Turn in points/track lines - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Turn in points/track lines

Gents,

I recently did my first track day at Mid-Ohio, which was awesome. According to my instructor...my body position was great. We did the leap frog drill and he said my big problem was turning in way too early. This effected the following corners. Which I didn't think about until he said that. I was constantly adjusting my throttle postion mid turn to hold a line (which was bad). My goal was to be as smooth on the throttle for that day too
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

With that said...I was let loose and worked on turning in later, which made a huge difference in speed and the following corners. My lean angle was much...much better as well.

My question is...if you don't have an instructor to tell you where the lines are....how do you choose the appropriate line to maintain a consistent line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 PM
I hate you Turn 4!

Bike: 09 Orca
Re: Turn in points/track lines

Ask around, there is usually a couple of people that will tow you for a couple of laps to learns the lines and then let you at it on your own. Thats what I do when I go to a new track for the first time

Join the XBL Races on MotoGp 14 here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Join the XBL Races on SBKX here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chat thread here

600 Superbike Series Novice # 277
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:19 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

look at a track map as well, go through the lines that seem the fastest. Follow hte lines on the track, they may seem weird at lower speeds, but once you start picking up speed, the lines will work itself out.

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

The no breaking drill seemed to work really welll for me. That was probably my favorite part. It was definitely a humbling experience. I am hooked for sure. I learned so much about riding in one day than I could ever imagine.

I have the track map now and keep on replaying each turn in my head. I should have stayed for the second day lol
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk277 View Post
Ask around, there is usually a couple of people that will tow you for a couple of laps to learns the lines and then let you at it on your own. Thats what I do when I go to a new track for the first time
I am still in novice, which I am totally fine with. So I am sure I will need to just get some more experience. It was turn #7 that was killing me.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:29 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

Try to run at 75-80% of your abilities, that way you can learn faster than when trying to run at 100%.

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6rammy View Post
Try to run at 75-80% of your abilities, that way you can learn faster than when trying to run at 100%.
Will do, I definitely would like to make it to work the next day.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:17 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

anyone .. that is new to track riding or even thinking about track riding should by "Twist of the Wrist II" by keith code. just thought i would throw that out there, very very informative.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

totw1 aint too bad either.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM
My R6 is trouble.

Bike: 2007 R6 - 2006 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
anyone .. that is new to track riding or even thinking about track riding should by "Twist of the Wrist II" by keith code. just thought i would throw that out there, very very informative.

the first one is also great too, I have the hard copies but I also downloaded them on my phone, I like to read them when I get bored to stay refreshed and thinking

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in