Anyone going to Summit Main on Monday 6/4? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Anyone going to Summit Main on Monday 6/4? (Pics/story of my first track day also)

Hey guys,

Just did my first track day last Monday (May 28) with Roger Lyle's motorcycle xcitement. I had a freaking blast. I would like to go back on monday and was wondering if anyone is going, if so any tips for running that track as I did Shenandoah last monday. I was out there with my orange R6. Running power pures at 28 front and rear. Let me know if you're going and maybe you can give me some tips as I'm a track noob.

Pics of Trackday # 1

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Uploaded with
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/td11.jpg/]
[/URL]

Uploaded with

Also as a side note, I'm running a M4 full exhaust with bazzaz zfi+ afm and I dont think it was running completely right. On decels I was getting some backfire/popping (too lean?) and right as i would accelerate from a closed throttle there seems to be a sortof dead spot before I hit 4k rpm. Maybe I need to erase the map thats on there and take it for a few laps and get new readings?

Last edited by OrangeOctane; 06-01-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 08:06 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 R6
Re: Anyone going to Summit Main on Monday 6/4?

Not there on 6/4.

I've run Summit Main 3 times. It is a relatively easy track to learn.

Bumpy in a few spots. You really start to notice the bumps as your pace comes up. Turn 3 (fast left hander) in particular.

Again as the pace comes up, you'll probably find you need to upshift somewhere between Turn 7 and 9. I usually pop it up a gear in the right left transition into 8.

A lot of folks slow down for the blind rise out of 3 into 4. It isn't necessary, 4can be taken fast as long as you are willing to hammer the brakes into 5. This makes a good passing area once you get comfortable.

The traction in the dry is pretty consistent, but if it is wet, every patch seems to have different traction and there are a lot of patches. Makes an interesting learning experience.

Not to be a smartass, but the R6 off a closed throttle under 8k RPM feels like a dead spot.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Ah gotcha, thanks for all of the tips. I guess I am just not quite used to the lack of lowend compared to my cbr1000. By the way, since main is faster and bumpy, will I be in any danger without a steering dampener?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 R6

I don't run a steering damper and don't remember any particular issue with head shake. I'm not going to say you won't experience it at Main, but in comparison I can tell you at VIR exactly where it happens for me.

Probably nuts for not running a damper, I tend to just ignore the head shake and let it sort itself out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in