Heavier Rider strategies vs. lightweight? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Why is this broken?

Bike: It WAS a 2012 R1
Heavier Rider strategies vs. lightweight?

Sooo I was just dinking around on the MotoGP site looking at stats and started kicking around the idea of what if I had to compete against these guys? I'm 6'0" and 210 at the moment and I'm mulling over what kind of strategy I would have to take to account for the weight difference. What are the pros and the cons of being a heavier rider? What can I do that a lighter rider wouldn't be able to do? What could they do that I can't? How about taller vs. shorter? This hypothetical is not counting the massive disparity in competitive experience between myself and these guys (I have none. but I do have a track day in OMG!)

How do I compete with a lighter rider on a similar class bike to mine? I read a little about the MotoGP teams changing things other than the suspension on their bikes to account for the differences but I wouldn't know what those are (do tell if you know). I'm still at the stage of learning my suspension and tire pressure preferences so modifying for my weight is a long way off, other than setting suspension sag etc.

POOOO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 06 r6r raven edition
Start jogging? Cycling? Dieting? Lol, I'm taller and weigh more than you, I feel like It's much easier, cheaper and faster to loose weight than to shed weight off a bike.

2006 r6r raven edition:

- HID lights
- speedo drd
- MJS mid pipe
- bullseye vinyl
- keiti tank pad
- block off plates
- L.P. flasher relay
- weighted barends
- 15T front sprocket
- smoked windscreen
- no cut frame sliders
- carbon fiber accents
- brake reservoir socks
- carbon fiber gytr slip on
- air filter snorkel removed
- Flash Tuned ECU / interface
- hotbodies smoked flush turn signals
- Motodynamic smoked integrated / sequential LED tail light
post #3 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Why is this broken?

Re: Heavier Rider strategies vs. lightweight?

Well, that's a given. I'm already working on shedding weight. The hypothetical I am posing is what if someone said I had to go and race one of the 140-150 pound guys right now at this weight on a similar bike. There's not much weight you can really shed off of a bike IMO. Yes they would probably accelerate faster but I'm asking because I read a short blurb about Rossi and someone else asking for a minimum weight rider+bike in response to whoever it was that was superlight and in turn the article talked about this particular rider being dismissed by critics because they didnt think he would have enough weight to handle the bike. Then that got me to thinking of this hypothetical. Is what I'm asking a little clearer now?

I'm asking what strategy could I take on the track to use my weight to my advantage and turn his lesser weight to a disadvantage? Do I have to be aggressive about getting in front of him and blocking or will I have a better time handling the bike in a certain way than he will?

POOOO
RRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Last edited by Brzrkr; 09-22-2012 at 05:43 PM.

post #4 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Tron has corrupted me

Bike: 2005 R6 Raven "Deimos"

From my understanding of the physics of racing, the extra weight means you can't accelerate as fast. However the height and extra weight means you can put your overall center of mass between you and the bike further into a turn, thus decreasing the lean needed and increasing the speed at which you can take the turn.
post #5 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Why is this broken?

so basically my key would be trying to preserve as much momentum as I can through the turns since I'll be able to theoretically take a turn faster if I use my weight right and try to use that to negate his ability to accelerate in the straights?

POOOO
RRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

post #6 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:35 AM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
You can stop faster and your stronger.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #7 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 09 R6, 07 R6S, 05 WR250F

I don't see any real advantage. I guess the more mass hanging off could equal a little less lean angle but that extra mass is also putting more stress on the tire as well. So basically you could even burn up tires quicker than someone lighter.

Really though, work on being a better rider than the guy you're racing and that's what will put you up front.
post #8 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Tron has corrupted me

Bike: 2005 R6 Raven "Deimos"
The way the stress transfers and the way friction operates in the turn the extra weight of your body doesn't add too the stress on the tires, it actually relieves it. Basically you don't have to lean as hard or get as deep into the turn because your overall center of mass is further into the turn, creating a greater centripetal acceleration. Now, the faster you take a turn, the more stress your tires take, but because of your height and weight you won't have to use as much of the side of your tire to achieve the same turn at the same speed.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Hard work yields great rewards, but idle talk leads only to destruction.
Proverbs 14:23

“Faster, Faster, Until The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.”
Hunter S. Thompson

"It wasn't until I went to college and I got my first motorcycle that I understood the thrill of speed."
Vin Diesel
post #9 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 03:20 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

Think like you're "Bowser" in Mario-Kart... Bump those bitches out of the way.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #10 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzrkr View Post
Sooo I was just dinking around on the MotoGP site looking at stats and started kicking around the idea of what if I had to compete against these guys? I'm 6'0" and 210 at the moment and I'm mulling over what kind of strategy I would have to take to account for the weight difference.
You would be at a disadvantage.

Quote:
What are the pros and the cons of being a heavier rider?
All cons, no pros.

Quote:
What can I do that a lighter rider wouldn't be able to do?
Accelerate slower.

Quote:
What could they do that I can't?
Accelerate faster.

Quote:
How about taller vs. shorter?
Shorter tucks in to the bubble easier, breaks less wind.

Quote:
How do I compete with a lighter rider on a similar class bike to mine?
All you can hope to do is carry more corner speed. But, if they are equally skilled you will lose when it's time for the horsepower.

Quote:
I read a little about the MotoGP teams changing things other than the suspension on their bikes to account for the differences but I wouldn't know what those are (do tell if you know).
Probably mostly ergos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
You can stop faster and your stronger.
How do you figure? Heavier things don't normally stop faster than lighter things; you know, Newton's laws and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShepp View Post
The way the stress transfers and the way friction operates in the turn the extra weight of your body doesn't add too the stress on the tires, it actually relieves it. Basically you don't have to lean as hard or get as deep into the turn because your overall center of mass is further into the turn, creating a greater centripetal acceleration. Now, the faster you take a turn, the more stress your tires take, but because of your height and weight you won't have to use as much of the side of your tire to achieve the same turn at the same speed.
Smells like
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in