MX guys struggle to break habits on street? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: '06 R6, YZ250F, YZ125
MX guys struggle to break habits on street?

Hey guys, I've owned my bike for a few years now and have improved quite a bit over the years. I am always looking to get better though. I recently picked up the Riding Tips magazine that Sport Rider had out, just to brush up on things. I want to start doing track days and I'm sure that will help. Here is my problem, I have a mx background and I have a bad habit to wanting to lean the bike into a corner at a steeper angle than my body. I think the main reason is that it is embedded in my head in MX racing, to weight the outside peg. Is that simply not important on sportbikes, to do that? I have never felt like I can fully commit to the body position that would let me actually 'knee drag' and it really is because of the MX mentality. It doesn't really matter much on the street , as I have been able to stick with all my buddies to ride the streets, but I feel like I need to break the habit for the track. Any tips? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius
Re: MX guys struggle to break habits on street?

Youre overthinking it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Youre overthinking it.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Me and him both came from a mx background. I assume you can ride decent, so just get out there scoot your ass off the tank and put one ass check off the side. Then get your face where your mirror is.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Derp

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Youre overthinking it.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STT SOUTHERN DIVISION STAFF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

OP, when you're working on you body position, cause riding crossed up can easily lead to low-sides, you should focus on bending your inside elbow. It will force your upper body into the correct position. I find it much easier to focus on ONE thing at a time. If all you think about it bending that elbow you'll be pulling yourself into the right position all day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post

Me and him both came from a mx background. I assume you can ride decent, so just get out there scoot your ass off the tank and put one ass check off the side. Then get your face where your mirror is.
It didn't take you more than a couple sessions and your body position was great!

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 AM
pin it to win it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
OP, when you're working on you body position, cause riding crossed up can easily lead to low-sides, you should focus on bending your inside elbow. It will force your upper body into the correct position. I find it much easier to focus on ONE thing at a time. If all you think about it bending that elbow you'll be pulling yourself into the right position all day!

It didn't take you more than a couple sessions and your body position was great!
Bending that inside elbow helps a lot.

I could have done better if I had known to scoot off the tank. I had my dick stuck to the tank the whole day lol.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Wishing I was in PA

Bike: 2004 R6
MX here too. It was super weird for me to get used to it also.. Seat time & practice. Youll get used to it

Sent from space
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: '06 R6, YZ250F, YZ125

Ya, low-siding is my main concern. It's just hard for me to get confident gettin my body positioning to the inside (butt off the seat, head up by the mirror etc) when once a week, I am doing the opposite with my mx bike to keep it from lowsiding (as in, letting the bike lay at a flatter angle than my body and focusing on weighting the higher/outside peg). I think it's just a mental hurdle.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM
pin it to win it

Right, its just a mental hurdle.

Go fast parts:
, Shorai battery.

Body:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in