1 (beginner/novice) is for people who don't know the lines and are unpredictable. Moving up to a more advanced group means you have to be more predictable than those in the group below you. Same applies for advanced/expert

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get and work with the CR's.

When you see people in Intermediate that should be in beginner, you'll start to see problems. There was a guy on my first TD that chose to bump down to Novice from Intermediate because he said there were too many inexperienced people out there and he didn't feel safe. He was pretty fast too.

As far as learning, get with the CR's. Learn your lines! You can bring your speed up, and alter your BP, but learning the fastest and safest way around the track is very important.

What track you running?

Last edited by yuengling910; 04-17-2012 at 04:15 AM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 AM
I eat my R6

Intermediate is a shit show.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post
it really is... people start worrying about going fast more than they worry about clean/tight lines and smooth throttle control. it's actually the most dangerous level there is.

OP... start back in beginner, and get one of the control riders or instructors to follow you and make the call on whether you should bump up or not.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:24 AM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:

that is so true, I was set up next to a guy in the paddock, with slicks on his bike, and I assumed he was going to be fast, but after viewing my trackday video I saw that I had passed him like he was standing still on my way to T5 at Barber and by T6 he was nowhere in sight ,(rear view camera mount), so yeah, I group can be for the novice that think there are faster then they really are.

It would be best to stay in novice, but try go out ahead of the pack, and most likely you won't run into much traffic to slow you down. Oh and like the others said, do some laps with a CR
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Track Only!

Bike: R6 Track Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick04R6 View Post
that is so true, I was set up next to a guy in the paddock, with slicks on his bike, and I assumed he was going to be fast, but after viewing my trackday video I saw that I had passed him like he was standing still on my way to T5 at Barber and by T6 he was nowhere in sight ,(rear view camera mount), so yeah, I group can be for the novice that think there are faster then they really are.

It would be best to stay in novice, but try go out ahead of the pack, and most likely you won't run into much traffic to slow you down. Oh and like the others said, do some laps with a CR
exactly. With STT, you'll see alot of people in intermediate who shouldn't be there. it's very dangerous. If you do Barber with STT again, get with Brett aka Seca. He's a coach in novice group who rides an R1. Tell him you want to play and ride with him and I guarantee you will have a good time. he'll def teach you more and show you how to navigate the traffic safely and still put in good lap times

06 R6 #91 -

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. ” -Mario Andretti
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I have a question........how are people who dont belong in intermediate class in it? Are there organizations out there that let you decide what group to sign up in? I figured each org would start people in beginner groups ( unless you can provide realistic proof that you ride in higher groups with other orgs ) and that only way you can move up is a bump from a CR / riding coach.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standman4320 View Post
I have a question........how are people who dont belong in intermediate class in it? Are there organizations out there that let you decide what group to sign up in? I figured each org would start people in beginner groups ( unless you can provide realistic proof that you ride in higher groups with other orgs ) and that only way you can move up is a bump from a CR / riding coach.
Around here you sign up for what you want. If a CR is out there and sees you are in the wrong group they may say something to you.

This is why the intermediate groups seems like a cluster F to me...people that are too slow move up too fast and people that feel they are not ready for the race group stick around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in