Clutch recomendations..? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Clutch recomendations..?

Keeping it simple I've just fried my clutch

What would you Brand plates would you recommend?

would you bother with a stm slipper replacement?

edit: This a superstock Race Bike

Last edited by Nanas; 08-27-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 AM
www.1seven1.com

Re: Clutch recomendations..?

I've played with different brands of plates and I always end up back with OE plates and springs with the slipper clutch spring mod. They wear really well and seem to be the smoothest. Unless you're drag racing or something, heavy springs are a pain.

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 AM
I eat my R6

Oem 100%

Installing the STM will make you illegal for the SS class.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:02 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

yup, oem are good plates, and heavy springs are no fun, but i don't think he has the slipper clutch mod as an option. From what i can tell (he didn't post what year bike he has). .. he has a 2nd gen r6 (hard to tell from photo but that is what it looks like).
slipper and amount of it, often comes down to personal preference. I come from a dirt background, and like lots of motor braking. some love a more free-wheel effect with less motor braking.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

It's an old photo currently Racing a 09 R6 in West Aus

Quick church of the rule book and no Stm's allowed

OEM it is then.. What's the slipper spring Mod?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanas View Post
It's an old photo currently Racing a 09 R6 in West Aus

Quick church of the rule book and no Stm's allowed

OEM it is then.. What's the slipper spring Mod?
sweet, the b&w gives the pic a retro look .
I am betting this has been discussed before, check for some older threads..
if you look at the exploded view of the 3rd gen clutch, there are three "Y" springs stacked on top of each other that regulate the slip as it ramps. Lessening the force (less spring pressure) lets the clutch slip a bunch more. So, this can be done in any degree you feel you like. From all 3 springs (stock) to cutting the fingers off 2 of the "Y" springs and only having 1 (lots of slip).. the springs are only about $10 per, so if you cut em and wanna go back some, it's not a big deal.
Some cut 6mm off the middle spring fingers, then 12mm off the top spring.
I run 2 full, and 12mm off the top one.
Keep in mind you should run the remnants of the springs (basically a washer at that point) so the washers push the bottom spring all the way down. The clutch hub nut has a collar on it that goes inside the "Y" springs, this is why you need to keep all 3 parts even if the fingers of the "Y" are cut off..
Keep in mind you can ALSO affect clutch slip by using a thinner clutch plates, or reducing clutch spring pressure (softer springs but these are YEC kit parts/$$$) .

just some fyi for those doin this:
BE CAREFUL to ensure the washer collar is inside the springs before you tighten it or it will smash the springs..
be careful too, that you stack them properly as each spring has a locating tab. these have to alternate and go into a groove of the clutch hub. Those tabs are easily broken off if the install is done wrong. There is a recent thread where a guy (who i had a couple dozen emails back and forth helping out
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) had a new clutch, all in spec, assembled correctly.. but.. one of these little locating tabs had broke off, floated around, and was wedged in a spot that didn't allow the clutch pack to engage properly and it would slip even at mid rpms ..
be sure to peen the lock nut onto the shaft so it won't back off after it's torqued down.

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 08-28-2012 at 07:15 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
sweet, the b&w gives the pic a retro look .
I am betting this has been discussed before, check for some older threads..
if you look at the exploded view of the 3rd gen clutch, there are three "Y" springs stacked on top of each other that regulate the slip as it ramps. Lessening the force (less spring pressure) lets the clutch slip a bunch more. So, this can be done in any degree you feel you like. From all 3 springs (stock) to cutting the fingers off 2 of the "Y" springs and only having 1 (lots of slip).. the springs are only about $10 per, so if you cut em and wanna go back some, it's not a big deal.
Some cut 6mm off the middle spring fingers, then 12mm off the top spring.
I run 2 full, and 12mm off the top one.
Keep in mind you should run the remnants of the springs (basically a washer at that point) so the washers push the bottom spring all the way down. The clutch hub nut has a collar on it that goes inside the "Y" springs, this is why you need to keep all 3 parts even if the fingers of the "Y" are cut off..
Keep in mind you can ALSO affect clutch slip by using a thinner clutch plates, or reducing clutch spring pressure (softer springs but these are YEC kit parts/$$$) .

just some fyi for those doin this:
BE CAREFUL to ensure the washer collar is inside the springs before you tighten it or it will smash the springs..
be careful too, that you stack them properly as each spring has a locating tab. these have to alternate and go into a groove of the clutch hub. Those tabs are easily broken off if the install is done wrong. There is a recent thread where a guy (who i had a couple dozen emails back and forth helping out
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) had a new clutch, all in spec, assembled correctly.. but.. one of these little locating tabs had broke off, floated around, and was wedged in a spot that didn't allow the clutch pack to engage properly and it would slip even at mid rpms ..
be sure to peen the lock nut onto the shaft so it won't back off after it's torqued down.
Cheers Mate appreciated ..

i might save it till off season as to not **** up this one
with my kack handedness :lol: but will give it a go..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

"no worries"

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 AM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

You should ask Spies what he recommends for clutches.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
You should ask Spies what he recommends for clutches.
for sure, as of late.. if that guy didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in