Do I need a steering damper? - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Metal Millitia

Bike: 2010 R6 Raven
Looking to buy one soon.
That helmet he is wearing is pimp- love Suomy lids.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

I only have one speed: GO!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Re: Do I need a steering damper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
Holy shit!

Side note-- That camera angle is flippin' sweet. I'm gonna have to try that I think.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...and you were lookin' REAL smooth out there man. Nice work.
Yea it's probably my favorite angle out of all the ones I've tried.

Thanks, feels goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster View Post
Why the R6 doesnt come stock with a stablizer blows my mind.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A steering damper is the first thing on my list for my winter mod session! I've been eyeing the GPR V4 Stabilizer, what brand/style you considering?
I have an Ohlins linear damper installed. It's on a low setting as I don't like the way it feels cranked up. I prefer a more natural feel with enough setting to save my ass in moments like these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_R6Ryder View Post
Looking to buy one soon.

Thanks, it's the Suomy Vandal Murales Graffiti lid. Pretty sure it was a limited run though.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 AM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post
Yes.
as long as you understand why it happened, you can make adjustments so that it doesn't happen again. there's a lot of ripples coming out of 10b onto the front straight if you push out to the edge of the track early. combined with the act of adjusting yourself on the bike as you're rolling on the throttle is likely what caused this.

i had a vicious head shake this season at gingerman coming out of turn 6 that sent me off-track at about 90mph. totally my fault; lazy, tired, last session, too much input on the bars.

because of that, i will be getting a damper, too. mostly because i know me and i know that i will one day be lazy and tired at the end of the day again.

good save, btw...

Quote:
A steering damper is the first thing on my list for my winter mod session! I've been eyeing the GPR V4 Stabilizer, what brand/style you considering?
i'm getting the pit bull. seems like all the STG guys are using them and like them and that's good enough for me...

s3aturnr
misti likes this.

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Way to ride right thru it. I would have at least shook my head

I keep mine set hella low two. 2-4 clicks MAX on the ohlins.

When running on GPA's, I have to turn it up significantly...
:

Quote:
Cause everyone would just put an aftermarket one in it's place. It would save us all a lot of money not needing the mounting kits.

I rode with the V4 recently on my bike since the bearing shifted in my mount for my ohlins (6-8 crashes later
, yes it's been a RUFF season for my bike), and it was OK. I do prefer the linear feel honestly. I feel like it catches the shake sooner than the rotary one does. i found myself either dealing with head shake or having it too tight and the bike wasn't holding a straight line well. Some guys run them so stiff you cannot turn the bars, and they are pro riders... On the street I can't get by without one. On the track I have a couple spots where the bike wheelies when in a lean and that's when it's handy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
It doesn't come with one because the R6 geometry isn't complete shit, so it doesn't need one. Do they help? Sure. Is it a necessity? No.

A damper is just a band-aid for poorly set up suspension.

That being said, I have a damper and I absolutely love it.
In many other cases it's a band-aid for poor riding technique. I say this because in this video you can see it started for a split second right as the rider pulls himself up from the turn. I do it once in a while when fatigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_R6Ryder View Post
Looking to buy one soon.

I am gonna do the same thing, but I'm gonna order a couple of the new Ohlins ones since they are laser etched, look SICK, are much lighter and have the expensive piston kit in it from the factory now.
I love having access to all these shiny parts!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

3rd person view of the OP -

Start at 1:15

35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
The Retrofit Source
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

Holy shit, I puckered after seeing the 3rd person... Damn..

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM
A work in progress...

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Good save!

RIP Matt (Ghost R6). You will be greatly missed. Be smooth and the rubber turning till we meet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
"I refuse to tip toe through life to arrive safely at deaths door".
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
There is more to squidliness than just your gear.

post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Pobrecitos

Bike: 08 R6S + 08 R6LE

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

Wow, the third person view is much more dramatic. I thought it was just a little head shake, but that was serious bidness.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

That's what I thought, I had no idea how nasty it was.

The Retrofit Source
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in