Do I need a steering damper? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Do I need a steering damper?

Yes.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Wishing I was in PA

Bike: 2004 R6
Nice save! But yes damper ftw

Sent from space
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 02:38 PM
I eat my R6

Re: Do I need a steering damper?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i saw it coming from that corner, i was like "oooooohhhh!!!!!!!"

2013 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Geared Up Moto,

Build Thread:

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Stunt Rider

Bike: R6/R1 Hybrid

Saw the shit coming too!!! Sweet "oh shit" moment.

R6/R1 hybrid
Zeus Armor crash cage, sub-cage, stunt stay, subframe brace, R1 rectifier mod. ATC steel subframe & ATC 12 bar. Runman big rotor HB setup with r6 monoblock calipers. Stunter-X res clamp hose kit. Dented gas tank with HT moto grip. Kleen air mod. GPR V1 steering damper. Brembo RCS 19. SS brake lines. BMC air filter. ATC adjustable clip ons. Brembo 16x18 HB. 05 R1 front forks. 06 FZ-6 rear rotor. NGK plugs. DCP radiator cage. LP gas cap. Secondary radiator fan switch setup. HT Moto Rear Seat. Leo Vince CBR 250 exhaust. Naarden shark fin. 14/54t 520 gearing. Intergrated rear turn signals. Engine Ice. Shaved wind screen.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

Holy shit!

Side note-- That camera angle is flippin' sweet. I'm gonna have to try that I think.

...and you were lookin' REAL smooth out there man. Nice work.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 PM
The R stands for Respect!

Bike: 2012 YZF-R6

Why the R6 doesnt come stock with a stablizer blows my mind.
A steering damper is the first thing on my list for my winter mod session! I've been eyeing the GPR V4 Stabilizer, what brand/style you considering?
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Shiney up Rubber down

Bike: 04 Red R6 and 09 White R1

yep saw that one comin as well. Would a damper help... yeah. But it wont be a miracle worker. If the bars are going to slap, they're gonna do it even with a damper.

I have a stock damper on my 09 R1 and with the "right" (read: wrong) input on this one section of road I ride, it will tank slap EVERY TIME. But that doesn't keep me from being heavy handed when I ride that section, you just need to know how to react to it and remember where/how you made it happen, then try to make adjustments so that it doesn't happen again.

And... I think that you scared the guy behind you more than you scared yourself. haha.

ZW

Shiney up Rubber down

PHANTOM.... DID YOU BUY A BIKE YET?
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster View Post
Why the R6 doesnt come stock with a stablizer blows my mind.
A steering damper is the first thing on my list for my winter mod session! I've been eyeing the GPR V4 Stabilizer, what brand/style you considering?
It doesn't come with one because the R6 geometry isn't complete shit, so it doesn't need one. Do they help? Sure. Is it a necessity? No.

A damper is just a band-aid for poorly set up suspension.

That being said, I have a damper and I absolutely love it.
st3rl0 likes this.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Errybody Dougie

Bike: 2008 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
It doesn't come with one because the R6 geometry isn't complete shit, so it doesn't need one. Do they help? Sure. Is it a necessity? No.

A damper is just a band-aid for poorly set up suspension.

That being said, I have a damper and I absolutely love it.
This is what I read "fcuk you, fcuk you, fcuk you, you're cool"

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeZbot View Post
This is what I read "fcuk you, fcuk you, fcuk you, you're cool"

My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013

^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in