ride to track? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: '04 R6
Question ride to track?

track is 90 miles away. I need suspension and tire work done by vendors before going to tech and would have to be up at ~5am to get there in time.

question:

should I get a cheap $50 hotel 10 minutes from the track the night before or should I just ride out there?

unfortunately, I cannot rent a trailer in time since I have to work the day before and cannot arrange to pick it up, and I do not have my own car to get out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: ride to track?

I'd get a hotel and do it bro. But I'd also get a hotel for the night after the TD. 90 miles after doing 100 miles on the track is gonna be BRUTAL bro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

ahhh okay. sucks this place does the trackdays on Wednesday.. as we get into June I have a track closer to me that does days on the weekends. Next week is gonna be awesome.

I have some rashed up fairings, do you think I should throw those on before heading out there?

also have a set of frame sliders, but might not have a torque wrench to install them.. should I cut the fairings and have someone install them day-of?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2005 R6

I'd get a hotel the night before so that way you are not exhausted at all. You might have too much worry if you have to ride 90 miles that morning, knowing you have this much time to get there and then you still need tires and suspension work, etc.. As for the ride home, I would do it if I had to. If you are in shape then you could. I remember last year I hurt half way through one track day - my legs were so sore. Over the winter I began working out and last weekend I performed 2 days back to back and could still do more.

Sherry
*2005 Yamaha R6 (street)
*2008 Yamaha R6 (race)
*2010 Yamaha WR250X (super moto)
*2004 Yamaha Zuma (pit bike)
*2005 Yamaha TTR230 (dirt)
*2007 Honda CRF150rb (dirt)
WERA #127
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

Ive ridden to the track (130 miles), ridden all day, and ridden home before with nothing but my suit and a backpack. Its not for wimps, but its not that bad. Ive actually done it a couple of times to different tracks.

When you want to win, when there is no substitute for the best, when you don't want to feel the sting of second place, you really only have one place to turn.

EDR Performance, because their fast is faster than everyone else's

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 AM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

If you mention that you're doing a track day at BHF, that hotel gives you a special low rate... I wouldn't recommend it though, since if you crash during the day you're boned.

Why would you need suspension and tire work before tech?

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 09 R6, 07 R6S, 05 WR250F
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
If you mention that you're doing a track day at BHF, that hotel gives you a special low rate... I wouldn't recommend it though, since if you crash during the day you're boned.

^this.

And you're going to have to buy a TON of water and some food while you're there. I guess you could borrow tools if you had to. Bit if you wreck you're fcked.
At the very least, if you have to ride get a room the might before. The ride home is gonna suck either way.

I would try to rent or find a buddy with a truck.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 AM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330

Are you sure there will be a tire guy and suspension guy there???????I would double check to make sure you dont waste your time...BTW Autobahn with STT is not that far away, and Joliet is not to far from Chicago

Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post

Not sure if it has to be done before or not, just assumed. I would like to get my suspension set for me, since I bought the bike used. I also have my rear Q2 tire mounted in the opposite direction, and both tires are slightly out of balance.

Will those tire issues be a problem?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs32 View Post
Are you sure there will be a tire guy and suspension guy there???????I would double check to make sure you dont waste your time...BTW Autobahn with STT is not that far away, and Joliet is not to far from Chicago
I've never been to a BHF day with motovid that Kenny (Dunlop guy) and TSE (trackside suspension and engineering) weren't there. I think he's safe.

You're right though, there's a WSB field trip to Autobahn for memorial day weekend, and we're getting a hella cheap rate. Sign up NAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuk View Post
Not sure if it has to be done before or not, just assumed. I would like to get my suspension set for me, since I bought the bike used. I also have my rear Q2 tire mounted in the opposite direction, and both tires are slightly out of balance.

Will those tire issues be a problem?
There's a guy that lives in South Beloit that rides to the track, but otherwise it's VERY uncommon.

Suspension setup and tires not on correctly will probably wanna be tweaked before you hit the track, but you will pass tech without a problem. You're gonna have to remove your rear wheel for Kenny to swap your tire around, FYI.. and it'll probably cost you ~$40. Your front is obviously going to need to be taken off to be balanced also... You wanna ride to the track with tires that aren't balanced?!

I'd hitch a ride with someone who has a truck. Check the local forums (chicagoland sportbikes, WSB and others).

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in