85mph Spill @ Hallett Raceway - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Jonesing for track

Bike: 06 Track, 03 R6, 14' FZ09
85mph Spill @ Hallett Raceway

My goal for the day was to focus on finding a way to carry more speed through the chicane in turns 7-8. Before going out in session 4, I decided I would try to carry a tighter line so I could accelerate sooner in the apex without going too wide. Ended up not working out for me as I had hoped.

Wipe out is at 3:55

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have some theories to what caused it but I'm still not 100% sure what happened. I think it was a combination of not racing since Q3 2010 and pushing too hard too soon to get close to my old A group lap times by lunch. I'm also packing an extra 20 lb beer gut that the suspension wasn't originally tuned for. Track direction was also CCW, which is very rare. In the 4 years of racing out there, that was only my 3rd time riding CCW so my lines were off.

Ended up spraining both ankles, few bruises, and a sore neck. Bike wasn't too bad. Front wheel was bent, cracked and full of grass and mud so my day was over. Haven't gotten to fully asses the damages b/c bike is still strapped down in the truck since I can't unload it with these busted ankles.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Last edited by Bergster; 05-16-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 PM
So no sh!t there I was...

Bike: 00 R6 (sold) Red Tricycle
Re: 85mph Spill @ Hallett Raceway

gear FTW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I Shall Never Surrender or Retreat. OIF/OEF
2000 R6 gone but not forgotten...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:34 AM
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven
Pretty gnarly... Glad you're alright! Could have been worse...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Richard Bishop. You're a great friend and someone I will never forget.
MY TRACK BUILD THREAD

MY TRACK DAY THREAD

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MY FACEBOOK

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

I have no advice lol...I am fighting the "line" demon myself
. You look good out there until the unfortunate incident.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 AM
I eat my R6

Maybe you just ran out of tire? too much lean, not enough off the bike?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

you tucked the front... that 209 front aint known for being a good tire to begin with. having it be two years old didn't help. looked damp/cool and you probably were putting too much input on the inside bar trying to keep that tight line. not sure though - glad you're not TOO busted up.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

209 FRONT aint a good tire.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Jonesing for track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Azim View Post
Maybe you just ran out of tire? too much lean, not enough off the bike?
Very well could be the case. It happened so damn fast. One moment knee was dragging, rolled on the throttle, leaned a little more to tighten my line, font tire tucked, then I was tumbling.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergster View Post
Very well could be the case. It happened so damn fast. One moment knee was dragging, rolled on the throttle, leaned a little more to tighten my line, font tire tucked, then I was tumbling.
that's exactly what happened... you can see it. you went to tighten up the line - put input on that inside clipon in order to get more lean, and you just pushed that shitty front 209 too far.

try the uk ntec front.
you could make that move all day long.
i hear the michelin power cup is even better. but something about michelins - i'm not sure i could run em.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Jonesing for track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg2001 View Post
you tucked the front... that 209 front aint known for being a good tire to begin with. having it be two years old didn't help. looked damp/cool and you probably were putting too much input on the inside bar trying to keep that tight line. not sure though - glad you're not TOO busted up.
Going from 003RS street tires to the 209's back in 2010 felt like heaven so I stuck with 'em. The 209's are notorious for being pretty finicky, especially with pressures. I was running HOT psi 19-20 rear, 30 front. It sprinkled most of the morning, overcast & windy, high was 74.

When I patch the bike up and get back out there in July, I plan on running 211's since the bike is setup for Dunlops.

Last edited by Bergster; 05-16-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in