First Time Track Day Rider's Rule Book! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
R stands for RaceBike

Bike: 2009 R6
First Time Track Day Rider's Rule Book!

This Thread is for the noobies (i'm no pro), There is tons and tons of info that can be shared to help the new track riders have a good first Td. The things i am going to go over are the basic EVERYONE should know while out on a track!

I've notice there alot of Us that go to the track expecting to rip around like a boss and end up crashing on our First TD. I want to put this together to reduce the number of riders going down, That should keep your bike and, most importantly, you driving home at the end of the day in one peice! thats the goal anyways right?

This list should grow I do Not know EVERYTHING i want other peoples Inputs add your "Rule's" We all want to get fast this thread is here to help you pick up the pace SAFELY.

Rule #1 You are NOT out to set world record lap times, you are NOT out there to Go fast, you ARE out there to learn how to become a better rider, and in time your pace will pick up, but the safe way!

Rule #2 You are out there to LEARN, Soak up all the info you can from instructors and more advanced riders. Not all info is good info, Just because you have a buddy out there that is fast doesnt mean his is doing everything right.

Rule #3 take the first couple sessions to learn the track, learn the race line, Learn your breaking points,Practice being SMOOTH

The morning sessions(at least around me) are always the most crowded, TAKE ADVANTAGE of this. Follow your instructor LEARN the lines. The last thing you want is to go out the first session or 2 and crash your pretty bike because you are out riding your skill. like i said take it easy the first couple sessions around here(txt) it is hot so alot of the crowd clears out not long after lunch this is when you take what you have been practicing and put it to work, SLOWLY ramp up your pace. 1st session should be 20% of your skill and slowly increase that during the rest of the day

Rule #4 ALWAYS look THROUGH the corner. When coming up to you corner you look for your Entrance(or turn in point) Find that and Then Find your exit point! your bike goes where you look while leaning DO NOT Target Fixate! if you watch your turn in point all the way till you hit it you have to look up and find the next point and if you wait til you are turning you will run off give your brain time to react!

Use reference point that don't change to help you stay on your line. I have a few tracks where i use the sealer on the track for my turn in or braking spot. these point will never move no mater what, Unlike a cone or "tape X" when the track org goes to place them.

you should know your points with out being on the track or if you were to walk on the track you should be able to pin point your spot to about a 1 square foot patch.

Shadows-Pick your line and stick it. Be consistent on your line, you are only asking for a collision if you swerve from one side of the track to the other side. It's hard to pass unpredictable rider, so be predictable. Alot of people will follow another rider a lap before passing to make sure they can make a safe pass since they know your line. You also don't want to make alot of line corrections in turns. Once you turn in, hold that line all the way...

Rule #5 Ride your ride, dont let the feeling of people behind you or passing you mess with your head,You are NOT racing, you are out there to LEARN and have FUN, It's not fun pushing yourself and crashing (ask me how i know)

Rule #6 BE SMOOTH this is one of the best things you can do to improve your riding. Be smooth on everything you do on your bike, Throtle, Brakes, Body postion, your lines, EVERYTHING you do on your bike do it smooth

"Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast"

Think about it, you're having problems get through a corner smoothly lower your pace a few corners ahead and work on what you think will help. Weather is be corner Turn in, your Apex, or your Exit point, or even body postion. fix what ever feels weird once you find what it is.

Rule #7 Dragging your knee is a result, NOT a goal, it will come with Good body position and doing all of the above!

This should cover a lot of what cause most crash on the first few times out.

Remember its not a race everyone gets the same checkered flag at the end of each session.

Feel free to ask any questions in here directed toward track riding, Someone will respond with a great answer as we have a BUNCH of veteran Track Junkies on this site! Read the entire thread i wont be able to update this with everyone's good idea's so read on this should be a never ending thread of track knowledge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Speed doesn't Kill, The abrupt deceleration does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Money
When you wreak get inside of me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ingredient List

Armour Bodies Track Fairings
Flash Tune ECU
K&N Air Filter
RaceTech Gold Valves
RaceTech Springs
Vortex Gas Cap
Driven-1,0 Gearing
05 header
GYTR Slip-On
Galfer Rear Wave Rotor
Green Type 3 Fren Tubo lines

Last edited by bruiser; 09-06-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:05 PM
I have 2 belly buttons.

Bike: '09 R6
Good thread idea bruiser!

post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
No one there gives 2 shits how fast you are. so stop trying to impress ppl.

Your stock bike is plenty capable. and looks better than most track bikes anyway.

Don't for half a sec wonder if you should ask a control rider for help. Do it!

Tape your Speedo. Some ppl panic when they see 120mph then see a turn coming.

Be predictable. Don't randomly swerve across the track to find another line. That line will be there next lap

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '07R6 Track
Re: First Time Track Day Rider's Rule Book!

Great Thread!
I'm not sure if this fits in with #5, but a definitive rule should be:
Ride your Ride, don't try to keep up with your buddy "Johnny Hair on Fire" you'll soon be in over your head and in a world of hurt.

And the best one I ever got was: "Check your ego at the door" there is no room for Macho shit when traveling on two small patches of rubber while dragging body parts!
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
R stands for RaceBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpr1 View Post
Great Thread!
I'm not sure if this fits in with #5, but a definitive rule should be:
Ride your Ride, don't try to keep up with your buddy "Johnny Hair on Fire" you'll soon be in over your head and in a world of hurt.

And the best one I ever got was: "Check your ego at the door" there is no room for Macho shit when traveling on two small patches of rubber while dragging body parts!
That reminds me ! updated

Quote:
Quote:

Ingredient List

Flash Tune ECU
K&N Air Filter
RaceTech Gold Valves
RaceTech Springs
Vortex Gas Cap
Driven-1,0 Gearing
05 header
GYTR Slip-On
Galfer Rear Wave Rotor

post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '07R6 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post

Tape your Speedo. Some ppl panic when they see 120mph then see a turn coming.

Be predictable. Don't randomly swerve across the track to find another line. That line will be there next lap
Definitively agree with taping over the speedo, and VERY IMPORTANT, be predictable, Swerving accross the track will get you HURT!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by maxpr1; 09-06-2012 at 01:35 PM.
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 PM
I have 2 belly buttons.

Bike: '09 R6

Pick your line and stick it. Be consistent on your line, you are only asking for a collision if you swerve from one side of the track to the other side. It's hard to pass unpredictable rider, so be predictable. Alot of people will follow another rider a lap before passing to make sure they can make a safe pass since they know your line. You also don't want to make alot of line corrections in turns. Once you turn in, hold that line all the way...

post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Biggest thing that helped me was to look where I wanna go. Obvious right? I thought so till I was on the track. Where you look on the street doesn't work on the track. You really need to turn your head and look far.

lead with your face.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
R stands for RaceBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0ws View Post
Pick your line and stick it. Be consistent on your line, you are only asking for a collision if you swerve from one side of the track to the other side. It's hard to pass unpredictable rider, so be predictable. Alot of people will follow another rider a lap before passing to make sure they can make a safe pass since they know your line. You also don't want to make alot of line corrections in turns. Once you turn in, hold that line all the way...
this will be added to the first post.

Swearving will get you or someone else hurt

Quote:
Quote:

Ingredient List

Flash Tune ECU
K&N Air Filter
RaceTech Gold Valves
RaceTech Springs
Vortex Gas Cap
Driven-1,0 Gearing
05 header
GYTR Slip-On
Galfer Rear Wave Rotor

post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Sometimes..........

Bike: 2012 R6

Good info....definetly picked up a few pointers.

Thanks Bruiser!

I dont measure life in dollar bills, I measure life with the joy I get out of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in