Do I need a steering damper? - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 AM
I eat my R6

Re: Do I need a steering damper?

ive had more then a few times of that, walt (3rd-geer) was right behind me and thought i was going to be launched from the bike. its really only when i get tired or lazy with body position. i had money to blow so i picked up a nice ohlins damper but i dont expect it to perform miracles, if anything the head shake is always an indication to me that im doing something wrong and id rather it not be drowned out by a damper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sig by milko
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my build thread-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by My94GT View Post
i had money to blow so i picked up a nice ohlins damper but i dont expect it to perform miracles, if anything the head shake is always an indication to me that im doing something wrong and id rather it not be drowned out by a damper.
Ohlins will perform miracles.

Head shake is not an indication of you doing something wrong (not always)... it's also an indication of physics. You can't beat it alone, but Ohlins will help you. Isaac Newton would get a hard on if he saw what dampers could do.

Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters

Custom Leather & Vinyl

Lightweight Brake Rotors, Levers & Guards

Racer Training & Motorcycle Accessories/Parts/Repairs

Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 09 R6
I dont ride track much anymore (kids take most of that kind of play money ). I had a pretty severe head shake while changing lanes on the freeway and hit a what i think was a pothole. Was able to ride through it. Bought a Scott's damper the next day. It changed the entire feel if the bike on the street. Its set really loose but bad road bumps mid turn dont phase the bike one bit. Ill have one on any future bike i have. I think ill set my suspension up without one on it though. It does mask some suspension feel.

Learn to ride fast, Slowly.

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Azim View Post
Ohlins will perform miracles.

Head shake is not an indication of you doing something wrong (not always)... it's also an indication of physics. You can't beat it alone, but Ohlins will help you. Isaac Newton would get a hard on if he saw what dampers could do.
ive only rode with it once and it wasnt but a few laps before i low sided. i did notice that mid corner it helped clear up some vibrations i was noticing before and when i pull the front wheel it came down much smoother.

sig by milko

my build thread-

post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Suk it, Lee

Bet that puckered yer butthole pretty good.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2014 R6

I love head shakes....keep you awake haha.

Btw, can you post a pic of how you have your gopro mounted? I love this view and would like to run it for my next race.

CVMA #143

instagram shawn3210
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

yes i'll get a pic of the mount up next week once i get done with my pre-race maintenance.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

I hope your next race was two years in the future Shawn.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's the mount location and angle, and it's just using a few of the included brackets to get it oriented and angled properly.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:03 PM
My R6 eats me.

?
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:21 PM
My R6 eats me.

No one needs a helmet but its nice to have one just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in