When and how to race. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
My R6 ate me

Bike: 2000 R6 TRACK ONLY
When and how to race.

When do I know when to take the next step and how do I get there. What is the cost just to be able to sign up for a race what do I have to do to get to that point. What kind of times would a novice race run at barber. I was at a track day and was running 1:50's low 2's iv only been on the track 2 times and don't want to rush into anything just want to know where I stand in getting to that point. I do plan on taking the Ed Bargy racing class in the near future anyone taken it before or know anything about it? Thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 PM
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Bike: 2007 R6, 2009 DRZ400SM
Send a message via AIM to JTolles
Re: When and how to race.

Patience young grasshopper. Take your 2 track days and multiply by about 20, then you might see how quick the actual racers are. When you're at the track next, watch the level 3, expert, A group, riders. You don't get there in a a couple outings. It takes years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sig by Joe

Last edited by JTolles; 05-21-2012 at 02:48 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
My R6 ate me

I have a 00 r6 not sure what class I would be in or any of that if you need that info

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Suk it, Lee

... An interesting way of track day grouping. By year and cc of bike...

Just go fast like Ricky Bobby, and you'll be there in no time.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
My R6 ate me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTolles View Post
Patience young grasshopper. Take your 2 track days and multiply by about 20, then you might see how quick the actual racers are. When you're at the track next, watch the level 3, expert, A group, riders. You don't get there in a a couple outings. It takes years.
Is your average novice racer run in a groups at a track day or I group?

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
My R6 ate me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
... An interesting way of track day grouping. By year and cc of bike...

Just go fast like Ricky Bobby, and you'll be there in no time.
Groups are not by bike lol that's just what I'm running and would be in if I race. I'm in the novice group now

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDGRUNTZ View Post
Is your average novice racer run in a groups at a track day or I group?
Whatever the fastest group is. My track day orgs go Level 1,2,3. 3 is where the racers are. I'm sure the "advanced/expert" group is typically where the racers are at most other orgs.

Sig by Joe

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
My R6 ate me

What about the racing school? Is it worth the money for the knowledge and safety purposes at this point or should I get a little more seat time before i do it? Most all of them that I have seen I can get 2 track days in for the price of a 1 day school.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Seat time. Get to where you're (at the earliest) on the verge of intermediate and advanced groups then do the school.

Sig by Joe

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDGRUNTZ View Post
What about the racing school? Is it worth the money for the knowledge and safety purposes at this point or should I get a little more seat time before i do it? Most all of them that I have seen I can get 2 track days in for the price of a 1 day school.
I think your best bet would be to do a track day, ask a control rider to follow you around and then ask him what he thinks about your readiness for racing school...IMO without seeing you ride no one here is going to be able to tell you if you are ready.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in