going track only - sell&buy track bike or upgrade - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6
 
starbuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 302
Bike: '04 R6
Question going track only - sell&buy track bike or upgrade

tldr - do i keep my bike and convert it to track only or do i sell street bike and buy track bike with mods?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I am considering converting my 04 to a full time track bike.

There are two options that I am looking at: 1) keep current bike and put on race fairings. 2) sell street bike, buy track bike with mods.

My guess is that I can get a nice track bike for the price of my street bike. The downside is that I have to wait to find a bike within my budget and may be without a bike for a while. I am looking at getting an 03-05 so I can keep learning and fix her up for cheap in case of crashes.

Obviously getting a bike with a bunch of mods would be better than stock, but since this is my first year at the track I am okay using stock suspension for now. This way I would avoid having to buy a bike, sell a bike, and all the risks that go along with buying a used track bike (what condition is motor really in, title issues, etc.).

thanks for reading and let me know what you think!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
starbuk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM
candy red
 
lopez95632's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sacramento cali
Posts: 7,505
Bike: 07 r6s
Send a message via MSN to lopez95632
Re: going track only - sell&buy track bike or upgrade

If you were to get another second gen, get a 05. Depending on condition of your bike now you can get q good 4kish for it. That equals out to a very nice track bike IMO. Sell this one and get a already set up bike, it'll be a lot cheaper.

must read for new members

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lopez95632 is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 PM
AFM #327
 
Doc-Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: East Bay
Posts: 15,208
Bike: 16 R3, 17R6
Re: going track only - sell&buy track bike or upgrade

If you can run your bike as it is with just race fairings on, then yeah, keep the bike and run it as it is.

If you want goodies on the bike, then sell the street bike and buy a used 2nd gen R6 all tricked out for the track for about the same price as your street bike.

I'm guessing you would be able to sell yours for ~$3500-4000 or so, that should buy you a decent track bike. No point is spending 2-3 grand additional to your street bike to get it upto date (suspension, damper, fairings etc).

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Doc-Ram is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Track Only!
 
Saltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 5 mins from Barber Motorsports Park
Posts: 1,550
Bike: R6 Track Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6rammy View Post
If you can run your bike as it is with just race fairings on, then yeah, keep the bike and run it as it is.

If you want goodies on the bike, then sell the street bike and buy a used 2nd gen R6 all tricked out for the track for about the same price as your street bike.

I'm guessing you would be able to sell yours for ~$3500-4000 or so, that should buy you a decent track bike. No point is spending 2-3 grand additional to your street bike to get it upto date (suspension, damper, fairings etc).
This...

Motorcycle.com SUCKS! I hate this app! Sent from my phone using Motorcycle.com.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


06 R6 #91 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. ” -Mario Andretti
Saltman is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Original Member-Vendor

 
Agg2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: www.AggRacing.com, TX-USA
Posts: 30,470
Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001
Re: going track only - sell&buy track bike or upgrade

if you have a clean/clear titled street bike, sell it as such. then use that money for a salvage/no-title track-only bike, and pocket the difference... or use it to mod the piss out of it.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agg2001 is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 AM
I eat my R6
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 108
Bike: 07 R6
Re: going track only - sell&buy track bike or upgrade

What mods would you expect on a track bike?

Keep in mind that if the suspension isn't close for your weight then new springs will be needed, which adds cost. And if the suspension components are really good, you pay for them.

Most track bikes end up with mods after wrecks. That's how mine got rear sets, clip-ons, new sliders and a flashy new paint job.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
But each wreck usually leaves behind, "Ahh it's good enough parts."

The point, most track bikes aren't all that trick with the exception being sometimes suspension. They look bling with track body work and all the stock components that have been tossed, but underneath most are pretty close to stock.
narve00 is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 AM
pin it to win it
 
bryan j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: forsyth GA
Posts: 8,081
Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Are you a gear head? You could sell all the street stuff and make enough for some goodies for the track. I would rather use the bike I have and know the history of, and convert it to track myself. I'd rather put the mods I want and do the wrenching myself.

But buying a used race bike is prly the better bet lol.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,


Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Parts Pimp
 
ChiefSmokeDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: JerZ
Posts: 26,451
Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: going track only - sell&buy track bike or upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by narve00 View Post
What mods would you expect on a track bike?

Keep in mind that if the suspension isn't close for your weight then new springs will be needed, which adds cost. And if the suspension components are really good, you pay for them.

Most track bikes end up with mods after wrecks. That's how mine got rear sets, clip-ons, new sliders and a flashy new paint job.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
But each wreck usually leaves behind, "Ahh it's good enough parts."

The point, most track bikes aren't all that trick with the exception being sometimes suspension. They look bling with track body work and all the stock components that have been tossed, but underneath most are pretty close to stock.
Every track bike we work on has TONS of little nagging issues and always need a whole mess of work. Buy it from a friend or someone with records of repairs or maintenance thru a good shop. Ask that shop about the bike, etc. Do your research. Track bike get ABUSED bro. Your 04 isn't worth too much and it's not like you'll have a track bike tomorrow, ya know. You gotta sell it, wait, dick around with tire kickers, etc.

My 08 with a title and LOW LOW miles was a stupid bike to track out. Less valuable not mint bike with over 3500 miles might as well track it and find some used parts. For instance, I am thinking about selling my 02. The forks fit your bike but are a little long but built. I sell woodcraft and can get you nice bodywork, clip ons, and anything you need.

Some people only buy knew bikes cause they know where it's been. Track bikes are a roll of the dice unless its from someone you trust IMO. The handful our guys have picked up have had so many issues and was a lot of money in suspension resprings and refreshes. Leaks here and there, shit all done wrong all over the place. Mad bolts missing. One had electrical tape on the brake reservoir arm to the MC.. Then the forks leaked, then we had to scavenge my oem 02 forks.. A TTX later, and some heavily sprung 02 forks and the bike is amazing! for an 03!!! Seriously!

If you're interested in a cheaper fairing option, lemme know and I can probably pull that off for you too. I love helping people get to the track.

In the meanwhile tape your lights and get one or two in bro!!!

Anthony


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6
 
starbuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 302
Bike: '04 R6
Re: going track only - sell&buy track bike or upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Every track bike we work on has TONS of little nagging issues and always need a whole mess of work. Buy it from a friend or someone with records of repairs or maintenance thru a good shop. Ask that shop about the bike, etc. Do your research. Track bike get ABUSED bro. Your 04 isn't worth too much and it's not like you'll have a track bike tomorrow, ya know. You gotta sell it, wait, dick around with tire kickers, etc.

My 08 with a title and LOW LOW miles was a stupid bike to track out. Less valuable not mint bike with over 3500 miles might as well track it and find some used parts. For instance, I am thinking about selling my 02. The forks fit your bike but are a little long but built. I sell woodcraft and can get you nice bodywork, clip ons, and anything you need.

Some people only buy knew bikes cause they know where it's been. Track bikes are a roll of the dice unless its from someone you trust IMO. The handful our guys have picked up have had so many issues and was a lot of money in suspension resprings and refreshes. Leaks here and there, shit all done wrong all over the place. Mad bolts missing. One had electrical tape on the brake reservoir arm to the MC.. Then the forks leaked, then we had to scavenge my oem 02 forks.. A TTX later, and some heavily sprung 02 forks and the bike is amazing! for an 03!!! Seriously!

If you're interested in a cheaper fairing option, lemme know and I can probably pull that off for you too. I love helping people get to the track.

In the meanwhile tape your lights and get one or two in bro!!!

Anthony
Thanks, I am thinking of going this route. Too much hassle for a few hundo to find new bike and not know what condition its in, etc. I will keep the forums posted.
starbuk is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 AM
iRun
 
pickpocket293's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Land of rain and micro-brews.
Posts: 33,319
Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed
Re: going track only - sell&buy track bike or upgrade

Sell it. Buy a track whore with a salvage title for half the coin and buy track days (or a trailer to get the thing to the track.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).



EDIT: although Anthony does have a point... Your 2004 isn't going to be pulling in mad money. I'd probably sell the street stuff and track that slut.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • How does rotating mass work?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pickpocket293 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track Guys: Track Bike Refreshing/Maintenance ThatSickRip General Discussions 13 09-14-2011 07:04 PM
Trade/Sell 2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track Bike ciaka Bikes For Sale 0 07-06-2009 10:27 PM
'99 YZF-R6 Track/Race Bike - $3200 - All the track goodies on ciaka Bike Parts For Sale 8 10-17-2008 05:21 AM
2005 Yamaha R6 track bike with 500 miles of track time TRADE?? vietsomot Bike Parts For Sale 4 05-22-2007 05:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome