Difference between 06/07 and 08/09 Race Bodywork? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Difference between 06/07 and 08/09 Race Bodywork?

I just found a killer deal on a set of Race plastics for an 08 R6.... how different are they compared to the 06/07?

How much drilling/modification would I need to make it work? The biggest difference I would see is the tail section... maybe fairing stay?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Custom Leather & Vinyl

Lightweight Brake Rotors, Levers & Guards

Racer Training & Motorcycle Accessories/Parts/Repairs

Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Errybody Dougie

Bike: 2008 R6
Only thing you need to do is swap stays. Other than that I think you're good.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Re: Difference between 06/07 and 08/09 Race Bodywork?

You mean the belly tray? The fairing stay for the 06 and 08 look slightly different.... hard to tell just by looking at pictures.

Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters

Custom Leather & Vinyl

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:50 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Azim View Post
You mean the belly tray? The fairing stay for the 06 and 08 look slightly different.... hard to tell just by looking at pictures.

I just bolted a 2011 stay to my 2007…I can tell you the angles are waaay different where the windscreen attaches (speedo bolts just fine). I'll see how well my 2007 Armour bodies mount up later tonight..

If you have an extra 2006-2007 stay I'd trade you for my 2011.

Tail section is the same--but there will be a part where the seat doesn't cover--it all bolts up..but there will be a little gap..I'll get you a pic

2/1/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdamage2122 View Post
Same to you. Hope someday you are put in an unfair leathal position so I can say "well life just isn't fair...". I'm sure your family will agree

Last edited by Terrible; 10-12-2012 at 05:10 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '07R6 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible View Post
I just bolted a 2011 stay to my 2007I can tell you the angles are waaay different where the windscreen attaches (speedo bolts just fine). I'll see how well my 2007 Armour bodies mount up later tonight..

If you have an extra 2006-2007 stay I'd trade you for my 2011.

Tail section is the same--but there will be a part where the seat doesn't cover--it all bolts up..but there will be a little gap..I'll get you a pic
So you are mounting 2007 style body work to your bike using a 2011 fairing stay?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpr1 View Post
So you are mounting 2007 style body work to your bike using a 2011 fairing stay?
Yup--stock stay (2007) broke and a 2011 fell off a truck, so I'm gonna give it a shot. I can already tell the "ears" are at a way different angle, but I don't know how far off just yet..putting the kids to bed so I'll tackle it a little later. It's not a daily rider so if I need to take some pliers and get creative I'm fine with that.

It mounted to the bike just fine--as far as leading up to the intake track.

2/1/12
Quote:
Same to you. Hope someday you are put in an unfair leathal position so I can say "well life just isn't fair...". I'm sure your family will agree
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Cool - any final pictures would be appreciated! especially of that "gap"

Novice #84
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2013 Sponsors/Supporters

Custom Leather & Vinyl

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 AM
I eat my R6

I used blue tape to cover the gap when I first put it all together..but honestly--you can't really see it when riding so….

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2/1/12
Quote:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Azim View Post
the fairing stays are a fair amount different, and you would need the plastic ram air tube between the fairing and the fairing stay as well .. the tail section, as you can see from the photos the guy above was nice enough to post "works" but isn't ideal. If you got a smoking deal? why not. but the fairing stay and plastic 2 piece tube will need to be changed. So how good a deal is it now

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:31 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '07R6 Track

Nice, Thanks for posting. I'm assuming that's the 07 seat? I wonder if a seat swap would be possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in