Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Suggest a ramp

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  pjallal 
#1 ·
I plan on doing a lot of track days in the near future and won't always have somebody to help me load and unload the bike.
I currently have one of those narrow ramps that i do not feel safe using because i know i'll probably drop my bike. Looking for a new ramp that will allow me to load and unload my bike with ease on my Tundra.

I know I can always rent a trailer, but that just adds to the list of things to do right before a track day and I'd rather not.

Suggestions?

#3 ·
Ha I have those 1ft wide arc shaped ramps, super sketchy. Harbor frieght had some wide tri fold ramps for cheap. Lowes has some to.

#4 ·
Bryan - Tell me about it, b/c my truck is a bit high (not lifted) the incline gets me really nervous haha.

I've seen the ATV ones you're talking about though, that might be the next best thing.

Using plywood and sandpaper (for grip) has also crossed my mind. A couple of hinges to fold it up, idk...

#5 ·
Hell I rolled a riding lawn mower over trying to use those stupid ramps.
I would use a ply wood ramp lol. After building a few houses my trust in some ply wood is pretty up there.

If you wanna be super cheap like me find a hill and back up to it with the truck. Use the lil Shit ramps to get it in. once at the track ask some one with a good ramp if you can use it lol.

#7 ·
Shit get some 1in thick pressure treated ply wood. Will hold the whole truck up lol
But yes a legit ramp is a better idea

#9 ·
Or be like evil kanievel(fcuk spelling lol) build a ramp, jump 5 trucks and land in the back of yours. Dont worry bout bending the forks on landing, itll buff out

#10 ·
OP, I just bought a 4x7 trailer from Tractor trailer for $499 to haul my bike around in the F 150. It seemed more of a hassle loading and unloading out of the truck by myself.

Not sure if it is an option....but it is one of the better investments I have made until I can afford an enclosed trailer

#17 ·
FYI... i'm a dealer for rage powersports. but there are cheaper places to buy ramps than through me. save your money for bike parts... THEN come and talk to me.

but if you REALLY want a set, i can beat msrp on doubt. but still slightly more than discountramps.com

#12 ·
Be careful if you order from a bike shop or through a catalogue.... a 6 foot ramp will actually be 5.5 feet (because the box it comes in is 6 feet tall). Get a good 8 or 10 foot folding ramp. You want something compact.

I have a heavy duty "8-foot" folding ramp (which is actually about 7 feet) but works well enough for my use, and I can fold it into the truck/backseat so I know people won't oogle over it and get tempted to take it.

#14 ·
Here:

Use the guide to choose a ramp, lemme know which one you feel is the most useful and I can price em for you and drop ship em too.
http://www.oxlite.com/Selection_Guide.html

For example, the 6.5 foot arched pair retails at $205

We can surely work out a great discount on the ramps and then the shipping would be additional.

This pair is 89 inches X 12 in a pair retailing at $223, that's just shy of 7.5 feet long. For the tall Tundra, I'd go with the longer ones for $20 extra

#18 ·
Search craigslist for an atv ramp

#19 ·
Chief and AGG thanks for the hook up going to look into it.

Mgossel, i didn't even look into trailers since I figured it'll be way out of my range, but I think $500 isn't too bad to make life easier haha. Definitely will look into that as well.

I'll keep you guys posted!

#23 ·
Chief and AGG thanks for the hook up going to look into it.

Mgossel, i didn't even look into trailers since I figured it'll be way out of my range, but I think $500 isn't too bad to make life easier haha. Definitely will look into that as well.

I'll keep you guys posted!
you can get a brand new rail trailer, with wood floor and expanded metal ramp "gate" in 5x8 here for $500 WITH a bulldog hitch. that's out the door. i'd done that if i had had the room to store it instead of ramps. :(

#20 ·
Northern tool has a small trailer that will fit a bike and a few other small things. It's like $475
If you can afford it a trailer is the way to go. Hell for 1k you can get a small used enclosed trailet

#22 ·
True smaller trailers are a lil unstable at higher speeds, a sway controller helps a ton

#24 · (Edited)
I've used the harbor freight bi-fold (~6ft long) ramps to load my bike into a F-150. I pull up to my driveway that way the angle is less steep. I also seperate the ramps so I can walk up one and clutch the bike up the other. Without the driveway or an incline I need someone's help... it's sketchy otherwise. For our trip up to Bar Harbor I picked up a 5x8' trailer to tow behind the RV for two bikes... easy!

#25 ·
Leaning towards the trailer. I know I've got to drive a bit slower, but when the track is only 30 mins from you, I don't think you'll mind either :)

What are some of the things that I need to add to the trailer to make it m/c friendly?

#28 · (Edited)
Just throwing it out there...guys here is my set up with a triple wide ramp (that triple wide is AWESOME!!! Really safe for one person). I paid $85 for the ramp at harbor freight and $329 for the trailer at northern tools (4x8 fold up). I have the room for a trailer but I dont waste my room. LOL!! Of course I did other things to the trailer to make life easier for me but I know one thing, I can load and unload at trackdays all by myself with no help. I just strap my ramp on the side for transport. I had one of those narrow ramps too. Toooo dangerous for one person to load and unload with. My trailer is light but with the bike on it I have no swaying and I hit 65 to 70 with no problem and experience no unstability pulling it with my car. Keep in mind I dont even have a truck.
Hey Justin peep out above my left headlight. Kinda hard to see but I reppin!

#31 · (Edited)
If you're using the trailer for the sole purpose of hauling your bike I don't think you really need E-track (though it is pretty sweet and incredibly versatile). Personally I'd invest in a good wheel chock (read: Condor or Baxley) and put in 4 D-rings with backing plates, buy a few ratchet straps and some canyon dancers and you're good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.